High School Uca Nationals Vs Nca Nationals: Which Is The True Nationals For Scholastic Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I typically like NCA style more, but UCA seems to overall have more competitive teams if that makes any sense. I am not an expert on either high school or college cheer though, so this is a non - educated opinion.
I do wish these were the only 2 competitions that high school administrators would allow their schools to attend. We have a school in my area that travels to small, non - competitive "Nationals" run by All Star EPs with a high school division, often times competing against 1 or 2 other teams. They fundraise from the community to go and then make a huge deal when they win with articles in the newspaper, etc. To me, that is not a valid Nationals and it undermines the significance of other schools who go to UCA and NCA and may not win but were at a true National competition.

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."

UCA all day every day.....To me UCA Nationals is a "Worlds" for all levels. You are competing against the best at your level. As far as Non-tumbling and/or non-building, I think it is a huge difference to "novice" being that these categories only exist to include schools that do not allow tumbling and/or building for various reasons. There are states that are "non-building", it does not mean that they are not good, it is just illegal by state of School District therefore those squads are not allowed to do them; which to me is a difference of not being allowed to do something vs not doing something very well.
So, I love the fact of being the best of the best at your level; it makes that white jacket mean something more.

UCA all day every day.....To me UCA Nationals is a "Worlds" for all levels. You are competing against the best at your level. As far as Non-tumbling and/or non-building, I think it is a huge difference to "novice" being that these categories only exist to include schools that do not allow tumbling and/or building for various reasons. There are states that are "non-building", it does not mean that they are not good, it is just illegal by state of School District therefore those squads are not allowed to do them; which to me is a difference of not being allowed to do something vs not doing something very well.
So, I love the fact of being the best of the best at your level; it makes that white jacket mean something more.

Non building very understandable because I know it is restricted in some areas, for non-tumbling some teams with weak tumbling will take it out and compete in this division. I am not saying there is anything wrong with this but I don't think going home with a white jacket in a non-tumbling division is the same as in the standard divisions.

Non building very understandable because I know it is restricted in some areas, for non-tumbling some teams with weak tumbling will take it out and compete in this division. I am not saying there is anything wrong with this but I don't think going home with a white jacket in a non-tumbling division is the same as in the standard divisions.
I understand; however, I just see it as a way for those school districts where it is not allowed as still getting the opportunity to compete. and yes, there are schools that do take advantage of this and compete in this division; however, you see a clear distinction between the schools. For example, schools where it is illegal and usually very good at everything else, and thoes who do it because they do not have good tumbling, are usually the same (not very good) at anything, so their chances of walking away with a White Jacket is highly unlikely. So to it is still fair. Teams with okay tumbling and great stunting and everything else, usually compete in the right division......

I understand; however, I just see it as a way for those school districts where it is not allowed as still getting the opportunity to compete. and yes, there are schools that do take advantage of this and compete in this division; however, you see a clear distinction between the schools. For example, schools where it is illegal and usually very good at everything else, and thoes who do it because they do not have good tumbling, are usually the same (not very good) at anything, so their chances of walking away with a White Jacket is highly unlikely. So to it is still fair. Teams with okay tumbling and great stunting and everything else, usually compete in the right division......

Yes makes sense there is no way any of the top teams competing will drop to non-tumbling just to win. Most teams go to UCA to compete against the best. There are a few teams by me who will compete with tumbling at the local /state level then take it out for regionals and nationals. None of these teams have strong tumbling so it makes sense but it is situation where you can somewhat chose your level.

I typically like NCA style more, but UCA seems to overall have more competitive teams if that makes any sense. I am not an expert on either high school or college cheer though, so this is a non - educated opinion.
I do wish these were the only 2 competitions that high school administrators would allow their schools to attend. We have a school in my area that travels to small, non - competitive "Nationals" run by All Star EPs with a high school division, often times competing against 1 or 2 other teams. They fundraise from the community to go and then make a huge deal when they win with articles in the newspaper, etc. To me, that is not a valid Nationals and it undermines the significance of other schools who go to UCA and NCA and may not win but were at a true National competition.

