All-Star Tryout Craziness

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
I know a lot of gyms are having their tryouts soon. Ours is the second week in May.
But the funny thing i notice in the gym now is all of a sudden so many kids are taking all kinds of privates (tumbling, stunting, etc.). But the thing that bothers me about this is why didn't a lot of these kids do all these things sooner during the year to improve their skills and help their teams? I don't think they realize that all of us coaches in the gym watch these kids all year & when tryouts roll around, we also take into consideration besides their skills is their work ethic, their attitudes, their attendance, etc. And gotta love all the moms sucking up too!!:)
Any other gyms going thru all this?​

I know a lot of gyms are having their tryouts soon. Ours is the second week in May.
But the funny thing i notice in the gym now is all of a sudden so many kids are taking all kinds of privates (tumbling, stunting, etc.). But the thing that bothers me about this is why didn't a lot of these kids do all these things sooner during the year to improve their skills and help their teams? I don't think they realize that all of us coaches in the gym watch these kids all year & when tryouts roll around, we also take into consideration besides their skills is their work ethic, their attitudes, their attendance, etc. And gotta love all the moms sucking up too!!:)
Any other gyms going thru all this?​

You can always tell when it's tryout season.

glad to see coaches are aware of whats REALLY going on.....
It must some what work or it wouldn't happen every year! lol

Same thing with high school tryouts, they try much harder when they know spots are up for grabs.
The girls throw all this tumbling, but never want to do it at games. First of all, if I had a standing tuck, I'd do it as much as I physically could! That's a great accomplishment. Second of all, it's part of the reason you made the team - others would love to be cheering and probably wouldn't complain as much! :rolleyes:

Most of those people are trying to get skills last minute, yes.

But here's another take on it. This time of year is the only time a lot of us can AFFORD privates. At $60 per hour on average, there's no way I could pay that during the season, when I'm spending HUNDREDS on comp fees, tuition, travel, etc. But now that the season is over I've got a little money freed up, so what's wrong with working some skills that we don't have time or money for the rest of the year?

Which would you rather - the kids are in the gym, taking privates, working skills... Or the kids are GONE for the whole month, not working anything?

You mention the thing about the privates and what not but thats not necessarily true.

My daughter has took at least 2 privates a week for over a year. When our last competition ended over a month ago we moved to Texas. Tryouts didn't start till this past week but so my daughter could meet the coaches and get use to the gym. I enrolled her in a tumbling class and let her take privates the second we got here.

I certainly hope they don't perceive it as I'm enrolling my daughter early and taking privates to try to get extra skills for tryouts because they will be pleasantly surprised when the privates continue all year.
Furthermore the privates are for tumbling and my daughter is tumbling level 3 already. We are only trying out for level 2 so obviously it's not like I'm trying to get her layout so we can tryout level 4.

I know there is some parents in the gym who see me there all the time who probably wish I would leave. Also I made one of the coaches cookies and it wasn't because I was sucking up for placements heck he isn't the owner and in years past only teaches tumbling... so for others who are at our gym and think they got me all figured out they are so wrong. So maybe yes some people do it but not all people are in there for those reasons y'all mentioned above.

Most of those people are trying to get skills last minute, yes.

But here's another take on it. This time of year is the only time a lot of us can AFFORD privates. At $60 per hour on average, there's no way I could pay that during the season, when I'm spending HUNDREDS on comp fees, tuition, travel, etc. But now that the season is over I've got a little money freed up, so what's wrong with working some skills that we don't have time or money for the rest of the year?

Which would you rather - the kids are in the gym, taking privates, working skills... Or the kids are GONE for the whole month, not working anything?
oh we are glad to see them working. it's just the ones that are lazy all year then all of a sudden they decide to do some work.

You mention the thing about the privates and what not but thats not necessarily true.

My daughter has took at least 2 privates a week for over a year. When our last competition ended over a month ago we moved to Texas. Tryouts didn't start till this past week but so my daughter could meet the coaches and get use to the gym. I enrolled her in a tumbling class and let her take privates the second we got here.

I certainly hope they don't perceive it as I'm enrolling my daughter early and taking privates to try to get extra skills for tryouts because they will be pleasantly surprised when the privates continue all year.
Furthermore the privates are for tumbling and my daughter is tumbling level 3 already. We are only trying out for level 2 so obviously it's not like I'm trying to get her layout so we can tryout level 4.

I know there is some parents in the gym who see me there all the time who probably wish I would leave. Also I made one of the coaches cookies and it wasn't because I was sucking up for placements heck he isn't the owner and in years past only teaches tumbling... so for others who are at our gym and think they got me all figured out they are so wrong. So maybe yes some people do it but not all people are in there for those reasons y'all mentioned above.

That's a little different. I think what coach12 is talking about is the kids who've done nothing all year, but all of a sudden there's a manic attitude about getting a new skill.

oh we are glad to see them working. it's just the ones that are lazy all year then all of a sudden they decide to do some work.

Oh Haha. We don't really have those. The lazy ones stay lazy year round. ;) During the break they are nowhere to be found.

But we are a smaller gym, so working skills last minute won't really benefit them because they'd have to move up a LOT skillwise to be placed on a higher team. Our senior teams are only level 3 and 5, so I doubt someone is going to go up to level 5 just by taking privates for a month.

But I see what you mean.

I guess i should have explained myself better. Of course we are THRILLED to see the kids working hard and pushing themselves.
And we have also had quite a few kids new to our gym come in and take privates - probably as was mentioned above - to get used to our gym and our coaches - which is all great.
I am mainly referring to the kids that really are lazy, but just realized that tryouts are right around the corner so now they decide to do something....

I guess i should have explained myself better. Of course we are THRILLED to see the kids working hard and pushing themselves.
And we have also had quite a few kids new to our gym come in and take privates - probably as was mentioned above - to get used to our gym and our coaches - which is all great.
I am mainly referring to the kids that really are lazy, but just realized that tryouts are right around the corner so now they decide to do something....
It's not limited to just allstar either. When a sophomore suddenly moved up to the varsity VB squad, suddenly all the girls began working really hard...huh.

Latest posts

Back