All-Star Usasf Feedback

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If I recall the thread correctly, they started choreo last year on Memorial Day... most of the other gyms barely had teams finalized by then
Since this is a USASF thread, my request is again mandate some sort of off season. Choreography by Memorial Day is scary to me (not knocking the gym, but the concept), and once one gym starts others try and catch up etc. etc. IT just widens the divide in my opinion between the elite gyms with a large following who can enforce this even more stringent summer schedule, and other gyms that will lose numbers by becoming even more of a commitment...And of course the kids get burned out and mom and dad are sick of driving them :)

Since this is a USASF thread, my request is again mandate some sort of off season. Choreography by Memorial Day is scary to me (not knocking the gym, but the concept), and once one gym starts others try and catch up etc. etc. IT just widens the divide in my opinion between the elite gyms with a large following who can enforce this even more stringent summer schedule, and other gyms that will lose numbers by becoming even more of a commitment...And of course the kids get burned out and mom and dad are sick of driving them :)

You could also suggest the elimination of season-extending competitions like Worlds and Summit. The "time off" used to be late March and April and teams were picked around the same time they are now.

I really do understand the sentiment. However, politically, the event producer-driven board isn't going to put a restriction on when events can be held, and telling the gyms when they can be open for business won't go over well at all. I don't see that changing.

You could also suggest the elimination of season-extending competitions like Worlds and Summit. The "time off" used to be late March and April and teams were picked around the same time they are now.

I really do understand the sentiment. However, politically, the event producer-driven board isn't going to put a restriction on when events can be held, and telling the gyms when they can be open for business won't go over well at all. I don't see that changing.

Thus, overall participation will continue to decline...boils down to greed.

I see 3 major subjects of concern...

1. Transparency - Give me all the receipts, so to speak.

2. Cost- Everything from comp fees to stay to play. The only thing reasonable is monthly gym fees, in my book.

3. Time commitment- 12 FULL months at 3-7 days a week? Who else does this?

Each of the 3 has about 20 bullet points under it that I'm too lazy to type because y'all already have.

Thus, overall participation will continue to decline...boils down to greed.

I suppose that is a matter of perception. I see it as a collective-action problem. No one wants athletes burning out and participation to decline, but you have to withstand a potentially huge negative impact to your business/employees to do what has been suggested.

"Greed" is a pretty loaded term, but I could see it theoretically appling to every part of the equation: athletes/parents, gyms, and event producers. Not every parent/athlete will jump at the latest program to win the most titles at Event X, but enough of them will that you simply have to take that into account as a gym owner. The gym owners generally want their athletes happy, safe, and having fun, but not many can simply shut down their programs for months or even weeks at a time and still keep their doors open and their employees paid. Event producers, facing rising costs, can't simply turn down the opportunity to get more teams to their events. We are all open to suggestions, but we need to be aware of the political and practical realities also.

I suppose that is a matter of perception. I see it as a collective-action problem. No one wants athletes burning out and participation to decline, but you have to withstand a potentially huge negative impact to your business/employees to do what has been suggested.

"Greed" is a pretty loaded term, but I could see it theoretically appling to every part of the equation: athletes/parents, gyms, and event producers. Not every parent/athlete will jump at the latest program to win the most titles at Event X, but enough of them will that you simply have to take that into account as a gym owner. The gym owners generally want their athletes happy, safe, and having fun, but not many can simply shut down their programs for months or even weeks at a time and still keep their doors open and their employees paid. Event producers, facing rising costs, can't simply turn down the opportunity to get more teams to their events. We are all open to suggestions, but we need to be aware of the political and practical realities also.

In my experience (limited to 11 seasons) and a handful of gyms in 2 states, gym owners were rolling in cash. Probally making a sufficient amount to scale back (not suggesting closing) for a month. Plus, as I've said, gym fees are reasonable. Pay the same gym fee all year. Who cares? Just offer the break like they used to. I do realize, that's just a fraction of the costs / issues here, but I think a lot more parents would stay on board if we went back to the 11 month season of the old days (which in real sports is still crazy).

ETA- I 100% think that every single part of the equation is greedy, that's how the 'sport' is where it's at today.

I've always thought it was insane how gyms are year round. We're taking a full 6 weeks off with nothing planned. We'll start some summer camps and skills events in July. Placements happen mid to late August. Teams start in September.

Our first competitions are in mid to late January, last one in early May.

All that and I still think that our season is too dang long. Year round is absolutely crazyville

My ideal gym would have all of June & July off from mandatory practices and tryouts Aug 1. During the summer they could offer tryout boot camps (come work your skills so you get on the team you want!), open practices so kids can work jumps, stunts and not just tumbling, buy 5 privates get 1 free, camps, normal classes, etc.

I can't see how a gym would not bring in enough money to pay staff during the summer even without mandatory practices. Camps alone should bring in a lot?

And it might be in their long term interest to give kids and parents a break! Less injuries & burnout.

My ideal gym would have all of June & July off from mandatory practices and tryouts Aug 1. During the summer they could offer tryout boot camps (come work your skills so you get on the team you want!), open practices so kids can work jumps, stunts and not just tumbling, buy 5 privates get 1 free, camps, normal classes, etc.

I can't see how a gym would not bring in enough money to pay staff during the summer even without mandatory practices. Camps alone should bring in a lot?

And it might be in their long term interest to give kids and parents a break! Less injuries & burnout.

This was my first year as a small gym owner, and I gave my girls off for May, June and Signups start in july. I have summer camps which is able to pay my rent, and it's nice break not only for the families but for me. Plus it gives me more time to advertise and plan! I can't imagine going back to back

It would be really nice if worlds/summit was in late March/early April. Do teams really gain that much more in a month? Plus the weather would be so much more tolerable in Orlando. Lol

Camps are VERY inconsistent and not something you can count on as steady income, particularly during vacation season. They are typically a feast or famine situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Camps are VERY inconsistent and not something you can count on as steady income, particularly during vacation season. They are typically a feast or famine situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those of you who are ok with a 12 month season, great!

I don't like the idea of never having a break just because gyms must receive full tuition every month.

If that really is the case I'd rather pay so they could "survive" but still have a break.

What other sports have 12 month seasons even for beginners or not elite levels?

It would be really nice if worlds/summit was in late March/early April. Do teams really gain that much more in a month? Plus the weather would be so much more tolerable in Orlando. Lol

If I had to guess, this is probably a Disney thing. The week before and after Easter are the second busiest time at WDW, and with Easter bouncing around March/April, there's no real easy way to set a consistent date for Worlds/Summit that would avoid that crazy time.

For the many issues I think USASF has, I don't think they determine the length of the season. I know of several gyms who are successful at major competitions who work basics and technique during the summer and have choreography late summer and even into Fall. Our region doesn't even have a competition hosted until mid December - many gyms don't compete until January, so the competition season for us has always only been 4 months long.
The "let's get rid of Worlds" talk is silly to me. It has it's faults, but it is one of the best run, most accurate, unbiased judged, and most economical competitions of the year.

Back