High School Uca All-american

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 8, 2011
My high school team is going to UCA cheer camp next week. We've been given information on trying out for All-American, and I can't decide if I want to do it or not! Right now I'm leaning towards yes, because you only have to do a dance, a cheer, and a jump; which are all my strong suits. I'm just concerned because I'm only a sophomore so I don't know if that would hurt my chances. So should I try out, and if so, any tips or advice? Thanks!

you should go for it!
im gonna be a sophomore 2 and i want to do it 2!
some ppl did it last yr and i think the most important thing is just to smile and have fun:)
good luck!

When we were in school there was a UCA rule, you could have ALL of your seniors try out or just 2 team members if you want and underclassman to tryout. So check to see if that's still UCA's rule, and what your team is doing. Our team always just did the "all seniors" tryout...that way it was a privilege for the seniors.

Dont be upset/shocked if you dont make it.
On my team, 2 of our WORLD CHAMPIONS didn't make it, while other people on different teams who obviously had no cheer experience did make it. just a warning!

When we were in school there was a UCA rule, you could have ALL of your seniors try out or just 2 team members if you want and underclassman to tryout. So check to see if that's still UCA's rule, and what your team is doing. Our team always just did the "all seniors" tryout...that way it was a privilege for the seniors.

Currently it's 6 team members or all seniors

My oldest daughter just came back from UCA camp. She made All-American last year when she was in 8th grade but she said she didn't want to try out again this year. She made the Freshman cheer squad captain and said that the UCA cheer camp was so stressful that there was no way she was going to add the stress of not making it since it would be expected of her since she was the captain. I was disappointed but accepted her decision. I was able to observe the tryouts and was even more disappointed because I'm positive she would have made it.

Go for it. That is the kind of stuff that looks good on a college application.

I've ALWAYS been puzzled by their all-American selections. Nothing against the girls who are selected at all. I'm just always left scratching my head about girls that DONT make it. I've watched year afte year girls that blow me away (from all teams) not get picked. It's like "uh, why not? They're completely amazing?!". It really doesn't matter if you mess up either. Idk WHAT they're looking for. I just tell my girls it's a crapshoot and do NOT take it personally if they aren't selected.

I am an incoming sophomore and I got All American this year. It's simple, trust me. They gave it to 5 of the 7 girls who tried out. I'm not going to London, because it's like $3000, but I did send in for the patch for my letter jacket. It also looks good on job applications and college applications.

im not sure what they are looking for. i know a girl that tried out ever since 7th grade and made it every time except her senior year and she had a great tryout. a girl messed up terribly but made it over her. i dont get it sometimes

Trying out for All-American and making it completely depends on what camp you're at. Smaller camps that only have a handful of girls trying out will result in a higher percentage of cheerleaders making All-American (in my experience). I've gone to UCA camp as a coach 5 times, and I've been shocked by results every single time. It's very political as well... If a small school attends and has one girl with mediocre skills tryout, she'll make it 90% of the time because she's the only one representing her program. That girl will usually make it over better cheerleaders from teams who have a handful of kids trying out.

Also, I hate that they limit the number of kids who can tryout. My sideline program had 30 girls at camp, and we could either let as many seniors as we want tryout or just 6 girls. NOT FAIR. Schools with only 12 girls could have 50% of their team tryout, but my squad could only have 20%. They should limit it to seniors-only OR a percentage of your team.

With all that being said, you should give it a shot. It looks good on future applications if you make it, and it's fun to get the medal and recognition. If you don't make it, don't get down on yourself. Who even knows what they're looking for most times...

Im not exactly sure what theyre looking for either. at my camp, pretty much all the girls who tried out forgot part of the cheer or dance, but still made it. a girl on my team had a pretty much flawless tryout and didnt make it, while the girl next to her who forgot the whole dance did.

i went 2 a nca camp which gave out all american award as well... basically u had to b nominated. they choose a few girls that they see strong skills in and then those girls tryout in front of the team. we did a jump sequence of 3 jumps of choice then tumbling then a cheer and dance. im a freshman and i got the all american title so u shuld b fine:)

Back