All-Star Tryout Procedures And Summer Practices.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 17, 2010
How does everyone run their tryouts? And How are practices done in the summer? Just trying to switch things up a bit and get some new ideas.

We just joined this gym last year but what they did then was hold open practices from the last comp until about August then decide where to place most kids. I was so looking forward to this again this year. I just bought a car (haven't had a payment in 10 years) and my x quit paying child support, insurance went up AND so did gas (of course, I'm in a gas guzzler now) so money is tight. I was hoping to at least take a month off (we drive almost 50 miles one way) to catch up. Well of course not!!!!!!!!! This year they have decided to go straight into practice with new team members when we get back from our Apr comp. Then we are going to be having camp down at the coast this summer along with a comp there to!! And that is all taking place one week after we get back from our pre-paid vacation at the coast!! GRRRRR (lol)

Anyway, that's what they are doing this year. Basically no time off!

Part 1- Registration and receive tryout # and when to return for tumbling evaluation
Part 2- Return for one night based on your tumbling level
Part 3- Call Backs. Come one or more nights to practice/stunt with prospective team

We used to have the athletes come in based on age as well, but we found that it takes up tons of time, and just isn't necessary

My favorite way to do it has always been to do a clinic the first week of May, tryouts the second week of may, teams posted at the end of that week, 3rd week of May is when you get all of your coaches together to go over technique/training/goals for the season, etc... then start practices at the end of May.

I run tryouts according to Age/Level. Level 1-2 at one time, 3-4 at one time, etc. I don't just use tumbling to decide what level they are. If I know a kid has no tumbling but can stunt Level 4, I would put them in the Level 4 group. I like to teach Jumps and a Motion Sequence, then evaluate stunting skills. Personally, I like a working tryout, meaning I don't need to see you by yourself in front of me at a judges table- I think it takes way too long. I'd rather just be walking around with a clipboard evaluating as they do things. Once teams are made, I make sure to tell them that anyone can be moved up or down as we see fit, and that these team placements only reflect "summer training groups"

The first weekend of June I would hold a "general skills" camp- going over motion technique, jumps, tumbling, stunt basics, team bonding, etc. As soon as school ends, I like to do a 3-day stunt camp with the whole program. It gives everyone a chance to meet each other, and more importantly allows you to teach your mini level 1 team the same basic technique for things as your senior 5 (example: Minis go from 9-12, Youth from 9-1, Juniors from 9-2, Seniors 9-3) I like to practice 2 days a week all summer, and give them a "vacation week" in the end of july/beginning of august to plan their trips during, so you aren't missing that many kids for practices. Vacation Week is also "Team Week"... for the people who don't go on vacation, I like to plan activities for them- ice cream social, beach day, picnic, etc... I allow 2 absences for the summer- which includes family vacations and other sports/activities.

If you can do it, run tumbling classes all summer. If not, use one of your practices for an hour of team tumble. I would do 2 practices, 2 hours each, looking something like this:

DAY 1:
15min stretch
1hr tumble
30 min stunt
15 min condition

DAY 2:
15 min stretch
30 min jump
45 min stunt
15 min conditioning
15 min team bonding/games/activities

Then, you have choreography, which for me works best in mid to late August. That gives you one or two weeks to get the counts in their heads fairly solid, before they have to go back to school:)

That's my ideal plan, kind of a mishmosh of my own ideas and things I've done in the past:)

The month of April our practices are optional. They spend the time tumbling and working on the next level stunts.
The first two weeks of may are tryouts. You come during the time of the team you'd like to try out for (usually there is a mini and and youth then levels 3, 4 and 5) The teams are pretty much set at this time and they practice somewhat as usual for the rest of may and June.
July 6th starts the various camps and practice becomes mandatory for the rest of the season. At the end ofAugust there is a final tweaking of the teams.

We have our last comp at the end of April and then we tumble based on level 1-4 nights a week(you can do 1 night or 4 your choice or none). Then we have tryouts towards the end of May and then they post the teams a week later. Team practices start after that with choreography at the end of July.

Then, you have choreography, which for me works best in mid to late August. That gives you one or two weeks to get the counts in their heads fairly solid, before they have to go back to school:)
I'm jealous of wherever you live! Kids here get out of school in June and go back the first weekday of August. So cramming in summer practices, camps and vacations in about 6 weeks is challenging! Choreo is the worst thing to plan because June feels too early but July is so crammed with school and 4th of July vacations!

We have try-outs April 11-22. They are very casual, just drop in whenever and show what you have. Teams posted the last week of April, practice starts 1st week of May. Summer practices are mostly skill-building and choreographing the dance. We will accept new members after try-outs though provided there is space on a team based on the athlete's age and skill level. There are routine camps, etc, throughout the summer too.

Split Age group,
then split skill level,
then jumps, tumbling.
It's really simple actually, even though i don't cheer anymore, this is how it was done.

Since you had to fill out a tryout packet with the skills you threw by yourself before tryout day, our tryouts were always split by age and ability level,but it was kind of like an initial level tryout and then official team placings were later. The tryout groups were:
6-8 year olds (all ability levels since they were almost all lv 1 or 2 :mini/youth)
9-12 year olds (1-2: youth/junior)
9-12 year olds(3-5: youth/junior)
13-18 year olds (level 1-3 together:junior/senior)
13-18 year olds (level 4-5 together:junior/senior)
We essentially did a circuit of jumps, tumbling and random stunting where they put you, in order to test your abilities and potential. After this initial tryout, coaches could get an idea of what teams they wanted to field that year. The next day, practice groups were posted, which were usually a grouping of 2 teams with a lot of athletes that could go either way (example: all junior 2/3 kids + senior 2/3 kids are a group. all junior 4/5 + senior 4/5 are a group). We would work out in those practice groups for around 3 weeks for 2 practices a week drilling skills and trying out flyers/stunting positions in order for the coaches to have a pretty solid idea of who was needed where. Then the coaches would post who made what team.

I'm jealous of wherever you live! Kids here get out of school in June and go back the first weekday of August. So cramming in summer practices, camps and vacations in about 6 weeks is challenging! Choreo is the worst thing to plan because June feels too early but July is so crammed with school and 4th of July vacations!

That's crazy! How long are your school days? Our days are about 7.5-8hrs, depending upon the school.... usually get out the third week of June and go back the first week of Sept:)

That's crazy! How long are your school days? Our days are about 7.5-8hrs, depending upon the school.... usually get out the third week of June and go back the first week of Sept:)
7 hour days. They get out this year on June 6th and go back August 1st!

:eek: I could NEVER sit at school for 8 hours!! What are the hours of their school? and what grades?!

Back