High School Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Tis the season for:

Suzy: "I only want to fly this year so I'm not basing at my tryout."

Also Suzy: Has based since 5th grade rec. Regularly bases equivalent of Level 2 and 3 on JV. Also bases on her 4.2 team. Flew as a fill in twice on JV.

What. How.
Give them the taste, and they'll never want to go back. But seriously, I assume she won't make your team?

Tis the season for:

Suzy: "I only want to fly this year so I'm not basing at my tryout."

Also Suzy: Has based since 5th grade rec. Regularly bases equivalent of Level 2 and 3 on JV. Also bases on her 4.2 team. Flew as a fill in twice on JV.

What. How.

"Keep stretching and maybe you'll get to fly the group stunt in quantity while the other flyers are in two mans, but right now we need to work on groups that would be groups for elite stunts."

Thats my go to. Works like 60% of the time :D:D
Plus if they're really dedicated and do get flexible they're useful when comp season comes. If they don't stretch you have an excuse when that time comes "I told you you could fly quantity if you stretched, but you didn't get a heel stretch which is the quantity stunt so we'll have to use Suzy 2"

I'm in a season of transition as well, but I'm in a good place. The majority of my incoming freshies were part of a team that got 2nd place in gameday this season, so they're hungry for more. There are two more who are PHENOMENAL all star cheerleaders, one with no game experience, and one with game experience. Biggest problem is that so many of them are small. They've been basing 6th graders on their middle school team so they don't have a lot of flyer experience either.

I'm putting in minimum requirements for the first time in my coaching career. We are "grandfathering" established athletes, and only putting in the minimums for newbies and incoming freshies. Have to have at least a standing bhs or roundoff bhs to get in the door. We will select comp team later in the summer and have to have a minimum of standing tuck or roundoff tuck to get "on mat."

Some of you may remember my post about having starters and reserves for every game. I'm leaning heavily in that direction. We are doing a leadership course as part of our preseason program (call it character conditioning in addition to physical conditioning). We are adapting some ideas for teaching character through athletics. Would appreciate any character lessons/activities that you all have used in the past. I'm making up most of this on my own.
We have an FCA (fellowship of Christian athletes) team huddle every Monday during season. We alot the first 20 minutes of practice. I consider this time to be crucial in our success as a team. We are a public school, so while there are references to faith, it's primarily about character building. We go through everything; boy stuff, teenage girl stuff, drinking, partying, sex, home life, being better teammates and of course cheer related stuff. The girls love Mondays. It's a safe space and really bonds them together while learning and discussing what they're going through. I can't recommend something similar enough!!

We have an FCA (fellowship of Christian athletes) team huddle every Monday during season. We alot the first 20 minutes of practice. I consider this time to be crucial in our success as a team. We are a public school, so while there are references to faith, it's primarily about character building. We go through everything; boy stuff, teenage girl stuff, drinking, partying, sex, home life, being better teammates and of course cheer related stuff. The girls love Mondays. It's a safe space and really bonds them together while learning and discussing what they're going through. I can't recommend something similar enough!!

Do you use FCA's Victory 365 book?

It's sort of a daily devotional for athletes type thing. I just purchased it on iBooks and there are some things in it I will use, and there are others that are a little too biblical for my comfort level in a public school.

Since it was never defined before, many schools just had it fall under athletics. The CIF has clearly said sideline is NOT a sport, causing many districts to drop it since then they can save the money they used to pay a coach.

Ah! Thank you. But if a school had it's own booster club to pay the sideline coach themselves, is there anything to stop a sideline cheer team from carrying on as usual with spring tryouts and camp?

Ah! Thank you. But if a school had it's own booster club to pay the sideline coach themselves, is there anything to stop a sideline cheer team from carrying on as usual with spring tryouts and camp?

Our school has individual sport booster clubs: football, basketball, baseball, softball, even band. I'm not sure about soccer

Cheer can not have a booster because they are not a sport. Our band is highly competitive and band counts as a physical education credit.

We are on our own for fundraising

"Keep stretching and maybe you'll get to fly the group stunt in quantity while the other flyers are in two mans, but right now we need to work on groups that would be groups for elite stunts."

Thats my go to. Works like 60% of the time :D:D
Plus if they're really dedicated and do get flexible they're useful when comp season comes. If they don't stretch you have an excuse when that time comes "I told you you could fly quantity if you stretched, but you didn't get a heel stretch which is the quantity stunt so we'll have to use Suzy 2"

This evening's newest issue:

Girl: "I hurt my back basing at all stars and my mom and doctor said I can't base anymore. I have to try out as a flyer."

Me: "Oh ok. Hey well if your back hurts, you probably should be sitting out this open gym."

*directs her to the seating area off to the side."

Girl: "Well, it just hurts a little."

Spoiler alert: If you "really hurt your back and it hurts really bad" you shouldn't be flying!

