Unallowed/secret Practices?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 26, 2013
So sideline cheerleading is starting for my high school. Other schools have already started their teams and practices, and we don't want to fall behind. Our athletic director won't let us start our tryouts, because none of our other sports have, but the other sports have started their conditioning. A senior and I want to start conditioning with the girls who want to try out, but our coach is out of contact. If it's not at school grounds, like the park, and it's only conditioning, is it okay? Is there a chance of getting our coach in serious trouble?

I doubt it. I mean, as long as its not "mandatory" you could just tell your team that'd you'd like them to be there so you guys can get in shape for the season and stuff, but without your coach you can't technically say it's mandatory. If your athletic director does get mad, Which I don't think he/she would simply because you have the right to go condition at the park and so do your teammates. The only problem I see is I think you might have a hard time getting girls to go if it's not mandatory or an actual practice with a coach. Good job on trying to be a leader and condition though! Are you captain? If not, you should! ;)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I doubt it. I mean, as long as its not "mandatory" you could just tell your team that'd you'd like them to be there so you guys can get in shape for the season and stuff, but without your coach you can't technically say it's mandatory. If your athletic director does get mad, Which I don't think he/she would simply because you have the right to go condition at the park and so do your teammates. The only problem I see is I think you might have a hard time getting girls to go if it's not mandatory or an actual practice with a coach. Good job on trying to be a leader and condition though! Are you captain? If not, you should! ;)

Thanks! And I'm hoping to be a captain this year, a senior and I have been getting together with some girls to practice stunting, and we even convinced some guys to try out. I think we have enough of a connection with the incoming freshmen to get them to come regularly (hopefully!).

Thanks! And I'm hoping to be a captain this year, a senior and I have been getting together with some girls to practice stunting, and we even convinced some guys to try out. I think we have enough of a connection with the incoming freshmen to get them to come regularly (hopefully!).

Well that's good! I wish I had girls like you on my team. As much as I hate conditioning in the summer, it gets better and it works!! You have to be dedicated!!

Well that's good! I wish I had girls like you on my team. As much as I hate conditioning in the summer, it gets better and it works!! You have to be dedicated!!

Well thanks! And yeah that's right, we didn't do so good last year and are hoping to make states in competitive this year, so us upperclassmen are trying to get our young team motivated as early as possible :)

Check with your athletic director. They can give you the rules of what you can/can't do. Don't risk it until you know YOUR school's rules.

Instead of holding "secret practices" as no one has for sure made a team yet, why not just hold "get in shape for tryouts" conditioning times at the nearby park. As long as it is informal, open to everyone who wants to go (not just the kids that think they are going to make the team), & not on school property then the school can't really regulate it......it's just a group of kids getting together at the park to try and encourage each other to be more fit for tryouts. That being said, I would stick to conditioning and jumps, because if someone got injured stunting or tumbling, parents would not be happy and probably complain to the school/coach even though it was not an official practice or on school property (they would just associate it with the cheer program however). Be clear that it is not mandatory for tryouts & everyone that is interested in trying out is welcome: a.k.a this is not a practice with who we think will make the team, this is just for anyone that wants to join us for getting more fit

My team has the same issue, but we are luckily in contact with our coach and we do conditioning in the school gym. Since it isn't mandatory and we're not allowed to practice, it's hard getting girls to show up. It's so exciting you got boys to join! This is the first year ever my team got boys to join and we are so excited! But as far as getting girls to come, just try motivating them and remind them that it will be easier down the line if you practice and put in the hard work now instead of waiting until a week before football season. (That happened to my team last year, it's not fun!)

My team has the same issue, but we are luckily in contact with our coach and we do conditioning in the school gym. Since it isn't mandatory and we're not allowed to practice, it's hard getting girls to show up. It's so exciting you got boys to join! This is the first year ever my team got boys to join and we are so excited! But as far as getting girls to come, just try motivating them and remind them that it will be easier down the line if you practice and put in the hard work now instead of waiting until a week before football season. (That happened to my team last year, it's not fun!)

Great advice. We had our first practice, and we had a good number show up. Now we need to get the freshmen to actually try when conditioning!

Great advice. We had our first practice, and we had a good number show up. Now we need to get the freshmen to actually try when conditioning!

That's awesome! Just try to remind them they need to work to, and in order to get good they have to practice, practice, practice.

So sideline cheerleading is starting for my high school. Other schools have already started their teams and practices, and we don't want to fall behind. Our athletic director won't let us start our tryouts, because none of our other sports have, but the other sports have started their conditioning. A senior and I want to start conditioning with the girls who want to try out, but our coach is out of contact. If it's not at school grounds, like the park, and it's only conditioning, is it okay? Is there a chance of getting our coach in serious trouble?
Its just another way to factor our the parents and more importantly push the "kids" harder.

Back