High School Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This year 10% will be a score from me, and 90% with me an outside panel judging them on a cheer, dance, jumps, and tumbling.

This is the first year I've had a say, and I believe it's important. I am not "out to get" any child, but I also think that if you've been on the team and caused a lot of problems, it should be taken into account. It's not a make or break, but it counts. It says a lot when none of the parents, coaches or other cheerleaders want you on the team. My 10% will not cut them by itself, but it will ensure they need to step it up and understand that making it is NOT a given when you cause problems in previous years. I evaluate all of them, and I think overall I am more than lenient with my scores. If anything, I'm too generous, especially for kids I don't know very well. Just because I heard someone doesn't like you doesn't impact me-I use what you've SHOWN me.

As far as sideline, skill doesn't matter. It just doesn't. I can teach stunting and cheers and show you how to do motions properly. I'm looking at the kids that learned the cheer, and then went home and actually practiced it. And not just practiced it, but practiced it until they couldn't get it wrong because making the team was THAT important to them. I want those kids, and that's what I tell the judges I'm looking for. My sideline teams needs to have the kids that are excited, happy to be there and want to work hard.

I can worry about skills for my comp try-outs, where I have much less drama because they practice more and are on the same page as far as their goals.
THIS! I said this about the homecoming routine and pissed off the captain's mom. For some unknown reason, there is a tradition of not starting to practice the routine until two weeks before homecoming. Some girls struggle to learn it in that time. I do love that saying.

Mom brag: Every year, we have had girls over at our house trying to learn routines, dances, and cheers for tryouts and beyond. Plus, my cp has had to send numerous videos of her doing them to her teammates. It is expected this year since she is captain, but previously, she was just another team member. But, it has always been important to her that everyone knows the material or it makes them all look bad.

THIS! I said this about the homecoming routine and pissed off the captain's mom. For some unknown reason, there is a tradition of not starting to practice the routine until two weeks before homecoming. Some girls struggle to learn it in that time. I do love that saying.

Mom brag: Every year, we have had girls over at our house trying to learn routines, dances, and cheers for tryouts and beyond. Plus, my cp has had to send numerous videos of her doing them to her teammates. It is expected this year since she is captain, but previously, she was just another team member. But, it has always been important to her that everyone knows the material or it makes them all look bad.

I put videos up, all of my seniors go out of their way to meet with incoming girls and help them, and I tell them from the beginning that I want nothing more than every single person to walk in and know the material perfectly. I would take them all. We don't have a set number, and I cut the ones that obviously didn't bother to even try. Last year the first group walked in, and I asked them to do the cheer. Two girls stood there and said "I don't know it unless someone is doing it in front of me." No. That's not how this works.

And let's be real... The ones I was like "awe, they kinda tried, I'll take a chance" are ALWAYS the ones that disappoint and don't learn the cheers during the season. They are always the ones that quit, or make excuses, and/or have a bad attitude because in the end, it doesn't really matter that much to them. With much larger numbers this year, I have no problems cutting those kids because I now know how it ends. I'm saving myself the headache.

Totally agree fairness is so important with try outs. We've never used outside judges but have never had any complaints or questions (yet!!) because I think we choose teams based on what is best for our program. If you are a competitive program you really need to stick with the strongest making your team.

The term favorites is used but is there anything wrong with choosing a kid who works extremely hard, is dependable and has a great attitude over a kid who may have some more talent but has given you problems?? Again I always want to choose the most talented kids for varsity so it makes me so mad when someone who is totally capable of making varsity doesn't have the commitment level.

I put videos up, all of my seniors go out of their way to meet with incoming girls and help them, and I tell them from the beginning that I want nothing more than every single person to walk in and know the material perfectly. I would take them all. We don't have a set number, and I cut the ones that obviously didn't bother to even try. Last year the first group walked in, and I asked them to do the cheer. Two girls stood there and said "I don't know it unless someone is doing it in front of me." No. That's not how this works.

And let's be real... The ones I was like "awe, they kinda tried, I'll take a chance" are ALWAYS the ones that disappoint and don't learn the cheers during the season. They are always the ones that quit, or make excuses, and/or have a bad attitude because in the end, it doesn't really matter that much to them. With much larger numbers this year, I have no problems cutting those kids because I now know how it ends. I'm saving myself the headache.

"I don't know it unless someone is doing it with me."

Bless her heart.

I put up videos as well. That way when they come in to clinics, they are not learning it, but getting it game ready.

I had some complaints about that from the parents because they want me or another cheerleader to hold their hand and demo it step by step.

I view clinics as a time for feedback and refinement. Not step-by-step teaching.

I do it that way for a reason. When school is out, they get a cheer DVD with all cheers. Their job is to learn them. That way when we start to practice after that 3 week break, we can spend our practice on mostly stunting, tumbling, and cleaning up cheers. Not learning 30 cheers from scratch.