This evening's newest issue:

Girl: "I hurt my back basing at all stars and my mom and doctor said I can't base anymore. I have to try out as a flyer."

Me: "Oh ok. Hey well if your back hurts, you probably should be sitting out this open gym."

*directs her to the seating area off to the side."

Girl: "Well, it just hurts a little."

Spoiler alert: If you "really hurt your back and it hurts really bad" you shouldn't be flying!
I honestly got dejavu by reading that. Have you or someone else posted that before? :confused:

Do you use FCA's Victory 365 book?

It's sort of a daily devotional for athletes type thing. I just purchased it on iBooks and there are some things in it I will use, and there are others that are a little too biblical for my comfort level in a public school.
Should have clarified better... we have an FCA rep that comes in and does this. I don't personally lead them. I probably could, but it's not my strength and the woman that does it is phenomenal at it! I've not heard of that book, but its something to check out for sure.

We live in the bible belt. Even though its a public school, most of the kids are religious or have a religious background. It's still a fine line of what to say vs. what not to say. We make sure we aren't "preaching" during these times. The focus stays more towards character building.

Should have clarified better... we have an FCA rep that comes in and does this. I don't personally lead them. I probably could, but it's not my strength and the woman that does it is phenomenal at it! I've not heard of that book, but its something to check out for sure.

We live in the bible belt. Even though its a public school, most of the kids are religious or have a religious background. It's still a fine line of what to say vs. what not to say. We make sure we aren't "preaching" during these times. The focus stays more towards character building.
What would you do if an athlete of a different faith told you they felt uncomfortable with that?

What would you do if an athlete of a different faith told you they felt uncomfortable with that?
No one would be required to participate if they were uncomfortable. What that means specifically would depend on the athlete. We had an athlete once whose parent voiced her concern about having FCA at cheer. They weren't religious and she didn't want us influencing her daughter one way or the other. I met with her and she requested to come sit in on one, to which I agreed. Afterwards she decided that she didn't have a problem with it and actually liked it. I know it's FCA, and there is an occasional reference to faith, but we really don't focus on the faith part of it. The goal is to help raise the kids to be well rounded, young women with a good moral character. Occasionally we're the only source for some of these kids when it comes to girl problems, teenage pressures, etc. Many of them have wonderful families and parents that actually parent. Some of them are basically raising themselves. We try to invest in them in more ways than just cheer.

No one would be required to participate if they were uncomfortable. What that means specifically would depend on the athlete. We had an athlete once whose parent voiced her concern about having FCA at cheer. They weren't religious and she didn't want us influencing her daughter one way or the other. I met with her and she requested to come sit in on one, to which I agreed. Afterwards she decided that she didn't have a problem with it and actually liked it. I know it's FCA, and there is an occasional reference to faith, but we really don't focus on the faith part of it. The goal is to help raise the kids to be well rounded, young women with a good moral character. Occasionally we're the only source for some of these kids when it comes to girl problems, teenage pressures, etc. Many of them have wonderful families and parents that actually parent. Some of them are basically raising themselves. We try to invest in them in more ways than just cheer.

AB-SO-FREAKIN-LUTELY.

Of course you and I have discussed enough that you know I'm in the buckle of the Bible Belt. We try to do the same things.

AB-SO-FREAKIN-LUTELY.

Of course you and I have discussed enough that you know I'm in the buckle of the Bible Belt. We try to do the same things.
I guess living in the Northeast causes me to question this further. Telling a student they are free not to participate if it makes them feel uncomfortable when it involves religion and faith in a public school setting in an activity that has nothing to do with religion would not sit well with me as a parent. In a private setting I'd have no issue with it. But not in sports in a public school.

I guess living in the Northeast causes me to question this further. Telling a student they are free not to participate if it makes them feel uncomfortable when it involves religion and faith in a public school setting in an activity that has nothing to do with religion would not sit well with me as a parent. In a private setting I'd have no issue with it. But not in sports in a public school.

Religion and character are not synonymous.

There are a variety of ways to teach character without making an attempt to indoctrinate an athlete or teach theology.

@AScheer can feel free to correct me if I'm putting words in her mouth, but what I get out of what she's saying is that the FCA lessons that are being taught are not heavily theological (ie. teaching religion), but rather speaking more about character.

Virtually every school, public or private, in our area has an FCA chapter. If they had a set of resources I could use with activities designed to teach character. I would jump all over it, Biblical references or not. Whether you see the Bible as the infallible "Word of God," or just a collection of fiction written by a bunch of quacks 2000 years ago, there are words of wisdom to be found within it on a variety of topics: teamwork, personal finance, work ethic, sacrifice, etc. Using quotes from it to reinforce character lessons is really not that different from using quotes from Vince Lombardi or reading "The Little Engine that Could."

Back