All-Star "unintentional" Legality

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Were you at Jamfest this weekend?
Jamfest doesnt take deductions for legalities if they are caused by performance errors.

For example. F5 on day 2 had a girl do a free flip (which would be a level 6 skill) because there was a mishap and the person who braced her wasnt there. At most competitions this would have been detrimental, however at Jamfest they didn't get a deduction and were only penalized for things that actually fell. Which is the reason they were able to place 2nd.

On a side note, i just went to nca's website and its redesigned and ugly.

Yeah we were. I might be mistaken but that's what I was informed of by some of the girls on the team haha.

Here's my thoughts...

Although I totally understand what everyone is saying about "performance" error, I disagree. There are rules and if you break them, that should be a penalty, regardless of it being intentional or not.

When adding certain difficulty aspects to a routine, as a coach, you have to weigh the risk vs reward. Part of the risk is the skill maintaining it's legal state.

I've told my girls that if there is no connection, they are NOT to throw the trick. Instead, I've taught them where to catch up so as not to risk the penalty. Some event producers/judges will give it, some will not and that's just another thing that I feel needs to be consistent across the EP's and judges.

Were you at Jamfest this weekend?
Jamfest doesnt take deductions for legalities if they are caused by performance errors.

For example. F5 on day 2 had a girl do a free flip (which would be a level 6 skill) because there was a mishap and the person who braced her wasnt there. At most competitions this would have been detrimental, however at Jamfest they didn't get a deduction and were only penalized for things that actually fell. Which is the reason they were able to place 2nd.

On a side note, i just went to nca's website and its redesigned and ugly.

Jamfest absolutely does give deductions for legalities that are caused by performance errors because it happened to my CP's team twice this season, back in October and this past weekend at Super Nationals. They give a .25 deduction for unintentional legalities (caused by execution or performance errors) and a .50 deduction for intentional legalities. My CP's mini 1 team had two unintentional legality deductions caused by physical errors in their pyramid where bobbles caused them to break the required contact, and the total of .50 in deductions was enough to drop them from 6th to 10th place on Saturday.

i think that accidents happen, and an accident shouldn't completely ruin a teams score. however, there should be a deduction.

and then, there are teams who throw things that are illegal and it is obvious that it is choreographed that way. when this is the case, a team should be disqualified and told the reason for their disqualification.

I think the big thing here is that there is a REASON why these skills are illegal- for the SAFETY of the athletes. If the bracing stunt doesn't make it there in time, does that make it "safe"? No. It's actually more dangerous than if the team had planned and practiced the illegal skill, because they haven't practiced it properly and safely.

I'm still trying to figure out why they fell... did something cause it or was it just a freak accident?

I'm still trying to figure out why they fell... did something cause it or was it just a freak accident?

if you watch closely you can see the base in the prep trip over one of the other bases foot and she fell causing the prep to fall.

Here's my thoughts...

Although I totally understand what everyone is saying about "performance" error, I disagree. There are rules and if you break them, that should be a penalty, regardless of it being intentional or not.

When adding certain difficulty aspects to a routine, as a coach, you have to weigh the risk vs reward. Part of the risk is the skill maintaining it's legal state.

I've told my girls that if there is no connection, they are NOT to throw the trick. Instead, I've taught them where to catch up so as not to risk the penalty. Some event producers/judges will give it, some will not and that's just another thing that I feel needs to be consistent across the EP's and judges.
i agree with you i feel that there needs to be deductions for legality now my question when an illegal stunt is performed intentionally can anyone please tell me why a team wouldnt be deducted for it i do know that some companies give a warning but is that fair to the teams playing by the rules and if so and you get a warning and compete the same skill again at the same event producers even why would it not be deducted again i just feel something needs to be in place to make sure this doesnt happen

A. every coach should teach (especially in pyramids) when something falls or a brace is disconnected NOT to perform the skill if it will be illegal... We teach that all the way down to level 1 and minis... Even in practice, they know NOT to go if it will be illegal... you gotta be prepared for the worst!
B. butttt, mistakes happen anyway, so yes performance error rather than intentional legality deduction, but there definitely needs to be some penalty

Here are 2 different things on Jamfest's deduction sheet.

"In a situation where one side of a pyramid executes a portion of the pyramid illegally while the other side performs
it legally, and/or an instance where one team member or stunt group unintentionally executes a skill in a
higher level while the other team members or stunt groups perform the skill legally, then a .1 deduction will be
taken. It must be evident to the safety judge that the routine was choreographed legally."

A “performance error” is defined as when participants start and hit a skill legally, and then due to an
unforeseen issue, the skill becomes illegal. Example: In a pyramid, a skill is started and hit legally, but a connection
becomes broken, thus causing the pyramid to become illegal. This would be classified as a “performance error”
and no legality deduction will be taken. However, a bobble, fall or fall to the floor deduction may be taken
depending on the circumstances of the situation.

So i take the difference between the 2 as if one side of the pyramid does a braced flip and the other side free lips that is an unintentional legality. However if you are braced and then detach that is a performance error? Thats a fine line.

Back