All-Star Twerk Ban

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

They will not pull up a vine video of you twerking to deny you admittance into grad school, and they shouldn't do it for a job either. What you do in your personal life IS and ALWAYS should be separate from you work life. They are two completely different things.
Really? Talk to any teacher to find out just how separate their personal and professional lives are. There is NO different in the eyes of the school district. Some districts have rules as strict as "teachers may not consume alcohol at any establishment within district boundaries" (so if you live in the town where you teach, you can't have a glass of wine with dinner). Teachers Facebook pages are looked at, in Pennsylvania a college senior, just days from graduation, had her teaching certificate revoked by the state and the university changed her diploma over a facebook photo of her with a cup in her hand and the caption "drunken pirate".
Would-Be Teacher Denied Degree Over 'Drunken Pirate' MySpace Photo Sues University | Fox News

sorry, it was MYSpace, not Facebook.

Regarding 3: As a grown male with plenty of testosterone, I find twerking to be one of the least "sexually seductive" forms of dancing out there. I either think it looks silly, or I'm sincerely baffled/impressed about how the dancers can even control those muscles. I can understand why some men in some cultures might find it arousing in certain contexts, but twerking is no more objectively sexual than the splits, or a quick pop of the chest--both of which are seen regularly in just about every cheer routine, including your own gym's.

Regarding 4: I think it's great if a business and its customers can have a great relationship by sharing the same moral codes. However, can you please share with me the passage in the Bible where it says "thou shalt not twerk"? Since the sexualization of twerking, splits, any sort of leg-spreading or popping in general is completely dependent on context, I just don't understand what sort of "vision and philosophy" your gym is trying to uphold with the blanket ban on a particular dance fad.

What really bothers me is the implication of your post is that since your gym is banning twerking, its upholding part of Christ's message more effectively than other gyms or people who don't have any spiritual qualms about twerking. One of my best friends is one of the smartest, kindest, and most devout Christians that I have the pleasure of knowing. Your post insinuates that she's not adhering to part of God's will as well as Twist and Shout is because she doesn't consider it a sin to try out silly dances like twerking with her friends.

If a gym wants to prevent their athletes from performing certain dance forms--fine. But don't try to claim that it has anything at all to do with obeying God; at least acknowledge that its designation as "vulgarity" is completely arbitrary when you take into account just about every other part of cheer.

1) trying to say doing the splits or pulling body positions is the same as gyrating your rear end forcefully back and forth is even remotely the same doesn't even deserve a response. It's not, not even close.

2) please don't put words in my mouth and say I am insinuating that our gym is somehow more holy than others just because we decided to have a twerking ban. The Bible says to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. What we all do with ourselves is between us and God. We personally believe any form of dancing that is sexual in nature is inappropriate and should not be condoned by our gym. We never said these kids couldn't twerk if they so choose to. We simply said keep it off social media and keep it out of the gym. Period. So they can experiment away at home or with their friends as long as they don't video it and post it online.

3) I grew up with 3 brothers and currently have a dozen teenage nephews. Every single one of them will tell you that watching girls twerk in barely any clothes is hard to do (trying to keep it clean and not use certain words lol) are there other dances out there that are even more sexual in nature? Sure. They just aren't all the rage right now popping up on every social media site imaginable. Regardless, we believe twerking is inappropriate 1) for minors and 2) to be put on social media for all to see. That's it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

1) trying to say doing the splits or pulling body positions is the same as gyrating your rear end forcefully back and forth is even remotely the same doesn't even deserve a response. It's not, not even close.

2) please don't put words in my mouth and say I am insinuating that our gym is somehow more holy than others just because we decided to have a twerking ban. The Bible says to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. What we all do with ourselves is between us and God. We personally believe any form of dancing that is sexual in nature is inappropriate and should not be condoned by our gym. We never said these kids couldn't twerk if they so choose to. We simply said keep it off social media and keep it out of the gym. Period. So they can experiment away at home or with their friends as long as they don't video it and post it online.

I think this is the point that people are missing in this whole discussion.

Really? Talk to any teacher to find out just how separate their personal and professional lives are. There is NO different in the eyes of the school district. Some districts have rules as strict as "teachers may not consume alcohol at any establishment within district boundaries" (so if you live in the town where you teach, you can't have a glass of wine with dinner). Teachers Facebook pages are looked at, in Pennsylvania a college senior, just days from graduation, had her teaching certificate revoked by the state and the university changed her diploma over a facebook photo of her with a cup in her hand and the caption "drunken pirate".
Would-Be Teacher Denied Degree Over 'Drunken Pirate' MySpace Photo Sues University | Fox News

sorry, it was MYSpace, not Facebook.
Lawd, I could tell stories. Teachers have no personal life. If they think they do, they're terribly mistaken and have a time bomb ticking on their social media accounts.

And for this we get paid like NBA players (who can behave however they like, fail 3 drug tests and only get a 1 game suspension) and respected like doctors.

We never said these kids couldn't twerk if they so choose to. We simply said keep it off social media and keep it out of the gym. Period. So they can experiment away at home or with their friends as long as they don't video it and post it online.

I agree to that and I'm a teenager. My friends and I used to joke "twerk" but we never recorded it and posted online.

The Fiercest App of All... Fierce Board

The gym has the right to have whatever policy they want as they are a private organization. I personally think twerking is being over-sexualized. It's just the new fad in dancing, I've seen many teams even incorporate it into their routines. Does it bring attention to the athletes bum, yes. But what does a shimmy do? It brings attention to a girls chest, but shimmies are thought of as cute & socially acceptable. I'm sure when that whole craze started parents everywhere were having panic attacks, just as they are now about twerking. Soon it will be just as acceptable as a shimmy or any other dance move.
That being said any gym has the right to ban certain behaviors in their athletes on social media & such to uphold their standards & image.& any parent has the authority to control their childrens actions as well. I know some parents that don't like twerking at my gym & some that got their daughters "twerk team" tshirts. You're always gonna find people who view things totally differently. The trick is them finding a gym that mirrors their personal values.

I just saw a video on tumblr with the caption "us serving you fierceness at top gun today" and it shows like five teenage kids lined up against the wall shaking their butts. Personally I did not find it fierce at all and if I put a video out on the internet of me doing that my parents would not be happy with me.

I approve of this Twerk Ban.

ETA: then I scrolled down and saw a gif of a entire stunt group twerking in a half with twerk shirts. I don't understand why people think this is so cool to do.

Yes but a lot of gyms incorporate some type of butt shaking or to some "inappropriate dancing" to their routine. And it's considered fierce and amazing then. I'm just saying as long as they aren't doing it in anything that represents the gym they really can't control what their athletes do.

Who says it's considered fierce? If I see inappropriate dancing in a youth or even junior dance, I cringe. On my daughter's youth team last year, there wasn't any cringe-worthy dancing. So not every gym incorporates butt shaking for the young ones, and I would venture to guess, most gyms do not.

Twerking in general is, to me, just dumb and trashy. But maybe I'm just old - or a mom. ;)

Back