All-Star Usasf Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

alpaca

Cheer Parent
Apr 21, 2017
I know there is another thread talking about this, but it's titled World's age change and I thought that title was very specific. Since i have a lower level cheerleader, I have questions/comments about non words teams changes.

I have seen the grids sent out. But its so much information. Have d1 and D2 been abandoned? And will there still be splits among team sizes?

I posted this in another thread but most of what I do not understand is probably related to the newer programs/divisions that do not really affect Worlds teams:

I will tell you that I do not understand FUNdamentals or Novice at all.

What I am reading in NOVICE:

*no tosses.
*no cradles
*tumbling not scored.
*you're being rated but not scored against other teams.
Tiny novice: no tumbling at all period not even rolls.

Then Fundamentals:

*Coaches choose the routine from a group of them?
*must be exhibition.

QUESTIONS:

1. UM. Aren't these the same concept?

2. Can't the same kids who would do this (ex: kids who are new) just BE ON PREP 1.1 or 1.2 THAT YOU JUST CREATED?

3. Can't they also be on Regular Tiny and Youth or Mini 1? (which depending on the gym is not practicing that much more?)

4. Who is really going to want to pay what I assume is going to be on par with what you'd pay for a local traveling Prep team or half year team, to do this? You're probably going to be paying half year or prep Mini 1 $$$ for your kids to do, well, not that.

The concept of FUNdamentals sounds good. Just some pre-made routines that can be used that will follow a progression. Kinda like an add-on to existing 'Learn-to-cheer' programs or a bases for clubs to start that kind of class up. What I don't get is why the ages??? They aren't even competing, it sounds like it's meant to me "in-house" meaning just perform at the clubs showcase etc?

I was trying to understand this also. Fundamentals is exhibition only but Novice can compete but isn’t scored. Isn’t this the same? Isn’t that exhibition? So the only real difference is that the fundamentals choreography is given to them?

I know there is another thread talking about this, but it's titled World's age change and I thought that title was very specific. Since i have a lower level cheerleader, I have questions/comments about non words teams changes.

I have seen the grids sent out. But its so much information. Have d1 and D2 been abandoned? And will there still be splits among team sizes?

D1/D2 discussions will come later from what we’re told. As of now - status quo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this in another thread but most of what I do not understand is probably related to the newer programs/divisions that do not really affect Worlds teams:

I will tell you that I do not understand FUNdamentals or Novice at all.

What I am reading in NOVICE:

*no tosses.
*no cradles
*tumbling not scored.
*you're being rated but not scored against other teams.
Tiny novice: no tumbling at all period not even rolls.

Then Fundamentals:

*Coaches choose the routine from a group of them?
*must be exhibition.

QUESTIONS:

1. UM. Aren't these the same concept?

2. Can't the same kids who would do this (ex: kids who are new) just BE ON PREP 1.1 or 1.2 THAT YOU JUST CREATED?

3. Can't they also be on Regular Tiny and Youth or Mini 1? (which depending on the gym is not practicing that much more?)

4. Who is really going to want to pay what I assume is going to be on par with what you'd pay for a local traveling Prep team or half year team, to do this? You're probably going to be paying half year or prep Mini 1 $$$ for your kids to do, well, not that.

Tiny Novice has cartwheels and forward rolls allowed

Prep still competes, and I think that Novice is giving kids the ability to cheer without competitive pressure. Lets be honest, the bulk of cheer expenses come from uniforms, travel, competition fees.

Not everyone wants to compete and I think that gyms still feel like prep has to compete. If you register a kid in novice, you know they're not competing, whereas prep, it's assumed you still are.

I'm disappointed. Prep for us is a way to enjoy allstar without the full time and cost commitment. I feel like they've ruined prep with the new levels. Levels 1.1, 2.1, 3.1, 3.2. But no 2.2. That means if you want to do level 2 tumbling you have to do level 3 stunts. That will be hard. Just because you have your back handspring doesn't mean you're ready to stunt level 3.

