College Try Out/program Info

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 19, 2013
I'm currently a senior in high school and plan on trying out for college cheer in the spring. I am looking into programs that do not have tumbling requirements (I have knee, back, and hamstring problems that make any backward tumbling excruciatingly painful). I was wondering if anyone has any information on the teams at the following schools. What's the general atmosphere of the team and the school's attitude towards the team? What is financial and time commitment? Do you travel (for games or competitions)? Do you compete? On average, how big is the team from year to year (how many returners and how many newcomers?) Is there specific try out information available yet (I know it's early, so any estimate on when it will be available is hugely appreciated!)

Sonoma State
Cal State East Bay
Chico State
Santa Clara University
Cal Poly SLO
University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
Maryville University

Any additional info is welcome! If anyone has any suggestions on more schools to look into, I would really appreciate it! I'm planning on double majoring in photography (as it's own major or through a studio art path) and marketing, and am open to pretty much anywhere in the US, if that helps :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Maryville university has a coed team. From the photo it looks like there were 22ish members last year. If you go to the site it has a form you can fill out, id assume so that they can start contact with potential cheerleaders! I'd start by filling that out. If you do that you can probably get your questions answered directly by the coach!
[email protected] to contact CSU coach
Cal Poly still has their requirements from last year up so you can probably go off those for general requirements, approximate time of year, etc. but they do accept video tryouts

Maryville university has a coed team. From the photo it looks like there were 22ish members last year. If you go to the site it has a form you can fill out, id assume so that they can start contact with potential cheerleaders! I'd start by filling that out. If you do that you can probably get your questions answered directly by the coach!
[email protected] to contact CSU coach
Cal Poly still has their requirements from last year up so you can probably go off those for general requirements, approximate time of year, etc. but they do accept video tryouts

Thank you so much! I already filled out the info for Maryville but wasn't able to find that info for East Bay and Cal Poly before, so thank you :)

Thank you so much! I already filled out the info for Maryville but wasn't able to find that info for East Bay and Cal Poly before, so thank you :)

I usually just google "(name of school) cheer" bc it's often hard to find starting from the college site. Usually you find at least SOMETHING... Although sometimes it's a Facebook page that hasn't been updated since 2011 :rolleyes: I wish more college (and allstar) programs were more on top of that, how do they expect people from outside the area to know anything about them?

I PM'ed you, but I also have info about Cal Poly SLO, and Santa Clara University.
First up, SCU - they're grounded. Sorry. I know the coach that was their and fought for them to not be grounded but the administration decided otherwise. So, needless to say they don't compete.
Cal Poly - My former coach is friends with their coach, and my former team always seemed to be at the same places as Cal Poly. They compete in STUNT, USA Collegiate Championships, and for the first time this past season, UCA Collegiate Nationals. Not everyone has the team has tumbling, from what I've seen being at the same competitions and competing against them in STUNT, but a lot of them have bhs' and a few have tucks. They attend UCA College Camp at UCSB every year and do pretty well. I do know they have a website that gives an idea of commitments and costs. From what I've seen the school seems to like them, and from personal experience, the coach and the team have been nothing but nice to the team I was on (before retiring).
Also, just from what I've noticed being in Northern California… CSU East Bay has a cheer team but they don't compete, pretty sure there are no requirements (stunting/tumbling). A quick google search showed them doing illegal stunts (2 1/2 high pyramids on a basketball court) which is kinda a red flag for me. Either they're unaware of the safety rules or they don't care.
Chico also has a cheer team but they also don't compete. I think they might do like some exhibitions at local JAMZ competitions and stuff, but I've never seen or heard of them at UCA/NCA/USA. Apparently they're planning to go to UCA College camp in August, but this must be a new thing because they haven't gone in past years.

Try finding real email addresses. You may get much better results since you never know who is checking the facebook pages.

Yes. If you can find a cheer coach email address on the athletics site, that's your best bet.

