High School Universal Competition Routine Format For Hs Cheer Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Which format do you feel is best?

• Total voters
That's indicative of the problems within our society. One of the best lessons kids can learn from high school cheer is that their primary duty is to serve and support the school and its other athletic teams. There's nothing wrong with learning a little humility and servant leadership. Instead, people want to change the rules and the nature of the work in order to put themselves in the spotlight.
I can't shimmy this enough

That's indicative of the problems within our society. One of the best lessons kids can learn from high school cheer is that their primary duty is to serve and support the school and its other athletic teams. There's nothing wrong with learning a little humility and servant leadership. Instead, people want to change the rules and the nature of the work in order to put themselves in the spotlight.

I think that there is balance to be had between supporting school and competing.

Varsity cheers for football and basketball but I can tell you there are kids on my team who like cheering at games (and do it well), but primarily tried out to compete. If my program were sideline only, I think the tryout numbers would look drastically different.

I won't say that I think cheering for sports is sexist. However, I draw the line at certain things that I think are beyond cheering for sports and turning the corner into "football booster club" territory. Ex: There are programs out there requiring cheerleaders to purchase snack items to hand out in goodie bags for football players and spending more time making football crafts than actually working on looking good on the sideline. I don't find that to be a good use of my kid's time. I can't think of any kid I coach who would find that to be enjoyable. (Yes, those things are fine in moderation of course! I also have kids who will CHOOSE to do those things for their boyfriends and such, but I don't see myself ever requiring it.)

I think that there is balance to be had between supporting school and competing.

Varsity cheers for football and basketball but I can tell you there are kids on my team who like cheering at games (and do it well), but primarily tried out to compete. If my program were sideline only, I think the tryout numbers would look drastically different.

I won't say that I think cheering for sports is sexist. However, I draw the line at certain things that I think are beyond cheering for sports and turning the corner into "football booster club" territory. Ex: There are programs out there requiring cheerleaders to purchase snack items to hand out in goodie bags for football players and spending more time making football crafts than actually working on looking good on the sideline. I don't find that to be a good use of my kid's time. I can't think of any kid I coach who would find that to be enjoyable. (Yes, those things are fine in moderation of course! I also have kids who will CHOOSE to do those things for their boyfriends and such, but I don't see myself ever requiring it.)
And dealing with complaints from ungrateful players and their parents. Like, if it means that much to you, make stuff for your own kids. I don't understand people like that.

That's one of my biggest problems with it. However, if the teams that use story cheers are required to use a format like this, it could help nudge them into UCA-style routines.

I remember reading somewhere that GA high school teams used to do UCA routines, but people complained that the crowd leading cheer killed the momentum and didn't look enough like an all star routine. Ridiculous! It's supposed to be high school cheer. A format like the one I described could nudge teams like those in Georgia back in the right direction.
I don't hate the Georgia routine format though. They aren't story cheers. They're more like old school allstar - 2 eight counts of a chant.

Yea, we don't do that garbage either.

Our cheerleaders give the football players a treat on game days, but it is paid for by the football boosters.

The basketball teams don't get much because their boosters don't pay for it.

I don't have a problem with making signs and treat bags as long as I don't have to pay for it !

I've mentioned before but we turned decorating into a fundraiser. Football only, too many basketball games! A group of parents take care of the ordering process, getting decorations together, and record keeping. They hand a folder to me once a week with locker numbers and decorations sorted and ready to go. I send a group of girls off with the folder and tape after practice once a week while the others roll up mats. Turned into a good profit for us with minimal work. They pay by the game or with a season pass for all games.

I like this idea, but we don't have lockers at our high school - bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've mentioned before but we turned decorating into a fundraiser. Football only, too many basketball games! A group of parents take care of the ordering process, getting decorations together, and record keeping. They hand a folder to me once a week with locker numbers and decorations sorted and ready to go. I send a group of girls off with the folder and tape after practice once a week while the others roll up mats. Turned into a good profit for us with minimal work. They pay by the game or with a season pass for all games.
Thanks for mentioning this, I forgot you had told us about it in another thread. When I start coaching I definitely plan on using this as a fundraiser.

Where do the students keep everything?!

Very heavy backpacks. Their textbooks are all available online, and if you need an actual copy of the book you can check one out from the school library. At some point, all the students will have school district owned iPads or Surface tablets, or something like that, that they will be able to use instead of carrying so many different notebooks and folders. Until then - super heavy backpacks.

Very heavy backpacks. Their textbooks are all available online, and if you need an actual copy of the book you can check one out from the school library. At some point, all the students will have school district owned iPads or Surface tablets, or something like that, that they will be able to use instead of carrying so many different notebooks and folders. Until then - super heavy backpacks.

That's terrible!!

We have online textbooks too, but we use our notepads for writing things down. I am the type of person to have a lot of things for school, and my locker is often pretty full. How do the students who walk home cope? And also, is there any reason why they don't have lockers? Sorry if I'm being annoying but I've never heard of a school not having lockers.

That's terrible!!
My high school had lockers, but they were on the first floor when 95% of everyone's classes were on the 2nd or 3rd floors. With only 5 minutes between classes, there wasn't enough time to go back and forth so nobody ever used them. Textbooks weren't online when I was in high school and definitely not the whole renting/giving out laptops/ipads that seems to be popular these days either so we just had to carry everything around. Thankfully we only had 4 classes per day so it usually wasn't too much at once. I never really thought anything of it back then as it seemed to be the norm at most of the schools in my area.

Back