High School Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I guess living in the Northeast causes me to question this further. Telling a student they are free not to participate if it makes them feel uncomfortable when it involves religion and faith in a public school setting in an activity that has nothing to do with religion would not sit well with me as a parent. In a private setting I'd have no issue with it. But not in sports in a public school.
I think geography probably plays a part. The culture in this area is probably very different to the culture in your area. That's not to say that everyone here believes the same.

Almost every sport in the public schools around here have an FCA character coach visit them. Some weekly, some just occasionally. Every football team has a rep come on gameday and it is much more faith based than anything we do. Not saying this to justify what we do, just to provide info into what the culture is around our area. What works for us, doesn't translate everywhere.

I'm trying to imagine the level of backlash I would get if I invited an FCA leader into my practices once a week. He/she might never crack a Bible but the fact that the C in FCA stands for Christian would likely be enough to approach DEFCOM 5 levels.

The differences in different parts of the country...

Having said that, if I could figure out a way to do this in my practice without daring to relate it to a specific faith at all, I'm all over this. If anyone has some materials I could look at or point me to a source, I'd be appreciative.
I'll reach out to our rep and see if she has any suggestions. She is a former coach, and an avid reader. I'm sure she has materials that aren't faith based!

I think geography probably plays a part. The culture in this area is probably very different to the culture in your area. That's not to say that everyone here believes the same.

Almost every sport in the public schools around here have an FCA character coach visit them. Some weekly, some just occasionally. Every football team has a rep come on gameday and it is much more faith based than anything we do. Not saying this to justify what we do, just to provide info into what the culture is around our area. What works for us, doesn't translate everywhere.

I'll reach out to our rep and see if she has any suggestions. She is a former coach, and an avid reader. I'm sure she has materials that aren't faith based!

And, some schools will have a prayer over the pregame announcements during which everyone is to bow their heads.

There are people who believe that all schools should do this. They don't take to kindly when you ask if a rabbi or an imam should lead the prayer. I doubt a Catholic priest would be acceptable either.

I forgot to update. Rumors still swirling that we are getting a new coach, but the current one is not addressing rumors nor is she giving any indication that she will not be the coach

We didn't have tryouts. There were the same number of girls as we are "allowed " to have came to the mandatory meeting.

Only one cheerleader is eligible for captain. A four-year member of the team and a two-time UCA All-American ( both years she was allowed to try out). The other girls seemed to acknowledge she was captain when we walked into the meeting. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to update. Rumors still swirling that we are getting a new coach, but the current one is not addressing rumors nor is she giving any indication that she will not be the coach

We didn't have tryouts. There were the same number of girls as we are "allowed " to have came to the mandatory meeting.

Only one cheerleader is eligible for captain. A four-year member of the team and a two-time UCA All-American ( both years she was allowed to try out). The other girls seemed to acknowledge she was captain when we walked into the meeting. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's about the worst way to choose a captain that I can think of

That's about the worst way to choose a captain that I can think of

They will have a vote before school gets out, but it will mainly be for co-captain. Around here, it is usually only the seniors eligible for captain.

Same thing happened at a school nearby. One senior who had cheered four years. The juniors who were on their third year were co-captains.

There were five seniors a few years back. The girls voted. The coach picked against who the team voted as captain and co-captain. The coach had promised two seniors captain positions and didn't give either one a spot.

Our program is a mess.

Well, that is awful!

It could be worse. A friend of mine coaches at a MS in Texas in which the cheerleaders are still selected by student body vote.

I am changing almost everything about my tryout process this year, it's crazy! We aren't even choosing captains until after camp... so this should be interesting!

Well, that is awful!

It could be worse. A friend of mine coaches at a MS in Texas in which the cheerleaders are still selected by student body vote.
Who on earth thinks this is a good idea? I thought 10 differnt ways this could go horrifically working in 5 minutes. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they don't compete and may not be the most impressive on the sideline?

They do not compete but they are pretty solid sideline-wise.

Cheer is very much a "popular pretty girl" activity there and honestly the parents and kids resist changing the tryout structure for that reason (per my friend.) They like being voted on and campaigning.

Also I think there is a tryout component but the student body vote trumps it? I'll have to ask her.

Cheer is very much a "popular pretty girl" activity there and honestly the parents and kids resist changing the tryout structure for that reason (per my friend.) They like being voted on and campaigning.

Also I think there is a tryout component but the student body vote trumps it? I'll have to ask her.
Honestly the whole concept makes me want to puke. How is the school okay with this?

This is horrible. That's all I can say.

Get details...I may go back to this if next season self-destructs for me.

Does anyone just do evaluations? By this I mean, you watch the girls tumble, jumps, learn a cheer and dance, stunt and condition for a week or two and then just name the team? Similar to volleyball or basketball. Not bring in outside people to pick your team. I just hate that cheerleading follows different standards. My athletic director has given me full permission to run clinics and evaluate and then name my own team. He agrees that it is ridiculous that others have any influence over the team decision. If you have done it this way or continue to, what tips do you have? Thank you!

Back