High School Usa Nationals 2017

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I love USA Nationals so I'll answer as best as I can on all of these!

1. Most teams don't stay at the Disney resorts and instead stay at hotels closer to the convention center (Hilton, Sheraton, Marriot, etc.). However, the walk to the Disneyland entrance from those hotels is half a mile max, so it's not huge deal staying "off property". I know my team personally is staying about a mile south of Disneyland and is planning on utilizing the shuttle system for the weekend. However, the event does sell Park tickets and I've never seen a team go to USA Nationals and not buy tickets to Disney haha. It's pretty much part of the experience!

2. It's decently big! My team is in Medium Intermediate Varsity Show Cheer and are against 27 teams last I checked. It is small enough to have pom and show cheer the same weekend though. Pom and select Show Cheer divisions go Friday, the rest of show cheer goes Saturday. Everyone I talk to in AZ fondly refers to it as "West Coast Nationals" because it's predominantly teams from this side of the country, though a few east coast teams will make the flight out. The skill level in the advanced division is still impressive (El Dorado, Cactus Shadows, etc.), but nowhere near the caliber of UCA. Probably closer to NCA, though the divisions are split differently.

3. A few teams out here do UCA and USA, and generally speaking they tend to prefer USA. It's very well run and generally a pleasant experience. I also enjoy that College Championships are at the same time (wayyyyy smaller than any College Nationals, but still a great time) so the girls can go talk to College coaches and watch the teams compete.

4. Much more similar to NCA than UCA, but still different. Heavy focus on the execution and lesser on the difficulty. The scoresheet is here: http://usa.s3.varsity.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Files/Competitions/Spirit/ScoreSheets/16-17_ShowCheer.pdf

5. You have to score a 75 or higher at a USA Regional event to qualify. Pretty easy to do, so it's not the most prestigious event. But it's a great time regardless, probably my second favorite competition I've ever attended behind NCA College Nationals. For us it's much cheaper to attend than any other National event since we can rent a bus and drive, and we actually have a shot at making finals with the way the divisions are set up, which is great.

It really depends on your team and what style they're better suited for/where your team is located/what you're looking for in a Nationals experience. If you have any more questions I'm happy to answer them. I'm sure @CheerItFullOut can also weigh in on the experiences of Tulare at this event, as they may be differnt than mine.

Thank you! This is all great info! I really think this may be the best choice for my school as our first nationals (plus UCA is crazy far from us here in colorado and Dallas wouldn't be as much fun as Disney Land!). One last question and Ill be done I swear ;) I don't plan to win by any means, but do the winners get rings? It's not a huge deal either way but I don't want to make "the work is worth it" posters with rings on them or anything and then have them find out they don't get them if they win :D:D

I love USA Nationals so I'll answer as best as I can on all of these!

1. Most teams don't stay at the Disney resorts and instead stay at hotels closer to the convention center (Hilton, Sheraton, Marriot, etc.). However, the walk to the Disneyland entrance from those hotels is half a mile max, so it's not huge deal staying "off property". I know my team personally is staying about a mile south of Disneyland and is planning on utilizing the shuttle system for the weekend. However, the event does sell Park tickets and I've never seen a team go to USA Nationals and not buy tickets to Disney haha. It's pretty much part of the experience!

2. It's decently big! My team is in Medium Intermediate Varsity Show Cheer and are against 27 teams last I checked. It is small enough to have pom and show cheer the same weekend though. Pom and select Show Cheer divisions go Friday, the rest of show cheer goes Saturday. Everyone I talk to in AZ fondly refers to it as "West Coast Nationals" because it's predominantly teams from this side of the country, though a few east coast teams will make the flight out. The skill level in the advanced division is still impressive (El Dorado, Cactus Shadows, etc.), but nowhere near the caliber of UCA. Probably closer to NCA, though the divisions are split differently.

3. A few teams out here do UCA and USA, and generally speaking they tend to prefer USA. It's very well run and generally a pleasant experience. I also enjoy that College Championships are at the same time (wayyyyy smaller than any College Nationals, but still a great time) so the girls can go talk to College coaches and watch the teams compete.

4. Much more similar to NCA than UCA, but still different. Heavy focus on the execution and lesser on the difficulty. The scoresheet is here: http://usa.s3.varsity.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Files/Competitions/Spirit/ScoreSheets/16-17_ShowCheer.pdf

5. You have to score a 75 or higher at a USA Regional event to qualify. Pretty easy to do, so it's not the most prestigious event. But it's a great time regardless, probably my second favorite competition I've ever attended behind NCA College Nationals. For us it's much cheaper to attend than any other National event since we can rent a bus and drive, and we actually have a shot at making finals with the way the divisions are set up, which is great.