If not, try to the Athletic Director or Assistant Athletic Director.

Some schools also have a Director of Spirit Programs or something to that effect that deals with cheer, dance, mascots, etc.

I PM'ed you, but I also have info about Cal Poly SLO, and Santa Clara University.
First up, SCU - they're grounded. Sorry. I know the coach that was their and fought for them to not be grounded but the administration decided otherwise. So, needless to say they don't compete.
Cal Poly - My former coach is friends with their coach, and my former team always seemed to be at the same places as Cal Poly. They compete in STUNT, USA Collegiate Championships, and for the first time this past season, UCA Collegiate Nationals. Not everyone has the team has tumbling, from what I've seen being at the same competitions and competing against them in STUNT, but a lot of them have bhs' and a few have tucks. They attend UCA College Camp at UCSB every year and do pretty well. I do know they have a website that gives an idea of commitments and costs. From what I've seen the school seems to like them, and from personal experience, the coach and the team have been nothing but nice to the team I was on (before retiring).
Also, just from what I've noticed being in Northern California… CSU East Bay has a cheer team but they don't compete, pretty sure there are no requirements (stunting/tumbling). A quick google search showed them doing illegal stunts (2 1/2 high pyramids on a basketball court) which is kinda a red flag for me. Either they're unaware of the safety rules or they don't care.
Chico also has a cheer team but they also don't compete. I think they might do like some exhibitions at local JAMZ competitions and stuff, but I've never seen or heard of them at UCA/NCA/USA. Apparently they're planning to go to UCA College camp in August, but this must be a new thing because they haven't gone in past years.
Thank you for the info! I've been able to connect with the Cal Poly coaches and have a meeting set up with someone from the team in a few weeks when I tour the school :)
That's a bit concerning about East Bay...I'll definitely have to look into that more.
For SCU, by grounded do you mean they don't stunt?

Yes. If you can find a cheer coach email address on the athletics site, that's your best bet.

If not, try to the Athletic Director or Assistant Athletic Director.

Some schools also have a Director of Spirit Programs or something to that effect that deals with cheer, dance, mascots, etc.
It didn't even occur to me to go through the athletic director. Thank you!

Thank you for the info! I've been able to connect with the Cal Poly coaches and have a meeting set up with someone from the team in a few weeks when I tour the school :)
That's a bit concerning about East Bay...I'll definitely have to look into that more.
For SCU, by grounded do you mean they don't stunt?

They do not stunt nor tumble. It happened a few years ago. The administration decided to randomly ground the team, there were no previous injuries from stunting on the team (that I know of) or in the news when they made the decision. I know the coach at the time who tried to convince them otherwise, but after they decided to ground them, she resigned.

I'm currently a senior in high school and plan on trying out for college cheer in the spring. I am looking into programs that do not have tumbling requirements (I have knee, back, and hamstring problems that make any backward tumbling excruciatingly painful). I was wondering if anyone has any information on the teams at the following schools. What's the general atmosphere of the team and the school's attitude towards the team? What is financial and time commitment? Do you travel (for games or competitions)? Do you compete? On average, how big is the team from year to year (how many returners and how many newcomers?) Is there specific try out information available yet (I know it's early, so any estimate on when it will be available is hugely appreciated!)

Sonoma State
Cal State East Bay
Chico State
Santa Clara University
Cal Poly SLO
University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
Maryville University

Any additional info is welcome! If anyone has any suggestions on more schools to look into, I would really appreciate it! I'm planning on double majoring in photography (as it's own major or through a studio art path) and marketing, and am open to pretty much anywhere in the US, if that helps :)

A lot of those happen to be cali schools, so sac state is another.

They do not stunt nor tumble. It happened a few years ago. The administration decided to randomly ground the team, there were no previous injuries from stunting on the team (that I know of) or in the news when they made the decision. I know the coach at the time who tried to convince them otherwise, but after they decided to ground them, she resigned.

Well that's a bit disappointing :(

Back