High School Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think this is a REALLY good question to ask. Some coaches have the whole 'JV is just a holding tank but Varsity is the real team' mentality and it shows in their treatment of the teams.

Exactly! My assistant coach and I work so hard to create equality and unity within both teams because we want the girls to feel proud of the program regardless of what team they are on. We want our JV to act as a feeder to our Varsity - to keep the girls in our program and allow them to keep working and improving (in the past w/o a JV the girls we would turn away would never come back to tryout again the next year).

Each team orders the same apparel; they both get new out of house choreography & music every season & this year they will all have the same uniform. They fundraiser together, team bonding together, pasta parties together and ride bus to competitions together.

Our JV team has been incredibly successful too the past two years - it's not like they're just floating around.

The only difference is the games they cheer at, and Varsity is eligible for regionals & states while JV is not (MA does not recognize JV for these competitions).

I understand how it can be if you had your heart set on Varsity, but I wish the title of a team wouldn't be such an issue with some girls... and I wish some girls would be more realistic. If you've been on JV for two years now and still only have a cartwheel, same jumps & motions ... you're not going to be eligible for Varsity . Also wish they'd realize grade does not equal team level...

We have our megaphones and were planning on painting them. I liked the half red/half grey idea.

The girls have been trying to talk their coach into new poms. They currently have metallic red and silver mixed and are on the third or fourth year of use.
I'd go for vinyl, or metallic red and gray vinyl.

Exactly! My assistant coach and I work so hard to create equality and unity within both teams because we want the girls to feel proud of the program regardless of what team they are on. We want our JV to act as a feeder to our Varsity - to keep the girls in our program and allow them to keep working and improving (in the past w/o a JV the girls we would turn away would never come back to tryout again the next year).

Each team orders the same apparel; they both get new out of house choreography & music every season & this year they will all have the same uniform. They fundraiser together, team bonding together, pasta parties together and ride bus to competitions together.

Our JV team has been incredibly successful too the past two years - it's not like they're just floating around.

The only difference is the games they cheer at, and Varsity is eligible for regionals & states while JV is not (MA does not recognize JV for these competitions).

I understand how it can be if you had your heart set on Varsity, but I wish the title of a team wouldn't be such an issue with some girls... and I wish some girls would be more realistic. If you've been on JV for two years now and still only have a cartwheel, same jumps & motions ... you're not going to be eligible for Varsity . Also wish they'd realize grade does not equal team level...
Totally agree w/ grade not equaling team level. I don't get the programs that run like that.

Plus, "I know your heart was set on Varsity" totally applies to coaches. Ever seen a JV coach whom you could tell was just biding their time until the could become the Varsity coach? Frustrating.

Totally agree w/ grade not equaling team level. I don't get the programs that run like that.

Plus, "I know your heart was set on Varsity" totally applies to coaches. Ever seen a JV coach whom you could tell was just biding their time until the could become the Varsity coach? Frustrating.

We put a ton of focus on our JV and treat both teams as equal. We coach both teams which helps. We keep our Jv in mind with every decision that we make, this year we are struggling with varsity squad size and part of the struggle is making sure there are enough kids for a strong JV team. I know ultimately we need to give our varsity the best chance to do well, but we always try our best to do what's right for both squads!

Why don't you try something non-traditional?

Instead of labeling them as JV and Varsity, label them as the division in which they will compete. Put them on a rotation where they basically all cheer the same games (sports crowds don't give a poop who is cheering as long as someone is there), and remove the stigma (no matter how unintentional, it will always be there) of being "JV."

Latest posts

Back