It's a change from JV so it throws a lot of parents/kids off. But doing it like that during tryouts shows me who is capable of making an effort to learn, and who is going to be that girl who knows no cheers after the break because "no one taught me."

I totally agree with all of you in the examples shown above, and obviously I don't have 1st hand knowledge of any of this-my kid made the team-but I just really feel strongly about fairness. And if coaches are changing the scores of unaffiliated judges....well, that just seems wrong. The kid might not have a sparkly personality bc her parents are getting a divorce or she is struggling with depression or something and cheer might just be the thing that helps her. If a coach just doesn't like her, she'll never get that chance no matter how talented she is.

Sorry, I'm rambling, :) I also wonder why school cheer requires a teacher rec but other sports don't? My older son has played several Varsity sports & teacher recs weren't part of the tryout. I find that annoying. They all should require them if it is important. And again, it wouldn't bother me at all if all sports tryouts were judged by outsiders, football included. Would never happen, but there is certainly drama in all sports tryouts and I think unaffiliated judges help with that.

I don't think anyone should change panel scores, but I think they should only be a PART of the total picture, and shouldn't be the be all and end all of who makes the team. I can't see a legit coach just cutting a kid because they "don't like them", but I can see cutting a kid you know to have poor work ethic, attendance, or attitude. Those things should play a part in the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a long time lurker, but I've decided to put my two cents in on this conversation. I've really struggled to build my program at the high school I coach. When I first came in, it was kind of joke: varsity was only doing preps and they were very poorly executed, girls would decided when to come to practice, and when they would come, there were often excuses as to why they couldn't do what I was asking. The school didn't take us seriously and the girls were often "booed" at performances. I decided to make the the tryout process more put together and more organized so that it might be taken more seriously by the students trying out. I actually made all tryout clinic days mandatory, I made requirements to be on Varsity, and I put in a grade requirement. We've always focused on learning a cheer, a dance, and jumps for tryouts. But after two years of having this tryout process, it has not gone over well at all. We have gone way down in the number of people trying out and we tend to lose quite a bit over the course of the tryout process. So this year I'm changing it up a bit. We will only be learning a dance and the rest of the time will be focused on stunting. We are also doing a no cut tryout in terms of score. If they have an awful attitude and no work ethic, we will definitely not be taking them. My hope is that we will keep the interest of students longer, so that they actually make it to the tryout. We also wanted to bulk up our program, so that if we do have people quit or have to remove people we still have a team (this year our jv went from 15 to 7 because we had to remove so many). This is a short term goal, meaning I'm hoping we can go back to our normal tryout process in a year or so... once we are able to build our team the way we want and need. I'm just hoping I can find something that works for this school!

I am in a very similar situation! Trying to build the program where I coach and I am having some of the same issues. Have you gotten any good advice?

I'm a long time lurker, but I've decided to put my two cents in on this conversation. I've really struggled to build my program at the high school I coach. When I first came in, it was kind of joke: varsity was only doing preps and they were very poorly executed, girls would decided when to come to practice, and when they would come, there were often excuses as to why they couldn't do what I was asking. The school didn't take us seriously and the girls were often "booed" at performances. I decided to make the the tryout process more put together and more organized so that it might be taken more seriously by the students trying out. I actually made all tryout clinic days mandatory, I made requirements to be on Varsity, and I put in a grade requirement. We've always focused on learning a cheer, a dance, and jumps for tryouts. But after two years of having this tryout process, it has not gone over well at all. We have gone way down in the number of people trying out and we tend to lose quite a bit over the course of the tryout process. So this year I'm changing it up a bit. We will only be learning a dance and the rest of the time will be focused on stunting. We are also doing a no cut tryout in terms of score. If they have an awful attitude and no work ethic, we will definitely not be taking them. My hope is that we will keep the interest of students longer, so that they actually make it to the tryout. We also wanted to bulk up our program, so that if we do have people quit or have to remove people we still have a team (this year our jv went from 15 to 7 because we had to remove so many). This is a short term goal, meaning I'm hoping we can go back to our normal tryout process in a year or so... once we are able to build our team the way we want and need. I'm just hoping I can find something that works for this school!

We did this at my school when we had a regime change.

The thing with those type of programs is that you have slowly build them up. My coach took the previous team and basically put her rules into place--practice earlier in the evening, practice before football games, and she invested in the team. We got a choreographer and we got the resources we needed to be a top team that the other schools already had. We wanted to go to practice when we knew it was going to productive and FUN. A lot of the coaches on this board are very strict but there's a way to have fun and be assertive. We had rules but our coaching staff really got to know us. Investing is not always financial or cheer based, especially in HS when you can really cultivate and help kids grow.

