College Uca College Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

UCA is "the old boys club". If your college coach was UCA staff, you're "in", if your coach wasn't-you're "out". Those "in" coaches get the inside scoop of what they are looking for. UCA is a "home grown" organization. You can only judge for them if you were a UCA staffer, those judges only give the scoop to their staffer buddies. It's how it works.
I love the UCA style for school cheer, but I don't love how the system works. Like you've pointed out, there isn't a published rubric of what is in the top, middle and low range for each skill-so how do you know how to max out?

That's how it works for UCA staffing my area too - who you know within the company is more important then actual knowledge, skill, and experience.

I talked with Andy and a couple people on the team at Epcot on Sunday and apparently the score sheet said something about their rewinds, and they do not do rewinds in their routine. I think this is hte situation you are talking about.

Judging consistency definitely wasnt there. For partner stunts my group placed 5th (we didnt hit a very good routine at all) but 1 judge scored us a 94 (3 points above 1st place average) and another scored us in 90's, then we had a judge score us an 81, our average ended up being 87 I think, and we didnt hit a very good routine, and the other group that got 4th and hit a great routine only scored .05 or so above us. And their routine wasnt much different than their tape and the score sheets for their tape told them great variety, then the score sheets from the weekend said not enough variety.

there were alot of teams that had issues with scores. like you said, on csu's scoresheet it said something about their rewinds, and they didn't do rewinds, and all their scores were erased and rewritten. i know our all girl team had the highest scoring cheer at UCA nationals last year, and they did the same exact cheer this year, and scored extremely low.
i don't understand UCA, and i don't try to. it was an enjoyable experience for sure, but i wil say i was rather shocked with some of the results.
but congrats to BAMA, roll tide!

and all their scores were erased and rewritten.

When I judge we must use pen. If we need to make a change we can only go higher and we must initial it, and the head judge must initial it. If you're head judge you must have someone else sign off on it.

UCA is "the old boys club". If your college coach was UCA staff, you're "in", if your coach wasn't-you're "out". Those "in" coaches get the inside scoop of what they are looking for. UCA is a "home grown" organization. You can only judge for them if you were a UCA staffer, those judges only give the scoop to their staffer buddies. It's how it works.
I love the UCA style for school cheer, but I don't love how the system works. Like you've pointed out, there isn't a published rubric of what is in the top, middle and low range for each skill-so how do you know how to max out?

I've always thought something like that cheering at LSU and working UCA staff for 3 years, but I don't want to start any conspiracies so I keep it to myself. I just know that it def does help when you are an "All In" UCA supporter. But it doesn't guarantee you anything. The LSU Tiger Girls coach is very high up in UCA and VROC, but they placed 3rd in Hip hop after a few mistakes when they were in 1st after Semi's. And honestly, I think the only UCA teams left are one still coached by former UCA staff. It's honestly like some sort of a frat. I used to be big onto the Varsity band wagon, but have jumped off in the past few years for different reasons.

Overall there were a lot of discrepancies with scores. The weekend is over though, so congrats to all the teams that won (deserved or not) and good luck next year. Hope everything is straightened out with UCA by then.

Here's a nice video:

Kentucky's 2011 routine. You definitely see a better glance at the bobbles and tumbling falls.

Here's a nice video:

Kentucky's 2011 routine. You definitely see a better glance at the bobbles and tumbling falls.

They got robbed
mad.png

i really don't get why everyone is saying UK got robbed. UCA values hitting, and cleanliness. A team with a tumbling bust and bobbles is not going to (and shouldn't) beat a team that hits clean. Even though their routine had more difficulty, they didn't hit it as well as bama did. It'a all about the scoresheet

i really don't get why everyone is saying UK got robbed. UCA values hitting, and cleanliness. A team with a tumbling bust and bobbles is not going to (and shouldn't) beat a team that hits clean. Even though their routine had more difficulty, they didn't hit it as well as bama did. It'a all about the scoresheet
UofK bobbled last year in an elite stunt and it was very noticeable, yet they still came out on top.

The only thing that I think ruined it for them was definitely the guys tumbling pass where he feel straight on his behind. Other than that, it was a good routine.

I disagree on the difficulty thing. Bama had some more difficult pieces in their routine. UK though does execute quite a bit better in general (outside of the bobble and fall).

Back