Music Tutorial: How To Mix Your Own Cheermix.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 1, 2010
Since everybody wants to mix her/his own mix, i give u the basic steps what u should know for your own mix. If u have some correction or better ideas give me a message. I´m not native english, so if u find misspellings, tell it to me or keep them:D

This is only one way how to, if you want to do a otherway, do it.

What u need:
A good mix programm and a good knowledge how to use it.
The programm MUST have:

Time streching/Resample​
Raster graphic where u can setting up the BPM and a​
BPM counter which save the BPM in your track (recommend) or you write it down and calculate by your own the difference to your project BPM.​
There are seperate BPM counter software that u can use.​
Make sure that the timestreching effect have the following windows/points:

Standard (VERY IMPORTANT, if u set up the BPM, your music sound like the chipmunks if you don´t disconnect the pitching from timestreching, so u have to select standard or whatever your programm it called),​
BPM Window (that´s make it easier to change the speed of the track) i think every programm has it, but i don´t know.​

Have a good sound effects collection, if u don´t have, there are tons of sfx out there, google it. Build effects are very helpfully for transitions to the next track or highlight.

Soundfiles like beats, high hats, percussion etc.
Most of the mix software has soundfilse included, if yours don´t have, you know how to search.
Time to learn.
An acapella version and the instrumental part of every music that you want to use in your mix.

Okay here we go:

Step 1:
Go to the kitchen and organize some food and energy drinks, u will need them.

Step 2:
You have to know how many 8-counts do u need. Why? Cause the BPM depends on your 8-count lenght. Here is a 8-count and BPM comparison.

Step 3:
Start the mix programm and make all the settings u need (look on your 8-count sheet), it´s important that u switch the raster on and select your BPM. You can also turn on the metronom, but for me, i hate the sound. Set a marker for the end so that u ever know where the dead point is.
Markers must line up with the raster.

Step 4:
Again, this depends all of your 8-count sheet.
Set a marker on every change you want to make in the music. (Only on the first counts). After this you should have as many marker as your programm have parts e.g.: Your routine looks like this: intro, beginning, stunts, tumbling, jumps, pyramid and dance so you need 6 marker. Why not 7? You don´t need a marker for the end ;)
Load in your music (acapella and instrumental), lock them together, so that you can move them together, otherwise you have to match them up every time again on every move.
Alright here comes the BPM counter.
Measure the BPM and save it into the file or remember it, after this change the BPM in the timestreching effect to your BPM that u use in your project file without changing the pitching.

Step 5:
Cut out the parts that you need (if you make the cut, it should cut both acapella and insrumental) and delete the rest.
Every music part should start on the first count, don´t cut it on the 3rd or 6th count it doesn´t sound good.

Step 6:
Next, line up the tracks with the markers and eat something.

Step 7:
Here comes your creativity, add some new back beats, cut out instrumental on highlight parts or something else. Do what ever you want. If you use back beats go to the instrumental parts equalizer and reduce the bass area or use back beats that match with the original drums.
Play around with differnt acapella and instrumental parts.

Step 8:
Normalize your tracks, so that every part has the same volume.

Step 9:
Add your sound effects and be happy for the finish.

Tips:
For international reader whose mother tongue is not english, listen to the lyrics.
Don´t use sound effects where nothing happens, it sounds horrible if there are five bell sounds and nothing happens, so don´t use it.
It´s lame to use the same effect over and over in the whole routine.
So the effect should describe the movement in the routine. There
should be a difference between full down sound effects and back tucks. For twist movements should be the effect a sound with a assembly of short effects, for a back tuck a effect with a low beginning a high point and a low end.
For transitions from one part to the next, use build effects or some vocals from other artist. Play around. After build effects are often explosion effects.
If you add voice overs, try to make a little drum roll in front of it and no drums during the voice.
Snares and noise sounds are good for background sounds.
It helps when u can make your own voice overs, it makes transition easier.
If you are finished make a pause and listen to the mix a few hours later, don´t look at the screen, so you can better realize if something sounds bad.

This is like the best info ever! Thank you so much Tommy! I am just wondering how do you an acapella version and an instrumental version of every song? Does that exist? Because I have never seen it anywhere. Is there a place where you can buy it?

Yes, its excist. So most i download it from youtube, but there are also in itunes. I google the title with the addition of intrumental or acapella most time i found what i´m searching for, but there are also things you can´t find yet e.g. acapella version of the time by black eyed peas. Good luck

This is like the best info ever! Thank you so much Tommy! I am just wondering how do you an acapella version and an instrumental version of every song? Does that exist? Because I have never seen it anywhere. Is there a place where you can buy it?
go to 4shared.com and search [song here] instrumentals and you should get what you want thats just a easy way to do it

dont use the brackets lol

Tip One: Length of Songs
Use songs in your cheer music mix for at least three eight counts, but no more than six eight counts. If the length is too short, it makes the music seem choppy. If it's too long, it makes the routine drag.

Tip Two: Make Sure Your Music Flows
Ideally, you'll be thinking of specific choreography that goes with certain elements of your cheerleading music mix. It's important that the cheerleading music and the choreography go together and flow without being too choppy.

Tip Three: Cheering In the Middle of Music
If you are at a high school cheerleading competition, chances are good that you'll have to put a cheer in the middle of your routine. The energy of a routine drops substantially when this is done. To help minimize this effect, consider putting a back beat into your music to help energize the cheer portion.

My teammate took a class on a program called "Pro Tools", one of the most expensive mixing programs. The teacher showed them a way to pull apart each sound in a song, i.e. drum loop, vocals, each instrument. It was pretty sick. So if you know someone familiar with that program I'm sure they could help.

Step 7:
Here comes your creativity, add some new back beats, cut out instrumental on highlight parts or something else

This has been very useful. I'm well on my way atm, but i still don't get the real cheerleading music feel in my mix :/ probably because i'm still looking for some good backbeats/drum loops. I've searched all over the internet, but i couldn't find any good ones to use in the cheermixes, all the drumloops i downloaded thus far are too accoustic or 'rock', then other ones sound like heavy metal club dances. Do you know where to find a good basic cheer drum loop?

This has been very useful. I'm well on my way atm, but i still don't get the real cheerleading music feel in my mix :/ probably because i'm still looking for some good backbeats/drum loops. I've searched all over the internet, but i couldn't find any good ones to use in the cheermixes, all the drumloops i downloaded thus far are too accoustic or 'rock', then other ones sound like heavy metal club dances. Do you know where to find a good basic cheer drum loop?
Slapfire has some good drum loops. But you can find it also on every sound websites or build your own in FL Studio.

What music program do you suggest?
Sony Acid is the leading mixing programm in cheerleading.
I use Magix samplitude pro, it´s very easy to use and for generating builds and beats FL Studio

is anyone using a free software? i downloaded the free version of sony acid, but i feel like i'm going to have to pay before i export.

is anyone using a free software? i downloaded the free version of sony acid, but i feel like i'm going to have to pay before i export.
Do you have a Mac? I bet you'd be able to put something together in Garage Band.

Back