All-Star Usasf Communications Policy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

OP here. Sorry for any confusion. Yes, I've been trying to figure this out myself. I posted days ago and can't remember how I came across that pdf. It says effective August 1 2018. When I type in "communications policy" on the USASF website I can only find one that says 2017-2018.

IMO, USASF should absolutely prioritize updated policy on their website. Its still been an interesting conversation. I like hearing about aspects of the policy that I had not thought through.

It's very confusing. I'm snooping to figure what's what and found some things.

USASF's Professional Responsibility Code Version 8.0 Effective August 1, 2018 through July 31, 2019 - Outlines everything. Lists what you posted originally as it's current Electronic Communications Policy.

USASF's Sexual Abuse Policy & Preention Policy Effective August 1, 2018 through July 31, 2019

USASF's Membership Terms & Conditions Effective August 1, 2018 through July 31, 2019 - Lists what you posted originally as it's current Electronic Communications Policy.

For extra fun:

USASF Coloring/Activity Book?

So looks like they have new policies (what you posted) and never updated their site. For arguements sake, I'd say legally you're bound by... both versions?

(ETA: I didn't find any of these listed on USASF's site, only 2018 versions.)

I'm not a lawyer, so I can't state whether or not this is beyond legal protection. Generally, a lawyer will give the basic guidelines that will serve to protect you, your employees and your clients, hence "the same or more strict" clause. I agree the permanent ban from coaching seems over the top, however, I can understand if a warning is given and that coach chooses to ignore it, then they are going to face why the severity of the problem wasn't addressed at the appropriate level.

@Eyes On The Prize Honestly, I just copied and paste some of the wording into Google and similar policies came up for electronic communication with minors based on the pdf:
https://www.usaswimming.org/docs/de...policy_electronic-communication.pdf?sfvrsn=14

https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachme...on_Policy_of_Vienna_Elite_Volleyball_Club.pdf

Just because everyone's doing it this way doesn't mean we have to agree with it. The volleyball one is from an individual club, not a governing body. The swimming one is from a governing body and it doesn't tell individual clubs they can't make their own with more lienant rules, which is a rule on USASF.net right now.

I like that they both have the TAP section though and I wish USASF would add that to theirs.

USASF's is too strict, IMO. If USASF were to enact a default policy until gyms establish their own, I'd like to see something similar to the volleyball one.

The swimming one sets up times when a coach and athlete can and cannot talk through email or text. I still don't think its up to the governing body to dictate when a coach or gym employee can and cannot communicate with it's members. Especially in cheer when meet times extend before and after the times outlined in the rules currently posted on their site. If gyms don't establish their own policies for whatever reason and are required to use this, that particular ruling is still overreaching and puts coaches in a tough position if they need to get in contact with their athletes outside of those hours.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, the original policy was released in November 2017, thus the 2017-2018 season descriptor. I find it interesting that it was lost in the original email and nobody found it then.

I'm curious about the statement that is being repeated all over Twitter by coaches from multiple gyms. It goes as follows "A new social media policy has rolled out to protect minors. I am PROUD of the USASF for taking a bold stand to protect our athletes. I'm kindly requesting that all cheer and dance athletes under the age of 18 unfriend or unfollow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter." I'm wondering if this has been generated by the USASF and put out to coaches or if someone just did it and others are copying it. I'm not a big supporter of the policy as USASF has presented it, but I really don't like the onus being put on the athletes to unfollow the coaches. This should come from the coaches.

I'm curious about the statement that is being repeated all over Twitter by coaches from multiple gyms. It goes as follows "A new social media policy has rolled out to protect minors. I am PROUD of the USASF for taking a bold stand to protect our athletes. I'm kindly requesting that all cheer and dance athletes under the age of 18 unfriend or unfollow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter." I'm wondering if this has been generated by the USASF and put out to coaches or if someone just did it and others are copying it. I'm not a big supporter of the policy as USASF has presented it, but I really don't like the onus being put on the athletes to unfollow the coaches. This should come from the coaches.
The only one I saw do this was Justin Carrier from NCA.

I've seen this. And while I understand the idea that it should come from the coaches, the person that I saw who posted it had thousands of facebook followers. I don't think it is unreasonable that they may not remember whether athletes are 16 or 18. So I am OK with the coaches asking athletes to unfollow them.

