All-Star Tryout Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 6, 2015
The planets have aligned and it's finally time to get my baby ready for her first team selection. What do you wear for these things? I have a custom bow and tank on the way but what kind of shoes and shorts would you recommend. She is two and a half and I want her to look extra special because I am clearly living vicariously. Thank you!

Moderators: I'm really sorry if this isn't in the correct location. I looked at all the forum options and this seemed like the best one.

I didn’t know there were teams for little bits that age.

But I digress. A pair of soft cotton shorts and a T-shirt with her hair in a ponytail are all you need.

Since she's going to be a tiny I would put her in something comfortable. Ehen my 16yo was a mini scratchy anything was death to her and distracted her from practice. Academy has soft soffees or volleyball shorts she would like. I probably wouldn't splurge on Nike Pros until she's a little older in case of accidents. Nothing is worse than your toddler wetting a pair of $50 practice shorts...LOL. Shoes are probably the same, something she's comfortable in, even if it's just her everyday runners. Depending on gym they will have you buy specific sneakers when you order uniforms.
Buckle up and enjoy the ride!

I didn’t know there were teams for little bits that age.

But I digress. A pair of soft cotton shorts and a T-shirt with her hair in a ponytail are all you need.
Thank you!
It was news to me as well. I believe it is called Tiny Novice? I imagine it's hilarious.

Since she's going to be a tiny I would put her in something comfortable. Ehen my 16yo was a mini scratchy anything was death to her and distracted her from practice. Academy has soft soffees or volleyball shorts she would like. I probably wouldn't splurge on Nike Pros until she's a little older in case of accidents. Nothing is worse than your toddler wetting a pair of $50 practice shorts...LOL. Shoes are probably the same, something she's comfortable in, even if it's just her everyday runners. Depending on gym they will have you buy specific sneakers when you order uniforms.
Buckle up and enjoy the ride!
Hahah! Thank you! I'll grab some tennis shoes then.

Hahah! Thank you! I'll grab some tennis shoes then.
Comfort above all so break the shoes in before if you can or have her wear a pair she already has.
It's not, and shouldn't be, too serious at that age. I always say if you can get on a Tiny team on the floor without anyone crying or peeing their pants it's a win.
Enjoy the journey, keep it fun and don't take Allstar too seriously.

Comfort above all so break the shoes in before if you can or have her wear a pair she already has.
It's not, and shouldn't be, too serious at that age. I always say if you can get on a Tiny team on the floor without anyone crying or peeing their pants it's a win.
Enjoy the journey, keep it fun and don't take Allstar too seriously.
Amen. Thank you! I'll find some comfy shoes.

I'd check with the gym. Our previous gym specifically said white tshirt and red, blue or black shorts. Current gym had gym shirts for tryouts last year.

Honestly, they're going to be super cute at that age, just because three years olds are frickin adorable no matter. So, whatever you put her in will be adorbs. My youngest started at 5, but she's the size of a 3 year old and has some special needs (language and adoption/orphanage delays). I bought her a tiny pair of cheer shoes through Omni cheer, just because I thought they were cute, and a sports bra and shorts at target in XS. She looked so so cute out there!

Aww..you need to post a pic on tryout day!! I am super jealous..the team my older girls started with wouldn't let them start until 5..and my youngest has a Sept birthday so will miss out this year..she will be almost 4 when she can start...and I have tall, leggy kids that look 7 by the time they are 4...never did get that cute Pre-K cheer photo op! You enjoy your little cutie...what fun!!

Does your gym have try outs for tiny/novice? Ours does not. They will just sign up and be assigned a team I believe.
We held tryouts for tiny and tiny novice but it was really basic so just seeing how they listen and follow instruction and doing a few basic things like forward rolls and little jumps. We are in the UK and everyone makes a team anyway but we still hold tryouts.

Back