High School Uca Nationals 2017

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know that Bluegrass Regionals will no doubt have plenty of top teams this year. I know that Greenup County is competing at the Miami Valley Regionals this weekend, however.
In Ohio? Why?
I don't know UCA high school too well. So I have some questions. How many bids are given out? Different for each state/regionals? How many regionals for each state? Are these required camps in summer? Is the music or mixes different from NCA nationals/Allstars? Like is there less voiceovers etc?

This for more Goergia Schools or other states that have a different routine layout than UCA format. How much needs to be re-choreographed for nationals.
Thanks.
ETA: more bid questions. How are they given out? Highest score of entire regional comp? Winning your division? Or many from each division?
Change the story cheer to a crowd leading cheer, more than just poms (GA teams can only use poms on the floor, and while UCA gives teams lots of freedom with prop use, the most effective cheers use at least two types). SLOW. IT. DOWN. You have to put the crowd in participant mode, not spectator mode.

Include more synchronized tumbling, as opposed to having, for example, 6 RO BHS tucks thrown on different counts; b/c of the crowd cheer, you have less room for a tumbling section and so throwing synchronized tumbling saves time and helps you max out on difficulty.

The stunt sequences should ideally be synchronized, so avoid complementary choreo between stunt groups unless you're in a pyramid. Ideal scenario would be a REALLY hard, clean elite partner stunt sequence, look at Hunterdon Central for great examples.

If we really want to get picky, add little UCA-ish bits; downward shoulder shrugs, downward claps, maybe a KY jog.

Be sure to end your routine in a pyramid, judges see dance endings as anti-climactic.

I might have forgotten some things, but those are good places to start.

In Ohio? Why?

Change the story cheer to a crowd leading cheer, more than just poms (GA teams can only use poms on the floor, and while UCA gives teams lots of freedom with prop use, the most effective cheers use at least two types). SLOW. IT. DOWN. You have to put the crowd in participant mode, not spectator mode.

Include more synchronized tumbling, as opposed to having, for example, 6 RO BHS tucks thrown on different counts; b/c of the crowd cheer, you have less room for a tumbling section and so throwing synchronized tumbling saves time and helps you max out on difficulty.

The stunt sequences should ideally be synchronized, so avoid complementary choreo between stunt groups unless you're in a pyramid. Ideal scenario would be a REALLY hard, clean elite partner stunt sequence, look at Hunterdon Central for great examples.

If we really want to get picky, add little UCA-ish bits; downward shoulder shrugs, downward claps, maybe a KY jog.

Be sure to end your routine in a pyramid, judges see dance endings as anti-climactic.

I might have forgotten some things, but those are good places to start.
@iwearmysunglassesatnight
Adding to this because I forgot about dance! GA teams usually have long, creative dances. UCA dances are typically 2 or 3 8-counts max. GA dances would need to be shortened to fit a UCA style routine, since spending that much time on a category worth so little points doesn't make sense.

@iwearmysunglassesatnight
Adding to this because I forgot about dance! GA teams usually have long, creative dances. UCA dances are typically 2 or 3 8-counts max. GA dances would need to be shortened to fit a UCA style routine, since spending that much time on a category worth so little points doesn't make sense.
I loathe the fact that 97% of UCA dances are cookie cutter, though. On the plus side, it makes it easier to stand out.

They cancelled the smoky mountain championship and moved it because of all the fires going on down there. Official announcement:

Those fires are scary, all of the smoke pics I'm seeing on Twitter taken by people really far away really show how bad it is... the only upside I can see to all of this is that some teams will have more time to prepare.

Can't believe it's so close. I'm really eager to see whether the new credentialing rules actually improve the caliber of teams showing up.

Back