I've seen this. And while I understand the idea that it should come from the coaches, the person that I saw who posted it had thousands of facebook followers. I don't think it is unreasonable that they may not remember whether athletes are 16 or 18. So I am OK with the coaches asking athletes to unfollow them.
But ultimately it is the coach/gym who bears the penalty (whatever that might be) of failure to comply. While a reasonable attempt should be made to make sure athletes are protected, the USASF has again overstepped their bounds.

Thank you! At the end of the day, liability will fall on the employer and employee if they don't take precautions. Frankly, most insurance companies require background checks and some sort of child protection training to get coverage if a claim is made. I can't think of a church or children's organization I have volunteered for that hasn't required a background check and signed child protection policy to be kept on file for insurance purposes. If anyone goes on the USASF gym owner insurance link and clicks on the application process, a sanctioning body, as well as gym, athlete protection policy is part of the application process. Social media is a no brainer, that's where most relationships, good and bad, are started these days. I'm sure insurance underwriters have revised minimum guidelines on what is acceptable.

USASF gym owner insurance offered, scroll to page 11:

https://www.kandkinsurance.com/sites/USASF/Documents/1260A-USASF-cheerGym-6-17.pdf

I completely agree. I have no idea if the statement is sufficient to clear them of wrongdoing, but it sounds like it came from USASF based on the wording. USASF created a very clear rule with career ending consequences for violating the fule, but seem totally fine putting the burden of following the rule on the athlete and not the coach/owner. If it is such a concern as USASF has made it out to be, they should be requiring the coaches/owners to unfriend anyone they don't know personally and lock up their accounts and not expeciting a 14 year old kid to bear the responsibility.

On a personal note: CP's gym is still using group texts from the coach to send information about practice etc. Parents are not included on the group text. This bothers me more than my kid potentially following their coaches public instagram profile.

I think the announcement serves as a way to tell the parents what is happening and trying to include them in part of the action. The burden is still on the coach to make sure no kids are on it.

@alpalca - personally, I won’t get too upset about a team app that the coach is using for group communication. Info needs to get out some way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree with you, @quitthedrama.

Another concern I have is the requirement of adding all parents to a team chat. I have seen coaches utilize their chats as a very important part of training where they discuss goals, dissected practices and worked on team dynamics. Adding in the susies can quickly make it into a competitive environment where competition and resentment could take over. Having parents participate might distract from the immediate goals that most coaches have when a team page was opened.

There are no easy answers.

The team chats is 100% my concern as well. Our teams have those for the athletes and it was with our parental request that coaches were added because unnecessary drama starts on those and then it spreads to practice. AS SOON AS we added coaches it was much better. The coaches did what coaches do... keep the athletes focused on the goal and positive. They didn't interact daily on it but occasionally would comment and the girls knowing their coaches were on it improved attitudes. Parents do not need to be posting in that team chat (totally agree with you in the distracting from goals) and each parent can control their child's phone to see what is going on with that group.

Personally I feel USASF overstepped their bounds with all of this. Yes each gym should have a social media policy. BUT there is so much the USASF does control. WE as PARENTS control our children's social media in the end. It is our job to make sure they are friending appropriately and posting appropriately. My rules are strict (no social media till 13 to start and it goes on from there), but I respect another parent to make differing decisions. Regarding coaches accounts I used to see many coaches run 2 accounts one that was personal and one that was cheer related and the cheer one was where kids connected... not seeing it happen as much as coaches seem to be getting younger (and me and my kids older).

On a personal note: CP's gym is still using group texts from the coach to send information about practice etc. Parents are not included on the group text. This bothers me more than my kid potentially following their coaches public instagram profile.
that would bother me if I was the one driving her to practice and shelling out the $$ for everything......

THIS! My CP's coach (and owner of the gym) did this and when parents asked to be on it we were told to "ask our athlete if I want to know what's going on?" Hmmmm, maybe ask her for the check each month? Not sure what the big secrets were but needless to say we aren't there anymore.

From a coaches point of view we still use the group chat with the team members and coaches. There is nothing there we are trying to hide from parents. It’s just info between the team and coaches. We just discuss info about practices and maybe reminders of meet times Or to discuss things we are working on. Or offer words of encouragement to each other. Or we put videos from practice and point out things on those like maybe things they need to fix. We also have a Facebook group with the parents included that we also put videos from practices so parents can see how we are progressing.

Back