College Uca College Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That's what I heard from the coaches. So unless they lied to me and their own team, I'm pretty sure it's true.

That's what I heard from the coaches. So unless they lied to me and their own team, I'm pretty sure it's true.

maybe your wording is off.

to win at UCA you have to have unassisted rewinds (or an unassisted stunt in general)

do you mean up-spotted?

Was it that they didn't get as many points because they didn't have an unassisted elite stunt? From what I see of the video on varsity.com (which doesn't show the full routine, so something could be left out) that would be the case.

From what I heard it was DEDUCTION, not "no points/credit for". It might be a misunderstanding on my part but those are the words I remember.

From what I heard it was DEDUCTION, not "no points/credit for". It might be a misunderstanding on my part but those are the words I remember.

So I will admit the UCA scoresheet is practically a different language to me, but, do you get deductions for putting hands on you one arm stunts? The far right was supposed to be a cupie but had two hands. Other than that I cant tell anything else from the videos.

Would love to see the scoresheets! But we all the likelyhood of seeing them in allstar is. Seeing them in college is about as likely as seeing an arabian on Iraq's cheer team.

Wow! that was CLOSE!!!

Alabama: 93.8
Kentucky: 93.6

162710_763125962702_41104718_40948969_1457047_n.jpg

This all goes back to the tumbling bust during the elite sequence. I bet 9 out of 10 time he nails it perfectly. This time he didn't and it potentially cost them another national title. I do like the fact that UCA judges awarded Bama for a flawless routine.

I talked with Andy and a couple people on the team at Epcot on Sunday and apparently the score sheet said something about their rewinds, and they do not do rewinds in their routine. I think this is hte situation you are talking about.

Judging consistency definitely wasnt there. For partner stunts my group placed 5th (we didnt hit a very good routine at all) but 1 judge scored us a 94 (3 points above 1st place average) and another scored us in 90's, then we had a judge score us an 81, our average ended up being 87 I think, and we didnt hit a very good routine, and the other group that got 4th and hit a great routine only scored .05 or so above us. And their routine wasnt much different than their tape and the score sheets for their tape told them great variety, then the score sheets from the weekend said not enough variety.

I talked with Andy and a couple people on the team at Epcot on Sunday and apparently the score sheet said something about their rewinds, and they do not do rewinds in their routine. I think this is hte situation you are talking about.

Judging consistency definitely wasnt there. For partner stunts my group placed 5th (we didnt hit a very good routine at all) but 1 judge scored us a 94 (3 points above 1st place average) and another scored us in 90's, then we had a judge score us an 81, our average ended up being 87 I think, and we didnt hit a very good routine, and the other group that got 4th and hit a great routine only scored .05 or so above us. And their routine wasnt much different than their tape and the score sheets for their tape told them great variety, then the score sheets from the weekend said not enough variety.

There really isnt a rubric for group or partner stunts, so from what I get people are allowed to do whatever they want on a scoresheet.

This all goes back to the tumbling bust during the elite sequence. I bet 9 out of 10 time he nails it perfectly. This time he didn't and it potentially cost them another national title. I do like the fact that UCA judges awarded Bama for a flawless routine.

Im amazed at the time put into tumbling when its worth so little. And the risk.

Thanks for helping to shed some light on the situation I was talking about. I wish I could get a look at the score sheets (even just a blank one) to try and understand the judging for the whole comp.

im just saying the consistency was a bit off base, it seemed a little subjective (note: im not upset about my place, our routine looked janky). my groups high score was 94, and low was 81. just weird in my opinion!!

1. It amazes me that tumbling is worth soo little and stunts soo much. And without a rubric who knows what will score a 4.3 or a 5.0. Maybe without that pass UK gets second by .3 instead

2. I think the teams are saying hey look my guy who isn't doing these elite stunts can tumble so he is meaningful. But it doesn't always work out for the best. Back in the day when I competed for LSU, we had a guy throw a double, yes they were legal back then, during out elite sequence and he completely busted on it. We ended up in like 13th that year :(

This is reply to King's post BTW... I couldn't use the reply button for some reason.

they thought a semi limited team already had a worlds bid and didn't give them one, then realized the mistake and offered them a full paid..UCA Nationals 2010.

i think he was being sarcastic. ;)

1. It amazes me that tumbling is worth soo little and stunts soo much. And without a rubric who knows what will score a 4.3 or a 5.0. Maybe without that pass UK gets second by .3 instead

2. I think the teams are saying hey look my guy who isn't doing these elite stunts can tumble so he is meaningful. But it doesn't always work out for the best. Back in the day when I competed for LSU, we had a guy throw a double, yes they were legal back then, during out elite sequence and he completely busted on it. We ended up in like 13th that year :(

This is reply to King's post BTW... I couldn't use the reply button for some reason.

I think that is the thing that would be SO hard to compete at UCA for. How do you know what wins? What clues you into what scored well and what doesnt? Maybe UK maxed out tumbling... but maybe so did someone else who did WAY less. When I look at a skill as to whether to keep it in or take it out I ask myself, self, is that skill the reason we are gonna win? But what if (tumbling hitting perfectly) UK still didn't max out tumbling?

And where did all the UCA colleges separate themselves? Bama had a harder team stunt, but UK had a harder elite stunt. But looking at the scoresheet how do you know you need an elite and team stunt? And which one is more important?

UCA is "the old boys club". If your college coach was UCA staff, you're "in", if your coach wasn't-you're "out". Those "in" coaches get the inside scoop of what they are looking for. UCA is a "home grown" organization. You can only judge for them if you were a UCA staffer, those judges only give the scoop to their staffer buddies. It's how it works.
I love the UCA style for school cheer, but I don't love how the system works. Like you've pointed out, there isn't a published rubric of what is in the top, middle and low range for each skill-so how do you know how to max out?

Back