High School Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's not so much our principal and AD as much as the county board. 1. Basically if you're not a teacher then it's very hard to get in as a coach. They've actually fired a coach from another sport mid season simply because they hired a teacher who had been a previous coach in that sport. 2. Again, parents pretty much run the administration. If the parents don't like it then the parents win. Even if that means complaining about a coach so much to get them fired though that coach was way more qualified then the next person they hire.

Someone needs to change the way they hire coaches. Just because they're not a teacher doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't make a good coach.

I think there are more non-teacher cheer coaches than teacher cheer coaches on this site. I know that's the vibe I've gotten from most of the posts I've seen anyway.

I for one have never been a teacher, and I'm thankful that neither the KHSAA nor my school dristrict really care as long as I'm doing my job well.

We have other sports with non-teacher coaches, but they have said that they will not allow it for cheer. The last non-teacher cheer coach worked at the school, but wasn't a teacher. It didn't work out terribly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In NYS I don't think non-teachers are allowed any longer since they made it a sport. At least not in our section.

So no sport has non-teacher coaches? I know that at least one of our basketball coaches is a lawyer.

Personally, I'm an engineer.
Just did some research because I did not know the answer. In our school district all coaches are NYS certified teachers but not necessarily teachers in the school they coach or even the district itself - but this is up to each district to decide. You can however coach if you are not a certified teacher however you need to complete three state-mandated coaching courses - Techniques of Coaching (30 hours); Philosophy, Principles and Organization of Coaching (45 hours); and Health Science as it Relates to Coaching (45 hours) - within 3 years of being hired, with no extensions granted.

It seems in my school district, coaching jobs are only posted in-house and again, it appears that there is an hierarchy to how coaching jobs are dished... I think, most of the coaching jobs go to phys. ed teachers, 1st and tenure teachers, second... Often, most teachers are offered coaching positions as Asst. Coaches, working beside the phys. ed. teachers... But I must admit, I was offered a cheerleading coach position because I wore a NCA jacket to work and my principal thought I was a cheer coach, which I happily and immediately declined and explained I was just a fan, not an expert

I am not a teacher, nor do I work at the school. This is my third season and I am employed by the school district specifically for coaching.
It definitely depends on the state and the district rules. One district near us used the change from a club to a sport to clean house of their non-teacher, non-certified to coach coaches.

I am not a teacher, nor do I work at the school. This is my third season and I am employed by the school district specifically for coaching.
Same here...going into my 4th season - all my new coaching staff (which the district just gave me the green light on finally hiring a full blown staff... all are outside coaches, 1 is a special education aide at the school)

So how have everyones tryouts/ early practices resulted in so far?

We were lucky to have a pretty good selection for Varsity athletes with 12 girls and only 3 who have not been on Varsity before. They're stunting is ridiculous so far and although the tumbling of a few athletes is lacking a little, we are super pumped with the amazing talent and work we've seen so far.

Our JV had 12 girls and 4 alternates. Sadly three strong returning girls quit right away so our team is mostly made up of Middle School alumni. While JV is strong at tumbling stunting lacks slightly.

Overall this year is to be exciting and hopefully will continue going up from here!

Same here...going into my 4th season - all my new coaching staff (which the district just gave me the green light on finally hiring a full blown staff... all are outside coaches, 1 is a special education aide at the school)

That's awesome! Is your staff employed by the district as assistants?

Back