All-Star Tumbling At A Gym, On My Own Time, If That Makes Sense...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 17, 2015
Hello everyone, it's looking more and more likely that I'm soon going to start my professional career, and that I'll have to put any hope of coaching/ being on a cheer team on hold.

My question is:

I work on skills on my own and don't need an instructor, but I'd like to tumble more than once a week (all gyms I know have one open gym slot). How likely would it be that I could pay a certain amount per month to use the facilities at a cheer gym? No instruction, just tumbling. I still don't know where exactly I'm going, so I can't reach out to any one gym.

The thing is, every hour the gym is open without team practices, classes, or open gyms going on is money lost. So odds are, if the gym is open, there are other things going on, on the mat that you can't just tumble through. This is especially true at smaller gyms when there's barely one full floor to work with.

Someone else more knowledgable would have to comment on insurance stuff, but it could potentially be a liability to let you tumble without instructors or the proper supervision depending on their insurance policy.

Not saying it isn't possible, maybe you could tumble on a panel or two during privates... just that it's not a usual practice and may be met with some resistance.

My current gym and former gym allow athletes to come in and tumble whenever they want on their own. This is for people on teams though, not sure how that works for people who aren't on a team.

The thing is, every hour the gym is open without team practices, classes, or open gyms going on is money lost. So odds are, if the gym is open, there are other things going on, on the mat that you can't just tumble through. This is especially true at smaller gyms when there's barely one full floor to work with.

Someone else more knowledgable would have to comment on insurance stuff, but it could potentially be a liability to let you tumble without instructors or the proper supervision depending on their insurance policy.

Not saying it isn't possible, maybe you could tumble on a panel or two during privates... just that it's not a usual practice and may be met with some resistance.
Yeah, I know it's possible at the gym I spot tumbling/coach for, I was just thinking maybe we're a special case.

You may have issues with this due to insurance/liability issues and lack of space due to regular teams practicing. Gyms are not likely to open just for you as the cost of being open and having a coach on the premises (for liability issues) will be too much. I suggest looking into several gyms, to get you open gym times on different days, or look to your local gymnastic clubs, as they often run open gym times as well. Good luck

You may have issues with this due to insurance/liability issues and lack of space due to regular teams practicing. Gyms are not likely to open just for you as the cost of being open and having a coach on the premises (for liability issues) will be too much. I suggest looking into several gyms, to get you open gym times on different days, or look to your local gymnastic clubs, as they often run open gym times as well. Good luck
I was more trying to ask about during lessons. My gym allows those involved with the gym to tumble as long as it doesn't interfere and we only have 9 mats.

Due to insurance and legal liabilities my gym doesnt allow athletes on the floor to tumble/ stunt without a coach present.

Due to insurance and legal liabilities my gym doesnt allow athletes on the floor to tumble/ stunt without a coach present.
I think maybe people understand me. I'm not saying I want to be in the gym all by myself. I would like to tumble when the gym is open, but I don't need instruction. I have some level 5 skills and I'm working to make them better, but I don't need a private lesson to do it. I'd be ok with tumbling on a panel, but from a corner every once in a while would be nice. I was trying to see how open other gyms are to something like this.

I think maybe people understand me. I'm not saying I want to be in the gym all by myself. I would like to tumble when the gym is open, but I don't need instruction. I have some level 5 skills and I'm working to make them better, but I don't need a private lesson to do it. I'd be ok with tumbling on a panel, but from a corner every once in a while would be nice. I was trying to see how open other gyms are to something like this.
Do you have any friends who are coaches at other gyms? Perhaps they can ask around for you. Our old gym used to let aged out athletes come in and tumble during the summer and their breaks.

They either wouldn't let you because of liability issues or you have to sign a waiver saying the gym isn't responsible for your injuries.

Do you have any friends who are coaches at other gyms? Perhaps they can ask around for you. Our old gym used to let aged out athletes come in and tumble during the summer and their breaks.
Not many friends from other gyms unfortunately. I guess I'll have to wait to see where I'm moving to and take it from there. It sounds like at least some gyms are open to it.

Call around. Cp takes privates occasionally at a small gym around the corner from us and we pay a yearly $40 "gym fee" that basically covers her insurance. This gym would allow my daughter to come in and tumble any time she wanted and cp would help them move mats and wipe them down at the end of the night.

Not many friends from other gyms unfortunately. I guess I'll have to wait to see where I'm moving to and take it from there. It sounds like at least some gyms are open to it.
I am thinking that a parkour gym would be more open to your needs. But it doesn't hurt to call around. At worst , they all say no. Never know till you ask. Good luck.

Back