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."
UGH, yes. And then outsiders get confused when they hear about the numerous Nationals, and aren't sure which ones are prestigious.

I agree with @cheernerd5678 and @Tosh, about NCA being like an all-levels kind of thing and UCA being more like "Worlds" of high school cheer. I think NCA is a good opportunity for schools that don't have crazy skills to still be competitive and go to a big competition. In some areas in the US, it can be really hard to grow a competitive high school program that could compete with the likes of Southwestern and Dunbar. Even after 20 years it may never happen for some high schools.
It's what @quitthedrama mentioned about the all star "nationals" that host a high school division where the winners make a bunch of noise about becoming a "national champion" when they competed against 2 other teams I have a problem with.
However, I prefer UCA for two main reasons. I can never understand any of the NCA cheers. I don't mind the story-telling style, but it tends to get so fast and the words get so muddled together I have no idea what they're yelling. Second, I do not understand how the score sheet works and I do not like it. For example: Redford high school, like 10 time NCA winners, had 13 people on their team this year, but only had two stunt groups (4 people each) for an elite section while the 5 other people just stood off to the side. Like what...? I get the difficulty their doing is super high, but I'd rather see the maximum amount of stunt groups and maybe less difficult stunts. And the use of front-spots are more abundant at NCA.

I agree with @cheernerd5678 and @Tosh, about NCA being like an all-levels kind of thing and UCA being more like "Worlds" of high school cheer. I think NCA is a good opportunity for schools that don't have crazy skills to still be competitive and go to a big competition. In some areas in the US, it can be really hard to grow a competitive high school program that could compete with the likes of Southwestern and Dunbar. Even after 20 years it may never happen for some high schools.
It's what @quitthedrama mentioned about the all star "nationals" that host a high school division where the winners make a bunch of noise about becoming a "national champion" when they competed against 2 other teams I have a problem with.

However, I prefer UCA for two main reasons. I can never understand any of the NCA cheers. I don't mind the story-telling style, but it tends to get so fast and the words get so muddled together I have no idea what they're yelling. Second, I do not understand how the score sheet works and I do not like it. For example: Redford high school, like 10 time NCA winners, had 13 people on their team this year, but only had two stunt groups (4 people each) for an elite section while the 5 other people just stood off to the side. Like what...? I get the difficulty their doing is super high, but I'd rather see the maximum amount of stunt groups and maybe less difficult stunts. And the use of front-spots are more abundant at NCA.
Definitely. I think it's great that TX high schools don't even have to leave the state to go to a good Nationals.

YES. It's especially weird when you see that their skill doesn't match that of advanced NCA or UCA teams. Puh-lease.

True. It throws me off when I see a team w/ beautiful, difficult tumbling and incredible showmanship... with front spots. Maybe the NCA scoresheet doesn't punish it as severely as the UCA one does.

Heck yesssss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nca nationals is definitely the original since UCA was a spin off of NCA. Jeff Webb used to be an NCA instructor.

I love both nationals for different reasons. UCA teams have great stunt technique and crowd leading skills. NCA teams put on a show while doing it. Every NCA champion who has gone to UCA always wins IE. Judson, Union, Benton and several others.

Nca nationals is definitely the original since UCA was a spin off of NCA. Jeff Webb used to be an NCA instructor.

I love both nationals for different reasons. UCA teams have great stunt technique and crowd leading skills. NCA teams put on a show while doing it. Every NCA champion who has gone to UCA always wins IE. Judson, Union, Benton and several others.

Just because NCA came first, doesn't necessarily mean that it was the first to make a National competition. This does make me curious to know who did the first high school, Allstar and college nationals

Just because NCA came first, doesn't necessarily mean that it was the first to make a National competition. This does make me curious to know who did the first high school, Allstar and college nationals
Based on what I'm seeing on the websites:
High School: NCA- 1982, UCA- 1980
All Star: NCA: 1989, UCA- 1995
College: can't find UCA but NCA was 1983

I'm team NCA, but that's just because that's the style I'm used to. Even though we weren't allowed to leave the state, my high school routines were similar. I definitely prefer NCA college style over UCA college, too.

Back