All-Star Usa Cheer New Music Rules..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2015
CheerUpdates just tweeted this:

"The end of cheerleading music as you know it. Effective May 16, 2016. http://usacheer.net/aspnet_client/FreeTextBox/upload/documents/Music/USA-Cheer-Music-Initiative.pdf"

The USA Cheer statement says "Effective May 15, 2016, all routine music may only be covers of popular songs or original compositions. In order to edit and mix this music, a license from the copyright owner must be obtained."

Thoughts? And since it's not USASF will it still affect everyone?

Wait, what's the difference between USASF and USA Cheer? Does USA cheer encompass college/school cheer as well?

I think it is what it is... And as a company (Varsity) is liable for copyright infringement. I heard about this last week actually...
I tell my kids all the time, we can complain about something or we can deal with it and move on with positivity. (takes the same amount of energy) I will say IMO there are so many sound effects and and voice overs these days... Music is kind of getting lost in the noise anyway... But I can see where some people would be genuinely irritated. I go back to point A. It is what is... Takes the same amount of energy to be bummed about it as it does to carry on.

My sister danced for our high school and the ESPN coverage for her UDA Nationals had non copyrighted music dubbed over the original music. We found this forum/board where people were posting about it and I was waiting for it to make its way to fierce board. Heres a link to that specific thread if anyone is interested to see what they all had to say (they're furious, as they should be dance heavily relies on music maybe a little more than cheer).. there's some good information about it.

Yahoo! Groups (if you click the arrows next to where it says 51 more messages it will expand the thread)

I know this is dance, but it's clearly moved its way to cheer too so I figured I would share incase anyone wanted to check it out!

So now just a lot of covers done by mixers (sung by the people who do their VOs and "raps")....basically 1/2 of the mixes nowadays are already like that. Everyone saw it coming.

My question is: Are teams going to have to get their music re-done NOW, or can it wait until next season? (I didn't read the article so sorry if it's answered in there.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw this coming from a mile away, just wasn't sure when.

I'm actually not sure how cheer music as we know it stayed "legal" for so long.
I agree... I always wondered, aren't people getting mad for their music getting all mashed up?!
So now just a lot of covers done by mixers (sung by the people who do their VOs and "raps")....basically 1/2 of the mixes nowadays are already like that. Everyone saw it coming.

My question is: Are teams going to have to get their music re-done NOW, or can it wait until next season? (I didn't read the article so sorry if it's answered in there.)
From what I understand... The rule will go into this upcoming comp season 2016/17

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like most event producers were aware and preparing for this. But I fully expect there to be a price increase now for custom music across the board.

It might not raise prices that much for the top producers who are already heavily customed, but for a lot of gyms, only the worlds team pay JR prices for music. It's definiely going to raise the floor on music prices as cheaper producers have to either starting paying licenses or pay for a ton of custom voiceovers/singing.

Shoot, someone would start their own company selling covers of popular songs to music producers.

Back