Uca/nca Camps

Discussion in 'High School Cheerleading' started by Atxmom, May 6, 2020.

1. Atxmom

Atxmom I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Does anyone have any info on how UCA or NCA will move forward with overnight camps?

2. CheerItFullOut

CheerItFullOut I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tucheer
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I think that’s dependent on your state. Here in CA our state directors/reps have us all in area group bands to keep us updated. You may want to contact your state director or rep to get the latest info.

3. cheerbowgirl101

cheerbowgirl101 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I’m itching to know too.

4. LittleMissA17

LittleMissA17 When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I'm more looking at what'll happen if people put deposits/paid for camp and they get cancelled.

5. CheerItFullOut

CheerItFullOut I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tucheer
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I believe they have stated that the money put toward deposits will 1. Either be refunded or 2. Be moved toward other expenses of your choice (later camp date, clinic, etc)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. cheerbowgirl101

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I’m also curious: will big V cancel ALL camps if they cancel the early ones? Or do you think they will hold out for August? I’m leaning toward they will want to milk out as much as they can and open up camps when they feel it will be accepted and people will attend.

7. coacha

coacha I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I think it's going to depend on location - what the individual states are allowing, and what the location is allowing. I know a lot of camps happen on college campuses, they're going to have to factor in what the college is allowing to happen on their property.

8. AScheer

AScheer Slow your roll, Sparkle. Worlds T-Shirt Designer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I have seen some colleges already announce online only fall classes, and canceled homecomings. Meanwhile the one near me has been posting on social media for a couple of weeks now that they WILL be back on campus come fall. Doesn't appear that any near me plan to have summer classes on campus though, so I don't know if they would hold camps if faculty and students aren't even coming in.

9. CoachTamara

CoachTamara Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    The college campuses have cancelled the camps, it’s not the company making that decision at this point.

10. Atxmom

Atxmom I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Have you heard anything about camps at hotels or resorts? The one we usually go to is at resort, I’m still hoping the district will say no to it.

11. cheerbowgirl101

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Got word today that we are not going. Very sad, but for the best.

12. Atxmom

Atxmom I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    We just found out that we are going to camp. How are they supposed to social distance with 6 per room?

13. Elle B

Elle B I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
  14. SparkleSpankies

SparkleSpankies I think I can mix Cheer Music

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I am still being hopeful for nationals, but if it can happen, they need to waive the camp requirement... we are all on different schedules this season already, some allowed to practice, some not for several weeks at minimum. I just think that if we are lucky enough to have an NHSCC the camp requirement needs to be reviewed for this year.

I know there are some options, but once we are allowed back, it is going to be on the state and school districts schedule.. it's sometimes not as simple and doing a "Weekend home camp" and getting several hours. I do understand there is a virtual option, but again, we are limited to how many hours at a time we can practice, this is not always simple.

15. cheerbowgirl101

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I am not-so-cautiously optimistic for nationals happening. February just seems so far away, and with the US population so antsy- despite the rising numbers in many states- it is probable to me that it will happen. Maybe I am letting my own excitement get to me. I know if COVID numbers are high in Florida in the months before nationals, it’s just not going to happen(last minute cancellation like UCA All Star most likely).

However, waiving the camp requirement is not something I’m optimistic about. This is Big V we’re talking about. Let’s not pretend they’re not what they are.