High School Try Out Blues

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My daughter has been excited about cheering for her high school for a few months now. All that went out of the window at the 1st day of try outs today. She cheers all-star and was expecting more skills and a lot of girls. 17 girls were at try outs she said, 1/2 of which had no experience whatsoever. Due to the small number of girls they've decided to keep everyone. She's thinking of quitting because she thinks they're gonna suck. Anyone have any ideas to get her excitement back? She'd be cheering both all-star and high school at the same time
If she is going to quit, she needs to do it sooner rather than later. Also, if she has never done school cheer before, she doesn't have any experience either. ;)

Coming from the other side, my cp was on a team with some all-star girls who thought that they were better than everyone else because they had better tumbling skills. Problem was it took one of them three years to learn to do the words and motions together correctly. Like @cheerforeverever said the focus is on game day and if she needs to be enthusiastic and lead the crowd with her cheering skills, not her all-star skills.

Good luck to you both!

I'm in very much the same situation in terms of my daughter will be a freshman cheerleader and also does AS. We talked before tryouts and she knew from watching the cheerleaders at her brother's football games the last 3 years what the teams were like. We talked about the differences in the AS and HS cheer. She gets it. Yes, it's slow for her at times and she gets frustrated but she keeps it in check. She likes the friends she's making and the school spirit she knows will come with the "job." lol They get to cheer at orientation tomorrow and she's got the usual nervousness and anxiety, which I find funny because my little darling is not shy.

Just talk to your daughter and help her keep things in perspective. :)
Let us know how cheering at orientation goes!

So practice yesterday went great! Now that she knows what to expect, she enjoyed it. She realized it's a lot like rec and she cheered rec for 6 years and still volunteers there. She helped set up stations, worked with flyers and ran conditioning. She told her coach about a tumbling class close by and they're gonna make fliers to try and get the rest of the team to go to tumbling. She has decided together they can make the team really good. Her coach called me last night to tell me she was super helpful and had nothing but good things to say.

I'm guessing Wednesday was just a wake up call. She saw high school teams before and thought all Varsity teams were on a level 3-5. She told me the good thing about high school is they practice more than All-Star so they have time to get it together. :)

So practice yesterday went great! Now that she knows what to expect, she enjoyed it. She realized it's a lot like rec and she cheered rec for 6 years and still volunteers there. She helped set up stations, worked with flyers and ran conditioning. She told her coach about a tumbling class close by and they're gonna make fliers to try and get the rest of the team to go to tumbling. She has decided together they can make the team really good. Her coach called me last night to tell me she was super helpful and had nothing but good things to say.

I'm guessing Wednesday was just a wake up call. She saw high school teams before and thought all Varsity teams were on a level 3-5. She told me the good thing about high school is they practice more than All-Star so they have time to get it together. :)

Great! All it takes sometimes is a different perspective on things. ;)

Let us know how cheering at orientation goes!

Well, my little freshman was mortified to get up there in front of the 15 boys she currently has a crush on and cheer but she did it. Oh and she HATES the uniform they had to wear. "It makes us look like bells!" LOL

Yeah, yeah, shut up and get to practice, kid.

Last edited:
Well, my little freshman was mortified to get up there in front of the 15 boys she has a currently has a crush on and cheer but she did it. Oh and she HATES the uniform they had to wear. "It makes us look like bells!" LOL

Yeah, yeah, shut up and get to practice, kid.
15! Glad she was able to overcome her fear!

Too bad about the uniform, but that's funny!

15! Glad she was able to overcome her fear!

Too bad about the uniform, but that's funny!

I'm not too worried about the boys since her brother won't let any look at her. I'm safe for this school year. Ha!

And I don't know what her problem is with this particular uni because I love it. :rolleyes:

So CP made Varsity Cheer. She and 2 other freshman made the team. It will be interesting she will have cheer 7 days a week until after Thanksgiving. Can't wait to watch her at games
That is great that her high school chooses the best candidates for Varsity. At our high school only Juniors and Seniors can make Varsity, only Sophomores and Juniors can make JV, and Freshman can only be on the Freshman squad. I used to think it was unfair since the other sports don't have that restriction but I have had a change of heart. This restriction gives the younger girls something to look forward to and allows them to interact with girls their own age. How exciting for you and our CP though! Congrats!

Back