Attitudes varied but overtime but there was a desire to win. Getting 4th instead of last was HUGE for my team. The girls I coach now were not going to be satisfied with anything other than top 4 and were elated with 2nd. Once tumbling and stunting became an expectation, JV girls who were serious kicked it in gear and worked to get on Varsity. Those who didn't quit on their own.

It took five years but now middle school girls know that they won't make Varsity without a back handspring ---at least, and that they better come hungry if they want to compete. We still don't cut because we do need to retain some of the diamonds in the rough since we don't get about 30 girls who are capable of cheering every season, and half of that will be varsity. The other half will be jv with a few dropping off because they realize HS cheer is more intense than MS cheer.

Last edited:
I totally agree with all of you in the examples shown above, and obviously I don't have 1st hand knowledge of any of this-my kid made the team-but I just really feel strongly about fairness. And if coaches are changing the scores of unaffiliated judges....well, that just seems wrong. The kid might not have a sparkly personality bc her parents are getting a divorce or she is struggling with depression or something and cheer might just be the thing that helps her. If a coach just doesn't like her, she'll never get that chance no matter how talented she is.

Sorry, I'm rambling, :) I also wonder why school cheer requires a teacher rec but other sports don't? My older son has played several Varsity sports & teacher recs weren't part of the tryout. I find that annoying. They all should require them if it is important. And again, it wouldn't bother me at all if all sports tryouts were judged by outsiders, football included. Would never happen, but there is certainly drama in all sports tryouts and I think unaffiliated judges help with that.

I am gonna be honest... as a high school coach, the "I don't like you so you won't make the team" is a pile of CRAP. This is an opinion that people put in their heads b/c they aren't ready for a position, or don't have the skills, or only have selective work ethic. Yes parents out there, Suzie will tell you that coach hates her and you believe your Suzie is the hardest worker on the team, and while Suzie is a hard worker, she is only a hard worker when you have to get on her 100 times. I didn't pull Suzie from basing the middle of the pyramid b/c I don't like her, I pulled her b/c someone else was able to pick up on it faster with better technique and instead of watching the team be completely frustrated, now the skill is hitting.

My "not liking" a kid is the same as the football coach doesn't like me.

Another type of Suzie coaches don't like are ones that are talented but "Know it All". Just bc this Suize has been cheering for 8 years and was the best tumbler on her All-Star team, but Suzie always telling people what to do, and Suzie always questioning the coaches.. well, it is tough b/c this Suzie is talented and this Suzie is a strong cheerleader, and probably a pretty good kid, but you can't get through a practice b/c she is always trying to be the coach, not be coached.

Teacher recs are also stupid, but a cheerleader is more then a sport to a school many times and they want well rounded students and athletes.

(Just a warning......LONG Post! Sorry!)

We just finished our tryouts here and it was great! I have been with my program for 11 years and have gone through all the possibilities. Went from having an all outside judge panel, to two outside judges and 1 coach, to 1 outside judge and 2 coaches and finally this year only coaches were a part of the decision.

We did our tryouts different this year in the fact that they were 5 days of evaluation. We taught a cheer, dance and band dance. Us coaches evaluated those in groups of 5 and we watched them on multiples occasions. This was done in front of everyone each time. We also evaluated jumps, standing tumbling and running tumbling. Watched all of those one by one (they stood in their group of 5 but went 1 at a time) Again, this was in front of everyone. We also watched them perform all of this stuff multiple times in many different groups, by grade, by last names, by random groups....etc. We spent time on the last two days stunting, working on basics and pulling in some that proved readiness for more elite skills.

After this was all done, we looked at their grades and all our notes and scores and named our teams.

We have 10 varsity ambassadors- these are sideline only cheerleaders that will also work with the school, asb and sports to help plan events, lunch time activities and make sure all things are done and set up for games early. They will not compete and are only Juniors or Seniors- note these 10 all chose to do this (1 put this or comp, we selected her for this role because she does not meet the tumbling requirement for comp)

We have 20 varsity comp cheerleaders. These girls will do all varsity football games and about half the basketball and volleyball games. These will be the girls that we use to form our competitive team- 16 compete, 4 alternates. We really wanted the best girls with the BEST attitude and work ethic! I think we got just that!

We have 15 JV- Originally started with 16 but 1 quit after realizing she didn't make varsity and her friend did. These girls are all freshman or sophomores. This is the only place we had complaints from- 2 girls that felt they should have made varsity- 1 didn't mark varsity as something she wanted to do and even after talking with her didn't change it, so she wasn't considered. Explained this to parent and all is fine, parent very kind and supportive throughout the very quick email exchange. Other one just wanted to know why when she feels another girl is at same skill level. Explained that we felt she best fit on JV and some things she could improve on, parent very kind and respectful and it was done!