Trying not to just think of my own child, I can see how it could be good for some people maybe. But for us now I kinda feel like we'll be forced to switch from prep to "elite" so CP can still be on a normal level 2 team next season. We might have done that anyway though.

Anyone else has thoughts on prep? I know that probably most who do prep are level 1. So maybe not that many will be affected but in our area there will be lots I think because prep here is way more than just level 1.

I'm disappointed. Prep for us is a way to enjoy allstar without the full time and cost commitment. I feel like they've ruined prep with the new levels. Levels 1.1, 2.1, 3.1, 3.2. But no 2.2. That means if you want to do level 2 tumbling you have to do level 3 stunts. That will be hard. Just because you have your back handspring doesn't mean you're ready to stunt level 3.

Trying not to just think of my own child, I can see how it could be good for some people maybe. But for us now I kinda feel like we'll be forced to switch from prep to "elite" so CP can still be on a normal level 2 team next season. We might have done that anyway though.

Anyone else has thoughts on prep? I know that probably most who do prep are level 1. So maybe not that many will be affected but in our area there will be lots I think because prep here is way more than just level 1.

I've seen a lot more prep through level 3 this year at comps. Teams that technically have the skills for the level, but still need time to polish and perfect them in order to win their divisions.

I've seen a lot more prep through level 3 this year at comps. Teams that technically have the skills for the level, but still need time to polish and perfect them in order to win their divisions.

Yeah our gym had a prep level 3 team last season. I don't think we do this season although I did see some tucks at tryouts, maybe there wasn't enough level 3s for a team.

Prep in our area is not just about polishing skills, it's also for those who are maybe busy with school cheer and other sports and/or if parents don't want to pay for full year. What happened to thinking about those who don't have the "time and financial means" that they were talking about in the teaser? I feel like they made it worse and forcing some people into full year ("elite") instead.

Now there's no normal level 2 or normal level 3 in prep anymore. :(

What I could see happening is Novice be used for younger beginners, and Prep for older ones, kids who need to travel less due to school presssure, or kids already doing school teams. By requiring lower tumbling skills, that makes spending lots of time in the gym to train tumbling less of an issue, and if most competitions are within a few hours, so kids don’t need to miss school, maybe we could keep more kids at middle school and high school.

I hear what you are saying and am not sure why they don't have a true level 2 prep. But in our gym prep is not any less time or cost so I think these additions are positive.
Prep still competes, and I think that Novice is giving kids the ability to cheer without competitive pressure. Lets be honest, the bulk of cheer expenses come from uniforms, travel, competition fees.
Yup! And I love that...

Also, if there are enough people who want limited travel, etc. I’d think a gym could make a 2 or 3 that essentially is a prep team as far as travel and schedule is concerned and doesn’t bid-chase, along with a 2 or 3 that does do the bigger travel comps.

Does it say anywhere if, for example, they decide to make a 3.2 prep team because most of the kids don't have their level 3 tumbling yet, but over the summer or even in the fall, the kids get it together and majority have level 3 tumbling. Can the team change at that point to compete elite club level 3 mid-season? I could see this possibly being a good option for my perpetually blocking daughter who still wants to cheer. Less pressure with the ability to move up to elite in the season. Although when she hears the word prep team, I'm going to be shown the door. Lol

Does it say anywhere if, for example, they decide to make a 3.2 prep team because most of the kids don't have their level 3 tumbling yet, but over the summer or even in the fall, the kids get it together and majority have level 3 tumbling. Can the team change at that point to compete elite club level 3 mid-season? I could see this possibly being a good option for my perpetually blocking daughter who still wants to cheer. Less pressure with the ability to move up to elite in the season. Although when she hears the word prep team, I'm going to be shown the door. Lol

Just a parent's thoughts but I don't see why not. An athlete only has to be AS or prep at the same competition currently, why should it be different for teams? As long as they are only moving up, same as the athlete rule about only moving up in level from novice to prep, elite, etc.

Back