All-Star Usasf Feedback

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think their should be less summit bids, I think comps outside of NCA should literally only give out like 1 paid and 1 at large per comp.

Not 3 paid and 10 at large. If these teams aren't out scoring the whole competition or heck even just the whole level then they shouldn't go.
There are times when 3 or 4 bids go to 1 level. That's a little much.

I watched the whole division of several divisions at summit. And I know some just had bad days but u could tell they were a good team... but others literally were hitting 0 and I knew wouldn't even crack top 10 for finals.

I understand why gyms are letting them go, so I'm not blaming them there. I just feel like there needs to be way less bids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Non of the local comps we go to offer paid bids. Many ONLY offer wild card bids, and only 2-3 of those. I would like to see that evened out across regions. I think Cheersport Nationals and NCA should both be offering more bids than locals.

Sorry guys yes I didn't just mean NCA, I meant cheersport and other large comps as well. My thoughts weren't fully put together since I had just woke up when I posted earlier.

However if they are not going to cut bids drastically by saying these comps only have 2 bids and stuff then I would like to see that no bids are passed down. This for worlds bids as well.

For example: if the declarations just says 2 paid bids for the highest 2 scoring teams. And then 5 at large bids for the next highest scoring teams.
Then it shouldn't filter downwards if teams already have bids.

So if the highest scoring teams in order were

Stars j4 (paid from another comp)
Cali j3 (paid from another comp)
ECE s2
Cja j3 (at large from another comp)
World Cup y2
Cheer athletics y2
Spirit of Tx s4 (at large from another comp)
Laredo s3
Cheerforce j4
Top Gun y3

So with my recommendation about no passed down bids-
Then the two PAIDS would be lost because both those teams that earned them at this comp already have paid.

Then ECE, WC, and Cheer athletics would get the 3 of the 5 at large bids. The other 2 wouldn't be handed out because cja and spirit of Texas already have at large bids.

So unfortunately Laredo cheerforce and top gun all wouldn't get bids.

In the current situation that they have been using for bids they would have gave ECE and CJA the paids.

The WC, Cheer athletics, laredo, cheerforce, and top gun would all get the at larges.

At the end of the season when a lot of the strong ones have bids already then some bids are being handed out to teams that wouldn't normally belong there creating huge divides in the type of the teams at the summit.

@TheVipersMom This would never work. Think of all the lost revenue to Var$ity if all those additional teams were not there....
Bingo! That is why the whole "not so many bids" idea is never going to fly... All those at large/wildcard etc. bids are what is bringing in the revenue (both summits and worlds). It does not behoove the powers that be to cut down on these. These comps are not about just the best of the best but also about making the most money possible (and I would guess that the money > ) It is nice to try to envision USASF as this altruistic, in it for the kids, benevolent organization. But the reality is that it is Varsity (for all intents and purposes) and it exists to make a profit. Your kindly gym owners also exist to make a profit so we must all banish the idea that they would bonfire dollar bills in the name of our "athletes".

Crossing over numbers /jumping too many levels. Sad when a whole level 4 team can compete then go to warmups and comepete in 4.2!

I don't think that can happen at summit can it? I though there was a limit to the number of crossovers, and they can only compete one level up or down (but I don't know where 4.2 sits on the list).

I don't think that can happen at summit can it? I though there was a limit to the number of crossovers, and they can only compete one level up or down (but I don't know where 4.2 sits on the list).
Totally possible, no limit to the number of crossovers per team. Just limited to each athlete being on no more than 2 teams. 4.2 can cross to 2, 3, or 4.

Jumping off this: minimum scores to receive said bid. We had a local team here that won a bid by default and had one of the lowest scores of the entire competition. This had to be an embarrassment to the EP.

IMO until scoring is consistent and unified this is would be a mistake. I want there to be a minimum score to get a bid, but we need to get the scoring system to score fairly and consistently first.

Only limit if Worlds athlete crossovers...

I LOVE this thread!! I was throwing shimmies around like conffetti! SO many good points! SO many sad thruths. However, this is more of a business than a sport (sorry). The only way to get a business to change or listen is to hit them where it counts- the wallet. However, most aren't willing to for fear of how Susie will be affected.

ETA- and it's not just parents. It's gym owners enabling too. They aren't stupid. Most I know are living in McMansions (at least) and rolling around in fancy sports cars. Clearly, business is booming.

Last edited:
@TheVipersMom This would never work. Think of all the lost revenue to Var$ity if all those additional teams were not there....

More specifically, the purpose of all of those bids is to attract teams to compete at Varsity events. If there were fewer bids, there would be less incentive for teams to go Random Varsity Regional Championship. Enrollment at those events would suffer immensely without all of the bid opportunities.

Also, if bids didn't "hop" the teams with bids already, there would be pressure for those teams NOT to attend the events. Why would we bring a team with a bid to an event if that would make it even HARDER for another of our own teams to get their bid? Varsity is generally not going to go for a policy that encourages people to leave teams at home.

I am fully on board with your crossover suggestion, though.

Last edited:

@TheVipersMom also, Varsity is working with Disney. We have no idea what that contract requires for the use of ESPN. Less bids means less hotels, park hoppers, food, and souvenirs. These big venues and convention centers demand the revenue and tax dollars to use them.

I really think Summit needs to limit the crossovers between levels like NCA...
how about 0.

I completely agree with the level crossover, that's why I love NCA I know we are all on an even playing field with skill appropriate athletes. Some of these teams at summit are taking there whole 5 crossovers from a level 5 and putting them on there 4 to sandbag it. And that sucks! I think there was something similar in your division this year an I right? My daughter is now officially moving on to worlds but had she not Summit was least favorite comp . Disney aside bc I love Disney

According to the cheer by the numbers article, this season there were a total of 1064 d1 bids (paid, AL, and WC). This 17/18 season if I count correctly, (someone can double check the bid events for 2 day paid and at large and 1 day WC events) there are 1186 total bids for d1

Back