High School Usa Nationals 2017

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 18, 2016
I know that UCA and NCA are the more intense High School Nationals that exist for cheer, but USA Nationals in Anaheim, California released their schedule today and I saw a few Fierceboard-familiar school names so I figured I'd make a thread for it. How's everyone else holding up?

I know that UCA and NCA are the more intense High School Nationals that exist for cheer, but USA Nationals in Anaheim, California released their schedule today and I saw a few Fierceboard-familiar school names so I figured I'd make a thread for it. How's everyone else holding up?

What rules do USA nationals use?

What rules do USA nationals use?

1 min cheer, 1:30 music portion, doesn't matter the order. Divisions are based on size and skill level - I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it breaks down as follows.

Size:

Small - 12 and under
Medium 13-16
Large 17-20
Super 21+

Skill Level:
Novice - nothing more than a single backhandspring for standing tumbling, no more than backhandspring series for running, all extended stunts are two feet, no more than 180 twists permitted into stunts, and any single leg stunt is at prep level unless braced, no twisting cradles, no basket tosses, no inverted pyramids.
Intermediate - standing tumbling limited to backhandspring series, running tumbling limited to tucks or below, extended libs are permitted, you may only twist cradle from two feet, all single-leg body positions (arabesque, heel stretch, etc.) must be pulled at prep level, basket tosses are limited to one skill (toe touch, single twist, just a kick), basic inversions permitted.
Advanced - all skills legal by NFHS standards are legal at advanced
Non-Tumbling - follows Advanced level stunting with absolutely no tumbling (not even rolls)

I may be missing some things but that's the general gist of it. The inclusion of divisions is nice because a school like mine, which is new and not advanced level yet, has their own little niche in Intermediate. It kind of sucks when teams who are state champions choose to compete at a lower level so they're guaranteed a win, but just as with any system there are some flaws. Still a huge fan.

ETA: Tumbling requirements

Last edited:
Yup! What time are you?

We are Saturday at 2:27 pm - very nervous about this year because about half of our team are freshmen and have never competed on such a large scale before. Hoping they don't get too jittery! How're you and your kids feeling?

We are Saturday at 2:27 pm - very nervous about this year because about half of our team are freshmen and have never competed on such a large scale before. Hoping they don't get too jittery! How're you and your kids feeling?
I feel focused, we essentially do two "style" routines UCA/USA so it's a little stressful but kids seem to be doing alright with modifications and are excited to attend! Funny-My younger ones are the dialed ones... my older ones tend to get more nervous -lol

We have one of our teams going. Super Varsity Intermediate. This is a younger team, not the one we took to UCA Nationals. They are doing better each day, but still young! We shall see! Hope they can pull it off! Good luck to all going!

P.S. I'm sure your kids will be fabulous ;)

Sorry for the double post... but I love the convention center... the close proximity to everything there with Disneyland...I always find USA Staff so friendly

P.S. I'm sure your kids will be fabulous ;)

I have quite a bit of faith in them. I'll bet your kids look amazing as well - I was so impressed with their routine at UCA!

Sorry for the double post... but I love the convention center... the close proximity to everything there with Disneyland...I always find USA Staff so friendly

Cannot shimmy this enough! It's soooo convenient and you can literally go to Disneyland in between competing and awards if you have more than an hour or two to spare. Plus, there's so many hotels and if you don't feel like walking, there's shuttles literally everywhere. Everything is very well run and smooth - I've yet to have a bad experience with it.

Couple of questions about USA nationals, I know it's across the street from Disneyland, so is it similar to how UCA/Disneyworld works where you stay at the resort and get to go to Disney, or is it just conveniently located near Disney in case you want to go?

How big is it? Compared to NCA and UCA? Would it feel like nationals for my athletes?

People that have gone, do you like it? Have you gone to both? How did it stack up to UCA and NCA?

How does it's scoresheet compare to UCA and NCA? Like UCA wants little tumbling and wants it in groups, and there's no dance, etc while NCA has a dance and jumps and gives more credit to tumbling.

How do you get a bid?

Sorry I hadn't ever heard of it but I'm really interested in possible going instead of UCA!

1 min cheer, 1:30 music portion, doesn't matter the order. Divisions are based on size and skill level - I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it breaks down as follows.

