High School Uca Nationals 2017

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think me and @OldskoolKYcheercoach have warped opinions based on geography and the cheer culture here. We live in the UCA bubble. It would take a lot for teams in our general region to stop going to UCA Nationals. Camp, music etc changes may frustrate people around here, but it's really not going to effect how we do things. I haven't noticed a drop or influx either way.

I can see how a California team would be different though. For the most part Cali teams aren't geared towards UCA. NHSCC is far away and expensive. The local level talent isn't as deep because the area is so spread out, so finding teams and competitions to go to before nationals is probably more challenging. In this area, UCA nationals has been a thing for generations. Current cheerleaders had parents that went there, it's a whole culture that just isn't there yet in Cali. I can see why it would deter a west coast team from buying into the idea if they're not at that competitive level or don't have the goal to be.

I know it would never happen, but I, for one, would be in favor of having a more centralized location for NHSCC. I totally understand the lure of WDW, and the marketing machine that's involved; but even when I was competing at NHSCC myself 20 years ago, the east coast location didn't seem fair to all.

I know it would never happen, but I, for one, would be in favor of having a more centralized location for NHSCC. I totally understand the lure of WDW, and the marketing machine that's involved; but even when I was competing at NHSCC myself 20 years ago, the east coast location didn't seem fair to all.

I'm trying to think of a location that would be fair to both sides. Maybe Dallas like NCA nationals is?

In my head:

Denver seems the biggest city most centrally located. The weather would suck like a Hoover in February, I'm sure.

Though if anyone remembers nationals this past year the weather was just as bad...

Denver is a long way for eastern teams to go to. And more people are tempted to make the trip to Disney world than to Denver in February lol.

Though if anyone remembers nationals this past year the weather was just as bad...

Denver is a long way for eastern teams to go to. And more people are tempted to make the trip to Disney world than to Denver in February lol.

Can't argue about the weather at nationals this year. It was horrific

I know that Bluegrass Regionals will no doubt have plenty of top teams this year. I know that Greenup County is competing at the Miami Valley Regionals this weekend, however.

I saw the northeast regional is gonna be on stream on varsity's streaming service. I would buy it for that weekend just to see what teams like Burlington and others look like right now.

I don't know UCA high school too well. So I have some questions. How many bids are given out? Different for each state/regionals? How many regionals for each state? Are these required camps in summer? Is the music or mixes different from NCA nationals/Allstars? Like is there less voiceovers etc?

This for more Goergia Schools or other states that have a different routine layout than UCA format. How much needs to be re-choreographed for nationals.
Thanks.
ETA: more bid questions. How are they given out? Highest score of entire regional comp? Winning your division? Or many from each division?

I don't know UCA high school too well. So I have some questions. How many bids are given out? Different for each state/regionals? How many regionals for each state? Are these required camps in summer? Is the music or mixes different from NCA nationals/Allstars? Like is there less voiceovers etc?

This for more Goergia Schools or other states that have a different routine layout than UCA format. How much needs to be re-choreographed for nationals.
Thanks.
ETA: more bid questions. How are they given out? Highest score of entire regional comp? Winning your division? Or many from each division?

Not every team will get a bid, but at least at the ones I'm familiar with (Northeast & Pocono) most of the teams get bids.

The camp requirement is new, and yes they were over the summer.

I'm not familiar with Georgia, but UCA HS is very crowd based. You need an actual cheer (not the cheering over the music that I see some places) to score well.

Not every team will get a bid, but at least at the ones I'm familiar with (Northeast & Pocono) most of the teams get bids.

The camp requirement is new, and yes they were over the summer.

I'm not familiar with Georgia, but UCA HS is very crowd based. You need an actual cheer (not the cheering over the music that I see some places) to score well.
Thank you.

Thanks.
No set amount of bids are given. It is based on a score (usually in the 70's.) I've been to competitions where everyone in the division is good enough to get a bid and I've been to others where only 1 or 2 get bids. Basically if you're not the hot mess express and you hit / show promise, you'll get a bid.

No set amount of regionals, and not every state even has one. I don't even know the number in our state, I think there are 3? Not every competition is a national qualifier, meaning that the competition doesn't give bids to nationals. A list of competitions can be found on uca.varsity.com

New this year, you must attend summer camp to be eligible for nationals, but that doesn't mean you're automatically invited. You still have to earn a bid at a qualifying competition.

Music is a little different, in that it can't be longer than 1:30. The cheer portion has to be 1 min long. Voiceovers, etc are pretty similar, it's just the length that is different.

Georgia schools would have to switch up their format quite a bit. The cheer part would be the biggest change... instead of a short chant over music, they would need a minute long crowd leading cheer with props. Teaching a team to do a crowd leading type cheer WELL is a pretty big adjustment! GA teams put a lot of emphasis on tumbling that wouldn't be rewarded on the UCA score sheet. They also would need to bump up their elite stunt difficulty in order to do well in the tougher divisions. It could be done, but it would take some work!

Thanks.

Quite a bit would have to be re-choreographed. The amount spent on the tumbling sections would have to be changed to mainly group tumbling, also the UCA scoresheet is very stunt heavy. Like stated before the cheer section is very different for UCA than what it is in GA. I feel like (and this is just me) GA school would be more compatible with the NCA scoresheet. Yes you do still need a 1 minute long cheer but the emphasis on tumbling is a bit more than UCA's. Also you don't have to go to a NCA camp to qualify.

Back