All in all it was great. I think the best part was that the girls all saw everything and really knew where they stood during the process. Also, gave them multiple opportunities and not just 1 shot where your nervous in front of a panel. We told them we wanted to see effort and improvement and good attitude, and we saw that! It was awesome! Very fortunate to have an AD and admin that support me and backed this process 100%

We just finished our tryouts here and it was great! I have been with my program for 11 years and have gone through all the possibilities. Went from having an all outside judge panel, to two outside judges and 1 coach, to 1 outside judge and 2 coaches and finally this year only coaches were a part of the decision.

We did our tryouts different this year in the fact that they were 5 days of evaluation. We taught a cheer, dance and band dance. Us coaches evaluated those in groups of 5 and we watched them on multiples occasions. This was done in front of everyone each time. We also evaluated jumps, standing tumbling and running tumbling. Watched all of those one by one (they stood in their group of 5 but went 1 at a time) Again, this was in front of everyone. We also watched them perform all of this stuff multiple times in many different groups, by grade, by last names, by random groups....etc. We spent time on the last two days stunting, working on basics and pulling in some that proved readiness for more elite skills.

After this was all done, we looked at their grades and all our notes and scores and named our teams.

We have 10 varsity ambassadors- these are sideline only cheerleaders that will also work with the school, asb and sports to help plan events, lunch time activities and make sure all things are done and set up for games early. They will not compete and are only Juniors or Seniors- note these 10 all chose to do this (1 put this or comp, we selected her for this role because she does not meet the tumbling requirement for comp)

I really like this! It gives those not competing something of value! I was the liaison to school officials/SGA on our team back in my day since our coach is not a teacher or staff member. I think the connection with the student body helped with bringing out a crowd to an otherwise boring FB game. Was great for exposure.

We are trying to get the spirit back into the school. Any tips that I can pass along?

I don't think anyone should change panel scores, but I think they should only be a PART of the total picture, and shouldn't be the be all and end all of who makes the team. I can't see a legit coach just cutting a kid because they "don't like them", but I can see cutting a kid you know to have poor work ethic, attendance, or attitude. Those things should play a part in the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As someone who selects her team with her other coaches, just know that I have put plenty of kids on my team who do not like me personally.

Because it really doesn't matter if you like me or not, as long as you respect me enough to follow team policy and you have the skills.

I can name off at least 4 of my Varsity kids who would love to see me get hit by a bus a la Mean Girls.

But:

1. They have skills.
2. They are hard workers.
3. They respect me enough to be respectful at practice.

We have 20 varsity comp cheerleaders. These girls will do all varsity football games and about half the basketball and volleyball games. These will be the girls that we use to form our competitive team- 16 compete, 4 alternates. We really wanted the best girls with the BEST attitude and work ethic! I think we got just that!

We have 15 JV- Originally started with 16 but 1 quit after realizing she didn't make varsity and her friend did. These girls are all freshman or sophomores. This is the only place we had complaints from- 2 girls that felt they should have made varsity- 1 didn't mark varsity as something she wanted to do and even after talking with her didn't change it, so she wasn't considered. Explained this to parent and all is fine, parent very kind and supportive throughout the very quick email exchange. Other one just wanted to know why when she feels another girl is at same skill level. Explained that we felt she best fit on JV and some things she could improve on, parent very kind and respectful and it was done!

All in all it was great. I think the best part was that the girls all saw everything and really knew where they stood during the process. Also, gave them multiple opportunities and not just 1 shot where your nervous in front of a panel. We told them we wanted to see effort and improvement and good attitude, and we saw that! It was awesome! Very fortunate to have an AD and admin that support me and backed this process 100%

Your tryout process and results with parents sounds very similar to what we do and have experienced in the last three years.

Coaches: how many of you have specific requirements, like you must have a ROBHS to make the team? Has it always been that way at your school? If the requirement was implemented after you got there did it change things?

Coaches: how many of you have specific requirements, like you must have a ROBHS to make the team? Has it always been that way at your school? If the requirement was implemented after you got there did it change things?

This was the first year I made a requirement for our varsity competition team. They must have a standing bhs and either connect a jump or roundoff to bhs. I never made it a requirement until now, but it was always strongly encouraged. Last year our entire varsity competitive team had these skills, so I figured that is now the minimum standard. It was fine and all understood that requirement.

Tumbling was optional when I first got here. I had 5 tumblers with BHS.

I kept it that way in my first season but added a tumbling coach and designated a day of practice as tumbling days.

The next year, I required tumbling, but no specific skills. Could be anything from a cartwheel to a round off to a tuck. I got 10 of 15 with BHS. Awesome.

I kept it that way for a season. My girls kept pushing to be better.

I currently require a standing tuck and running 3 BHS tuck as a minimum.

I have girls who have that and layouts.

Back