Tumbling Progression

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SheCheers

Cheer Parent
Mar 6, 2011
What is the proper progression after layout?
Once my cp got her multiple bhs, they started working tuck, then once she got that it was standing tuck and layout. I feel her layout is still a bit piked, but once she was consistently sticking it, they started working on her half/full. But they're not consistently working on the full with her, anymore it's just sporadic. She'll go several weeks without throwing it once In the meantime, they started working on punch front (she got it right away), then they did a pass that included a whip (I feel like learning a whip at this point isn't helping the piked layout at all). Which she also got right away. Last class they spotted her a few times on a full, but then started having her do front handsprings and punch front step out.

She doesn't do privates, so this is tumbling class with several different instructors, but I'm not sure if it's good, bad, doesn't matter...I'm not in a rush for her to get anything in particular, but I'm just wondering what should be the next step, should I question what they're doing or just trust it/go with it. My thought is working on one or two things consistently is more beneficial than several things here and there.

Personally, I'd prefer to see a good level 4 pass before pushing for the half/full. I think working the whip to tuck/layout and especially the punch front step out through to layout should be comfortable before getting too heavily invested in the full.

My CP went into a private last season to clean up her layout and work on her standing tuck. We ended up spending several sessions just reworking her bhs and cleaning up her setup. It has made a big difference. I have a tendancy to get ahead of myself (I was a typical 3rd year psycho cheer parent), but that is why our incredible coaches are there to slow her me down.

So, should I ask the coach about perfecting her layout before proceeding with the other skills?

So, should I ask the coach about perfecting her layout before proceeding with the other skills?

before twisting she should perfect her layout.... front tumbling will not effect her layout. when learning doubles my cp had to throw 5 perfect layouts in her private...then 5 perfect fulls....then on to doubles. If you don't have a great layout you will struggle to ever get a pretty double.

Back