Size:

Small - 12 and under
Medium 13-16
Large 17-20
Super 21+

Skill Level:
Novice - nothing more than a single backhandspring for standing tumbling, no more than backhandspring series for running, all extended stunts are two feet, no more than 180 twists permitted into stunts, and any single leg stunt is at prep level unless braced, no twisting cradles, no basket tosses, no inverted pyramids.
Intermediate - standing tumbling limited to backhandspring series, running tumbling limited to tucks or below, extended libs are permitted, you may only twist cradle from two feet, all single-leg body positions (arabesque, heel stretch, etc.) must be pulled at prep level, basket tosses are limited to one skill (toe touch, single twist, just a kick), basic inversions permitted.
Advanced - all skills legal by NFHS standards are legal at advanced
Non-Tumbling - follows Advanced level stunting with absolutely no tumbling (not even rolls)

I may be missing some things but that's the general gist of it. The inclusion of divisions is nice because a school like mine, which is new and not advanced level yet, has their own little niche in Intermediate. It kind of sucks when teams who are state champions choose to compete at a lower level so they're guaranteed a win, but just as with any system there are some flaws. Still a huge fan.

ETA: Tumbling requirements

Thank you for this! I'm looking up the rules right now :)

Couple of questions about USA nationals, I know it's across the street from Disneyland, so is it similar to how UCA/Disneyworld works where you stay at the resort and get to go to Disney, or is it just conveniently located near Disney in case you want to go?

How big is it? Compared to NCA and UCA? Would it feel like nationals for my athletes?

People that have gone, do you like it? Have you gone to both? How did it stack up to UCA and NCA?

How does it's scoresheet compare to UCA and NCA? Like UCA wants little tumbling and wants it in groups, and there's no dance, etc while NCA has a dance and jumps and gives more credit to tumbling.

How do you get a bid?

Sorry I hadn't ever heard of it but I'm really interested in possible going instead of UCA!

I love USA Nationals so I'll answer as best as I can on all of these!

1. Most teams don't stay at the Disney resorts and instead stay at hotels closer to the convention center (Hilton, Sheraton, Marriot, etc.). However, the walk to the Disneyland entrance from those hotels is half a mile max, so it's not huge deal staying "off property". I know my team personally is staying about a mile south of Disneyland and is planning on utilizing the shuttle system for the weekend. However, the event does sell Park tickets and I've never seen a team go to USA Nationals and not buy tickets to Disney haha. It's pretty much part of the experience!

2. It's decently big! My team is in Medium Intermediate Varsity Show Cheer and are against 27 teams last I checked. It is small enough to have pom and show cheer the same weekend though. Pom and select Show Cheer divisions go Friday, the rest of show cheer goes Saturday. Everyone I talk to in AZ fondly refers to it as "West Coast Nationals" because it's predominantly teams from this side of the country, though a few east coast teams will make the flight out. The skill level in the advanced division is still impressive (El Dorado, Cactus Shadows, etc.), but nowhere near the caliber of UCA. Probably closer to NCA, though the divisions are split differently.

3. A few teams out here do UCA and USA, and generally speaking they tend to prefer USA. It's very well run and generally a pleasant experience. I also enjoy that College Championships are at the same time (wayyyyy smaller than any College Nationals, but still a great time) so the girls can go talk to College coaches and watch the teams compete.

4. Much more similar to NCA than UCA, but still different. Heavy focus on the execution and lesser on the difficulty. The scoresheet is here: http://usa.s3.varsity.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Files/Competitions/Spirit/ScoreSheets/16-17_ShowCheer.pdf

5. You have to score a 75 or higher at a USA Regional event to qualify. Pretty easy to do, so it's not the most prestigious event. But it's a great time regardless, probably my second favorite competition I've ever attended behind NCA College Nationals. For us it's much cheaper to attend than any other National event since we can rent a bus and drive, and we actually have a shot at making finals with the way the divisions are set up, which is great.

It really depends on your team and what style they're better suited for/where your team is located/what you're looking for in a Nationals experience. If you have any more questions I'm happy to answer them. I'm sure @CheerItFullOut can also weigh in on the experiences of Tulare at this event, as they may be differnt than mine.

Back