High School Tryout Preperation

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 19, 2013
Hi, the summer just began for me and next year I'll be a freshman in highschool. Tryouts for cheerleader are on August 13, 14 and 15th. I would like to make varsity, but would be happy to make any team. How can I prepare myself over the summer to help myself make a team? (such as excersise, stretching, diet)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

-First and foremost: Look up what your school's tryout requirements will be.
(Do they require tumbling? Are there certain age/grade reqs for each squad? etc. )

-Work smart. Know what you will be judged on.
(What components will you be scored on at tryouts? Do they make you do a cheer, dance, jumps, etc? Are they all scored equally, or are some things worth more points on the score sheet than others?)

-Go consistently to a tumbling class every week. If you can afford to go + you are able to go two times a week, even better.

-Condition, condition, condition! It makes a big difference in your body's ability to learn and perform skills. Try to do this consistently several times a week (but not every day, so as to let your muscles rest and repair). Planks are your friend.
( Conditioning | For the "Love" of TumblingFor the "Love" of Tumbling ......this site also has stretching tips!)

-Work on your motions in the mirror often, so that every motion is sharp and placed correctly.
Typically, there is some sort of cheer or chant or dance in tryouts, which is an easy place to pick up points on the score sheet. Plus, being extremely clean with your motions makes you stand out.

-Make sure your jump technique is correct and that your jumps are clean.
If possible, do 5 of each jump per day, several days a week.
High jumps that are sloppy or have incorrect form < low to mid level jumps that are correct & clean.

-Don't worry about trying to go on a diet. Instead EAT HEALTHY! Opt for fruits & veggies rather than processed snack foods. Eat grilled instead of fried. Drink water instead of sugary drinks. Look at what you are putting into your body (nutrition facts & ingredients) because your body deserves good nutrients & vitamins! Simple things like this when kept in balance will make your body feel more energetic. You don't have to try and cut things out or go cold turkey on things you like to eat (because that usually backfires on people and they end up eating worse than they originally did). Just try to keep a good ratio of 70- 95% healthy things vs. non healthy things.

-Stretch every day. Straddle, lunges, right/left/middle splits, arms, shoulders, bridge, etc.

-Test your abilities to pick up choreography (assuming you will have to learn a cheer or dance for the tryout during some sort of clinic). Look up a cheer on youtube & try to learn it, then perform it by yourself (without having to look at the video). See how long it takes you to pick it up correctly by yourself. Give your brain a workout ;) along with physical workouts.

Like the person above said work on cleanliness and technique. Make sure your loud but you are using your diaphragm to yell not your throat. This will help you not loose your voice.

As a coach, I think the biggest things are smiling always when performing, even if you mess up. Watch videos on dance routines to see if you can pick up the choreo. Work on your motions everyday. even if it is for a few minutes. Stretch everyday,

Coaches can see potential in athletes, we know what we can work with. So just go out there and try your best.

As a coach, I think the biggest things are smiling always when performing, even if you mess up. Watch videos on dance routines to see if you can pick up the choreo. Work on your motions everyday. even if it is for a few minutes. Stretch everyday,

Coaches can see potential in athletes, we know what we can work with. So just go out there and try your best.
I love your profile picture ! It is so cute

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back