All-Star Twerk Ban

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am tardy to the twerk party, but what are peoples thoughts on hip hop teams that have twerking in their routines?

I am tardy to the twerk party, but what are peoples thoughts on hip hop teams that have twerking in their routines?
Umm..hm. Here's the thing- I don't mind a legal adult 18+ throwing a hip pop here and there. But if you're twerking for more than two counts, you PROBABLY need a new choreographer. Because I'd wager they ran out of stuff for you to do.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/opinion/sunday/explaining-twerking-to-your-parents.html?_r=1&

I'm laughing so hard after reading this!!

Here's a little preview - definitely worth reading the whole thing.

Upon hearing what twerking is, it is natural for your parents to want to experiment with it. They may even proudly announce, “Look at us, we’re twerking!” not recognizing the inappropriateness of their actions and words. Try to resist the urge to chastise them; doing so will only increase their desire to twerk in defiance, perhaps in private.

This article pissed me off when I read it a few days ago and here I am. Rereading and still pisses me off.

I understand that it was a (poor)attempt at satire

"Explain that twerking is a dance move typically associated with lower-income African-American women that involves the rapid gyration of the hips in a fashion that prominently exhibits the elasticity of the gluteal musculature."

I personally associate twerking with teens. Why? Because those are the people posting any twerk Vine/video that I've seen.

In reality the nation is only talking about twerking this much because a wealthy white woman backed her thang up on a nearly equally wealthy white man....yet this dance is a dance associated with poor black women. Well okay then.

Like I simply cannot with this kind of blatant racist remark from the author of this article.

Again. To quote Jay Z "somewhere in America, Miley Cyrus is twerking and I'm still putting work in"

That statement in that article is probably exactly why jay z penned those lyrics.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Last edited:
I really don't get the whole twerking thing.....this was made popular in the Bring It On movie.....don't remember which one; the one with Rehianna and Salonge (Beyonce's sister). I did not really see anything wrong with it then partly beause of the context. However, when taken out of context, it is disturbing. This is a dance move and has been around for many years, but know we have tweens and younger with social media - this is where I feel the line is crossed. I remember my daughter showing me how to do it and challenged me at it....Yes I beat her butt, because this is something I did when I danced in HS....many many many years ago and yes I still got it....BUT that was at home with my daughters, my daughter knows better than to video record herself and even think about posting it somewhere.....she love living too much. So as adults we have to try and keep it in its proper context.....How can I not dance with my 15 year old daughter, but I can talk to her about sex?....Again, it is not the dance, but the context in which it is done that is the issue.....JMO

This article pissed me off when I read it a few days ago and here I am. Rereading and still pisses me off.

"Explain that twerking is a dance move typically associated with lower-income African-American women that involves the rapid gyration of the hips in a fashion that prominently exhibits the elasticity of the gluteal musculature."

I personally associate twerking with teens. Why? Because those are the people posting any twerk Vine/video that I've seen.

In reality the nation is only talking about twerking this much because a wealthy white woman backed her thang up on a nearly equally wealthy white man....yet this dance is a dance associated with poor black women. Well okay then.

Like I simply cannot with this kind of blatant racist remark from the author of this article.

I have to say, when I read it I was definitely :eek::eek::eek: when I read that sentence. Um...what? No, it's associated with: some strippers, most teenagers, Miley Cyrus, and some people with an incredible ability to make their cheeks...um..."clap" (I am definitely not one of those people).

"Lower income African American women"? I know lots of them ...and only one or two of them twerk. And that's after we drink a lot. And it's not on vine.

That was racist and uncalled for. Completely.

Again. To quote Jay Z "somewhere in America, Miley Cyrus is twerking and I'm still putting work in"

That statement in that article is probably exactly why jay z penned those lyrics.

You're right, his definition/description of twerking is racist and inappropriate. I wish now that I had paid more attention to that part before I posted the link.

You know, its funny. Because when I posted my response to the article I was going to mention that and ask people how they felt about it.

This is hardly the first mention I've seen of twerking being described as part of "black culture" or it being attached to "black women of middle or lower class." I don't know how I would feel about twerking or any such ridiculous fad being attached to my race..do people take pride in that? I keep seeing things like 'white girls can't twerk', so I have no idea, but I know its silly to generalize the feelings of an entire group based off of a few people. Anyone care to share?

I will say that, just in my own experience, the very few twerking videos I've seen, several of them are large black women. How in the hell anyone can know how much money these people make in their personal lives from watching a video is beyond me. The others I've seen have been the few cheer ones someone on here has directed us to. But I must admit, I'm limited in my exposure to twerking vids. And I don't use Vine, thank god.

But on a not unrelated subject, I'm as white as they come, have good size booty for my frame, and I can shake what my mama gave me. ;) So white women CAN twerk! LOL

Back