College Tryout Tips

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thanks. I don't actually coach college (I have done school coaching and all stars - taking a break to focus on my family) but a good deal of my friends do, and I've done privates for kids looking to cheer in college, so I'm just sharing what I've seen!

^^^^As far as format, ask someone who has made the team to see theirs. That way you know if they want dance first, running tumbling, etc

Other thread inspired me:

WATCH your social media accounts.

Image matters. Especially with high-profile cheer programs or even those cheer programs that are not super high profile in themselves but are associated with high-profile D1A sports teams.

You never want to be that girl in cheer interviews when the coach whips out a compromising photo of you flashing someone and doing keg stands on your birthday (that she just happened to find on Instagram.)

(Yes, they check! You will represent their programs and no one wants to be represented at appearances by a HOT MESS.)

Another really important thing.

It seems like a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised.

Be punctual.

Everything you do during clinics and tryouts reflects on you.

It reflects poorly on any athlete when they walk into a pre-tryout meeting, clinic, etc. even five minutes late.

Your school cheer/all star coach may not have cared about 5 minutes.

But there are plenty of coaches who when given a choice between 2 athletes will pass on the one who was 5-1o minutes late every day.

If anything, be early.

Also, the excuses that may fly in school cheer or your gym don't really matter. College coaches generally won't accept "omg, the line was really long at the SBux drive-through." No one cares.

You'll be fine! You have your new fierceboard friend who's trying out too :) if you start freaking out now you'll be having a breakdown in 8 days ;)
Sooo true. I'm not worried about the tryout much except for tumbling why does it have to be so difficult :( but I just gotta go in there and do my best

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

^^^^When kids freak out about tumbling and tryouts, I always tell them that your tryout is in ___ days. You're not going to magically whip double in _ days. You know it. I know it. There is nothing else you can do except throw the tumbling you DO have the best you can!

Good luck to you and please report back if you can!

Another really important thing.

It seems like a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised.

Be punctual.

Everything you do during clinics and tryouts reflects on you.
It reflects poorly on any athlete when they walk into a pre-tryout meeting, clinic, etc. even five minutes late.

Your school cheer/all star coach may not have cared about 5 minutes.

But there are plenty of coaches who when given a choice between 2 athletes will pass on the one who was 5-1o minutes late every day.

If anything, be early.

Also, the excuses that may fly in school cheer or your gym don't really matter. College coaches generally won't accept "omg, the line was really long at the SBux drive-through." No one cares.

Yes! I only remember this one girl from tryouts last week because she walked in late. No idea how her skills were, I didn't bother to watch her since she showed up may 7-10 minutes late so I kind of just assumed she wasn't as serious about being there. Now I know that there could have been bad traffic or accidents or whatever so I probably shouldn't have cast her off for being late, but I think that it makes you look like you don't really care when you show up that late.

^^^I'll be upfront about it. My immediate first thought in a coaching/judging situation when I see a kid come in late is "She doesn't respect my time and is not serious about this."

You may have just hit really bad traffic. You may have been 20 minutes late getting Starbucks and really not care that much about cheer. I don't know. But I'll tell you that perception is EVERYTHING.

Your lateness may cause coaches and judges to PERCEIVE that you don't care even if you do.

Since having a game day appearance is important, why do some tryouts have girls come in like Halloween costumes?

^^^I'll be upfront about it. My immediate first thought in a coaching/judging situation when I see a kid come in late is "She doesn't respect my time and is not serious about this."

You may have just hit really bad traffic. You may have been 20 minutes late getting Starbucks and really not care that much about cheer. I don't know. But I'll tell you that perception is EVERYTHING.

Your lateness may cause coaches and judges to PERCEIVE that you don't care even if you do.
If something is important to you you'll add in enough time to more than cover for traffic, accidents, nuclear war etc

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back