Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

They threw her out of the gym. Really???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes And since this I've been very disgusted and have considered switching programs but I'm afraid to make the leap .. I've invested 2 seasons here and my daughter has learned so much tumbling she is 6 in tumble 3

Hi Everyone ,

So I was hoping to get some opinions . My daughter is going to be 7 , she started all star cheer 2 seasons ago she competed her first season on a tiny team and her second season on a mini 1 team . She has been a flyer both seasons , she is at the max on all her tumble 2 skills and has been for half of her first season and all of this season she is currently learning level 3 tumbling skills and has a rotuck and hand tuck working on punch fronts .. she is currently going to level 2 tryouts and has all the tumble however I am being told she doesn't know how to stunt level 2 , our gym does not offer stunt classes so how would she ever learn to stunt level 2 without being placed on a level 2 team , I have also paid for 2 privates a week for the last 2 years ? Is it fair for my daughter to be held on a level 1 team because she can't stunt level 2 Bc she was never taught ?
While I understand your frustration, and think it is within your rights to look for a gym that has an opening that is appropriate for your child...( and that doesn't throw kids out of the gym). I think you need to keep in mind that a team's composition will largely depend on what other kids can do also. It is entirely possible that there were too many flyers, and that your daughter just didn't make the cut based on the comparison. Or showed signs of being scared, or not quite ready to fly at a higher level. If she is small, and they can't use her as anything but a flyer, then they have to choose who is best for that team. It is difficult, because you're right that she can't learn higher level flying without trying it... but it kind of sounds like she didn't show signs of being ready to try. A good coach can see potential though, so maybe having her somewhere she is more comfortable might be beneficial. Or maybe you could arrange for her to be an alternate?

While I understand your frustration, and think it is within your rights to look for a gym that has an opening that is appropriate for your child...( and that doesn't throw kids out of the gym). I think you need to keep in mind that a team's composition will largely depend on what other kids can do also. It is entirely possible that there were too many flyers, and that your daughter just didn't make the cut based on the comparison. Or showed signs of being scared, or not quite ready to fly at a higher level. If she is small, and they can't use her as anything but a flyer, then they have to choose who is best for that team. It is difficult, because you're right that she can't learn higher level flying without trying it... but it kind of sounds like she didn't show signs of being ready to try. A good coach can see potential though, so maybe having her somewhere she is more comfortable might be beneficial. Or maybe you could arrange for her to be an alternate?
We just decided to do our youth school team and prep team this year . I feel she will get on the higher level prep team where she can learn more then hopefully be ready the following season if she decides to go back to full year . My issue was mainly with the picking and choosing that goes on .

We just decided to do our youth school team and prep team this year . I feel she will get on the higher level prep team where she can learn more then hopefully be ready the following season if she decides to go back to full year . My issue was mainly with the picking and choosing that goes on .
That sounds like a decent plan :)

I am still not getting what you mean by picking and choosing? Do you mean choosing who gets to fly, gets last pass ect, and you feel they are playing favorites and not choosing by ability, or they are being selective about who the rules about things like attendance apply to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am still not getting what you mean by picking and choosing? Do you mean choosing who gets to fly, gets last pass ect, and you feel they are playing favorites and not choosing by ability, or they are being selective about who the rules about things like attendance apply to?

They aren't choosing by ability is what I mean ! They have kids that are having blocks for over a year now on the level 2 roster , yet kids who are maxed on level 2 not on it ! That to me is picking and choosing

They aren't choosing by ability is what I mean ! They have kids that are having blocks for over a year now on the level 2 roster , yet kids who are maxed on level 2 not on it ! That to me is picking and choosing

Have you talked to anyone about WHY those decisions were made? There may be more going on than you are aware of.

For example: Our gym has kids with tumbling blocks who are being used above their current tumbling level because their stunt skill is needed, and kids who "have" all their level 3 skills on level 2 because they only have them if they are given all the time in the world, they cannot throw them under pressure. Initially a lot if those parents were upset about placements. Many of them got it once they sat down with the director and it was explained.

Have you talked to anyone about WHY those decisions were made? There may be more going on than you are aware of.

For example: Our gym has kids with tumbling blocks who are being used above their current tumbling level because their stunt skill is needed, and kids who "have" all their level 3 skills on level 2 because they only have them if they are given all the time in the world, they cannot throw them under pressure. Initially a lot if those parents were upset about placements. Many of them got it once they sat down with the director and it was explained.

No I haven't asked , but st this point it's null and void since we aren't doing full year

No I haven't asked , but st this point it's null and void since we aren't doing full year

If you are staying at the same gym, what's to say they won't do the same thing with prep teams? I would want to understand what was going on if I perceived that they were playing favorites and not acting in the best interest of the team.

I still want to know about the school team for seven year olds. Who do they cheer for? Is it split by grades? How do they do it?

May the cheer gods bless the teacher who decided to take that on ;)

I still want to know about the school team for seven year olds. Who do they cheer for? Is it split by grades? How do they do it?

Maybe it's more like a town team/youth league?

We did CYO cheer starting in 2nd grade, so 7 and8 year olds. Parent volunteer coaches. I coached CPs team in 3rd grade. Never again.

We did CYO cheer starting in 2nd grade, so 7 and8 year olds. Parent volunteer coaches. I coached CPs team in 3rd grade. Never again.
how common is CYO cheer? I know my archdiocease has cheer but I don't know any churches (except my church) who has a CYO cheer team(s)? I know CYO track/cross country in my area is HUGE though.

Just remember that our sport isn't just tumbling, athletes also have to be able to stunt. IF (big if) your athlete struggled all season in regards to stunting it isn't guaranteed that she will advance just because she has picked up some new tumbling skills.

If your kid struggles with L1 stunting, I already know she will most likely struggle stunting L2 even if she has never tried.

*after testing her out with various groups and bases

how common is CYO cheer? I know my archdiocease has cheer but I don't know any churches (except my church) who has a CYO cheer team(s)? I know CYO track/cross country in my area is HUGE though.

All the Catholic schools in our area participated. We had enough schools for league play in football, basketball, and volleyball.

Latest posts

Back