All-Star Tumbling & Other Progression..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

mommy2mygirls

Cheer Parent
Nov 3, 2010
Is it normal for a kid to go from being concerned/unsure about some tumbling & other skills for months and months (say 5-7 months!) to solidly getting say.... 6 -7 different skills solidly in a matter of a month and a half?

I don't want to get all Susies mom but I am honestly astounded @ CPs progression this summer and I guess a part of me is wondering how/why and wanting to keep feeding her whatever it is! lol While we love her new gym I know it can't be the whole reason or maybe even the main reason of why she is all of a sudden throwing every skill asked of her - so I am just wondering from all you smart coaches/parents/athletes/etc - if you have insight :)

"6 -7 different skills solidly in a matter of a month and a half"

wow....that's impressive. what are the skills?

took my cp about a year to learn and land her full consistently.....she is 11.

you have to figure that your cp has been doing drills for these skills for the past 5-7 months. Once a mental obstacle is overcome the body is already prepared to do the skills.
My daughter had a rapid progression period and then it slowed down again once she was learning more elite skills. Recently we have had another breakthrough and she is again gaining quite a few skills in the past few months.
It definetley keeps it interesting!! Congrats to your daughter!! This is the fun side of it all :)

That is awesome she has her full @ 11! I am hoping CP will get hers in the next couple years (she is 12).

Standing tuck
Toe, hand, tuck
Toe, hand, hand tuck
RO handspring layout (unpiked her layout)
Standing hand, hand layout
Double down
and is working on her RO hand layout hand hand layout.....

you have to figure that your cp has been doing drills for these skills for the past 5-7 months. Once a mental obstacle is overcome the body is already prepared to do the skills.
My daughter had a rapid progression period and then it slowed down again once she was learning more elite skills. Recently we have had another breakthrough and she is again gaining quite a few skills in the past few months.
It definetley keeps it interesting!! Congrats to your daughter!! This is the fun side of it all :)
That is what I was thinking..something must've finally mentally "clicked" that let her mind accept that her body could do all those things she has been working toward.. its just crazy and FUN to watch after months & months of frustration!

Thanks....she is so pleased to finally be landing it!!!

It is fun to watch them hit the things they've been working for....makes all that check writing worth it!!!

That is awesome she has her full @ 11! I am hoping CP will get hers in the next couple years (she is 12).

Standing tuck
Toe, hand, tuck
Toe, hand, hand tuck
RO handspring layout (unpiked her layout)
Standing hand, hand layout
Double down
and is working on her RO hand layout hand hand layout.....
OH and front walkover into her RO hand tuck hand hand tuck

I definitely agree with what @tinytumblersmom is saying!

My daughter had the same thing happening to her she had been working on her BHS since last fall and had been throwing it very incorrectly by her self since January. They would coach and coach her on how to fix it and in April I began to really get frustrated how she been throwing it incorrectly for months. She knew how to do it because if you would just barely spot her it was right. You step away and it was like all her confidence went away and she forgot what she was doing. Literally in mid April like a week away from tryouts she did it and did it so right and then after that everything just started working for her. One of the girls helping with tryouts told me that she did amazing and killed the BHS. Right after practice for her new team started her confidence went thought the roof. She got her jumps to BHS. Her multiple BHS (standing and running). her BHS step-out. Her front walkover. Pretty much everything you do with a BHS and down she can do it. She is working tucks and because of this she has so much confidence she will throw it by her self on any mat! Now she isn't correctly doing it and definitely doesn't have the landing down but working for it. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes really soon!

The only thing I'm worried about is were moving far from our gym. I'm still going to drive her here 3 days a week for practice but the 4th day a week that were normally at the gym for tumbling I'm going to drop it & take her to an all-star gym close to the place were moving and let her attend their tumbling class. Now she loves our coaches if I don't see her succeeding at the other place I may switch back and make the drive to our gym for tumbling!

But congrats that is amazing and so exciting! Tell her to keep up the hard work!

I sometimes will have what I call a "tumbling explosion" and get or fix two or three skills in a short amount of time like that. Congrats to your CP!!

Back