It really depends on your team and what style they're better suited for/where your team is located/what you're looking for in a Nationals experience. If you have any more questions I'm happy to answer them. I'm sure @CheerItFullOut can also weigh in on the experiences of Tulare at this event, as they may be differnt than mine.
I know very little about USA. Teams go to both UCA and USA nationals? Aren't you only allowed to attend 1 nationals per season? I feel like that was a rule, but can't remember.

Thank you! This is all great info! I really think this may be the best choice for my school as our first nationals (plus UCA is crazy far from us here in colorado and Dallas wouldn't be as much fun as Disney Land!). One last question and Ill be done I swear ;) I don't plan to win by any means, but do the winners get rings? It's not a huge deal either way but I don't want to make "the work is worth it" posters with rings on them or anything and then have them find out they don't get them if they win :D:D

No rings, unfortunately, but they do give out banners and giant trophies, similar to NCA. Plus, all teams that place in the top half of the division get trophies if I recall correctly - one year my team got 12th and we still got a big ole' trophy to take home with us. I heard a rumor that they may do rings if the competition gets big enough, but as of right now it's just the trophies and banners. If you're in Colorado I definitely recommend it, much more convenient than flying across the country, and wayyyy cheaper.

I know very little about USA. Teams go to both UCA and USA nationals? Aren't you only allowed to attend 1 nationals per season? I feel like that was a rule, but can't remember.

I was not aware of this rule. Personally, I know of two AZ teams (Cactus Shadows and Verrado) who both compete UCA and USA every year, so if it does exist it's definitely not enforced. I have heard of specific states having rules like that, though, so it could be a thing in your state?

Yep, USA is the only exception to that rule unless you call them and say "hey, this isn't the same team from our school." Example: UK blue squad competes UCA, UK white squad competes Cheersport.

There is also CANAM nationals in myrtle beach that a UCA team can go to if they want to.

• UCA Event - Cheer Ltd is proud to announce that teams who earn a bid from UCA have also earned a bid to compete at CANAM, another benefit of scoresheet synergy! Conversely, teams earning a bid to CANAM are also invited to compete at UCA National High School Championships. (Note: Cheer Ltd Nationals at CANAM is also an APPROVED event from UCA - meaning you CAN compete at UCA National High School Championships and Cheer Ltd. Nationals at CANAM!)

There is also CANAM nationals in myrtle beach that a UCA team can go to if they want to.

• UCA Event - Cheer Ltd is proud to announce that teams who earn a bid from UCA have also earned a bid to compete at CANAM, another benefit of scoresheet synergy! Conversely, teams earning a bid to CANAM are also invited to compete at UCA National High School Championships. (Note: Cheer Ltd Nationals at CANAM is also an APPROVED event from UCA - meaning you CAN compete at UCA National High School Championships and Cheer Ltd. Nationals at CANAM!)

Sweet, I didn't know they had added that one to the list.

To my friends who are attending:

Do you know if this year ticket pickup/wristbands is at the ticket booth, or at the Hilton like it was last year? They said they'd email that information out but I don't see it anywhere. I could be super blind but I don't want to showup one place to get all the registration information only to find out it's somewhere else.

ETA: Nevermind I'm a fool, Hall A & B Lobby, ignore this.

No rings, unfortunately, but they do give out banners and giant trophies, similar to NCA. Plus, all teams that place in the top half of the division get trophies if I recall correctly - one year my team got 12th and we still got a big ole' trophy to take home with us. I heard a rumor that they may do rings if the competition gets big enough, but as of right now it's just the trophies and banners. If you're in Colorado I definitely recommend it, much more convenient than flying across the country, and wayyyy cheaper.

I was not aware of this rule. Personally, I know of two AZ teams (Cactus Shadows and Verrado) who both compete UCA and USA every year, so if it does exist it's definitely not enforced. I have heard of specific states having rules like that, though, so it could be a thing in your state?
In the NHSCC handbook it says you can go to UCA and USA in the same year.

https://varsity.com/uploads/editor/...titions/NHSCC/NHSCC-TravelBook-Rules-2017.pdf
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that info. I wonder why USA is the exception?

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that info. I wonder why USA is the exception?

I assume it's because it's a much smaller national competition and it's more regional locked than anything. There aren't teams coming from all over the country like they do for NCA/UCA.

And how is scoring? I've heard the event has gotten much better, but still hearing grumbling about scoring.

And how is scoring? I've heard the event has gotten much better, but still hearing grumbling about scoring.
it's been well organized- staff SO friendly! we have finals tomorrow, excited to go up against two very fun teams - I die for PV's Greenup Style socks :)

Scoring is pretty decent. I'm a little salty that my team didn't get the difficulty range they've gotten at every other competition this season, but it appears everyone got a lower score than normal today. My precious babies didn't make finals (unfortunately), but they got 14th out of 25 teams and did pretty darn well so I'm ok with it. Plus my team has 10 freshmen and 0 seniors on it so I can only imagine what we'll do next year! Here's my babies in Medium Intermediate:

Back