Uncomfortable With Potential Photographer.

Discussion in 'Random' started by Mer_bear20, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Mer_bear20

Mer_bear20 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    So every year the seniors on my high school cheer team get there portraits taken, its basically like senior pictures where you go to different locations, but basically just cheer related. Well this year the individual that will be doing our photos is a family friend of one of the team moms, sounds promising right? Well I decided I wanted to look her up online and see her work,as most people would probably like to do. Well I end up finding way more than her business site that displays what she has done. Her personal social media accounts popped up and it displays nothing but racism, transphobia, and homophobia. I am the at person I cant stand showing support for a business that displays such hatred, and what makes it so sad is that she is not even trying to hide it. My parents both agree with me, and said what she says and posts online basically does not look good for her or her business. Well my parents and I end up talking to the team mom that picked out the photographer and my cheer coach, and basically the team mom told us she doesnt see the issue with someone being racist, trans/homophobic because that's their opinions and rights to be(which I mean sadly it is true.)

Now I had thought was the only one who looked this lady up, well it turns out a few of the other parents whose daughters I cheer with end up doing the same and they had the same reaction and feelings about it.

So now its basically we get the pictures taken(they are mandatory) or we are kicked off the team for refusal of doing a mandatory activiry.activity.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. lifeoftheparty

lifeoftheparty When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    My daughter would be kicked off the team.

3. Eyes On The Prize

Eyes On The Prize Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    YUCK. The response from the team mom makes me think she holds the same views but is more private about them.

Can you elevate this to the school board? I am sureeeee they'd just love to align themselves and their students to a business like that with "mandatory school activities". Sounds like something they should would want a say in since they're going to be the ones with the PR nightmare if the situation got escalated and went public.

Also, kicking students off a team for standing up against discrimination sounds like another potential PR nightmare that they don't want to deal with either. Your school board probably has monthly public meetings/hearings. It might be helpful if the group of parents go to one of these meetings and bring up the situation in a public, recorded setting. The people higher up might not even be aware of the situation. Of course, I would tell the coach what the plan is and see if she backs down first. If not, then escalate.

4. Mer_bear20

Mer_bear20 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    That's what the parents are planning on doing....and trust me when I say this the school board will not be happy. The coach( who I'm honestly not a fan of ) was basically like its whatever...and went on to say we are being overly sensitive. Trust me the daughter of the team has basically confirmed that they are closest racists and homo/transphobic. The reason I say that is because she made the comment in text that she does not see the issue about what the photographer and her mama said, because it's their right to have those opinions.

5. Mer_bear20

Mer_bear20 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete

6. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer Somewhere... some one.... is giving me a slow clap

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Sure it’s her right to have those opinions, but it’s your right to decide who you’re comfortable giving your money to. Strictly speaking, the photog’s views don’t affect your cheer photos. But that doesn’t mean you’re obligated to support a racist. People boycott big businesses all the time because of the owners’ on-record personal views (Chick Fil A comes to mind). Why not small businesses?

So let her post all that garbage if that makes her feel good. It just lets the rest of the world know she’s an awful person who should not be promoted or employed in any way.

7. Mer_bear20

Mer_bear20 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I just wanted to give an update and on this situation. Our school would not allow the chosen photographer to toe our photos, as I attend a very diverse school and they didn’t feel that someone with such beliefs and views should photograph students in which some of them fit the mold of what she does like or believe in. Our cheerleading coach ended up losing her job, because in the end she showed us her true colors and what type of person she truly is. The photographer involved has had her name tarnished (for other reasons not related to this, but sadly it was race related.) I am very happy that my school did the right thing and handled this very well and did not let racism and homophobia win.

• Like Like x 4
    • Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • List
  8. Mer_bear20

Mer_bear20 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Wow, so the photographer involved in this just made a horrible Facebook post and it is really not making her look like the victim she is trying to proclaim herself as.

I hope the post is fake but I’m not even sure at this point.

9. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Is it about the Saugus shooting?

10. Mer_bear20

Mer_bear20 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    no..it pertains to what this thread conversation is about.

11. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Oh I see. I only ask because there are a lot of trolls on the internet today posting about it and using it to justify their racism and bigotry.

12. Mer_bear20

Mer_bear20 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete

No this person is mad because we basically “ruined” her photography business. The reason is because most of the girls on my cheer team and the parents questioned some of the stuff the photographer posted on her Facebook account. Long story short she pretty much threatened us, said that she doesn’t care that it was spoiled rich teenagers who ruined her life and that she will beat us all up because it’s her right as a white American to be racist and homophobic, because according to her that how white Americans are supposed to be.

Once I figure out how to post screenshots I will post a picture of the screenshot I took of the status. But please be mindful that the language is horrific in the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I’m glad your school did the right thing. It would’ve been easy for them to say, “Oh she’s just expressing her personal beliefs on her own FB page... we can’t do anything about it.” Because they easily could have since she does have a right to post whatever she wants.

BUT you guys have a right to decide if you want to support a person who says these things. And if she posts these things publicly, it’s fair game. I’m so glad things worked out and that she’s being taught that her actions won’t be tolerated. Good for you guys.