All-Star Usasf Feedback

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

For those of you who are ok with a 12 month season, great!

I don't like the idea of never having a break just because gyms must receive full tuition every month.

If that really is the case I'd rather pay so they could "survive" but still have a break.

What other sports have 12 month seasons even for beginners or not elite levels?

Gymnastics. When my CP was on a gymnastic team, it was year round. In fact summer had even longer practice hours than the school year, 15 hrs a week as opposed to 12 hrs a week, it was also during the day so it pretty much ruled out doing any kind of summer camp. That was a big part of the reason she switched to cheer.

For the many issues I think USASF has, I don't think they determine the length of the season. I know of several gyms who are successful at major competitions who work basics and technique during the summer and have choreography late summer and even into Fall. Our region doesn't even have a competition hosted until mid December - many gyms don't compete until January, so the competition season for us has always only been 4 months long.
The "let's get rid of Worlds" talk is silly to me. It has it's faults, but it is one of the best run, most accurate, unbiased judged, and most economical competitions of the year.

You beat me to it. In the Northeast, I can't think of any competitions in November, and though there are some in December, the season doesn't really get started until January. I wonder if that's a result of a later start to school for us? September - June is the normal school year. I can't think of a time when evaluations were ever in April like they seem to be or were in other parts of the country.

10 years ago I competed at US Finals in early May. How far back do we need to go to talk about April being the off-season?

Last edited:
I didn't suggest that the USASF should limit the length of the season. In the end I think market forces will decide. If enough parents think it's too expensive and too time consuming then (some) gyms will start to adjust to that so they don't lose customers. If not then it will stay the way it is.

Is it normal that gyms keep posting on social media that athletes can still try out, even after tryouts are over? Or does this mean they did have "dwindling numbers"...?

I didn't suggest that the USASF should limit the length of the season. In the end I think market forces will decide. If enough parents think it's too expensive and too time consuming then (some) gyms will start to adjust to that so they don't lose customers. If not then it will stay the way it is.

Is it normal that gyms keep posting on social media that athletes can still try out, even after tryouts are over? Or does this mean they did have "dwindling numbers"...?
Its normal. Most gyms in our area advertise the teams with spots left for 6-8 weeks. They would rather run a small team of 22 than 18, so if they can get a few more in the next few weeks, they will take them.

I am a bit annoyed with the the changes to team numbers for lower level teams. Kind of stinks that large teams Level 1-4 are having to reduce their number by 2 but small teams are given 2 additional athletes. On the bottom of the new age grid is states that EPs will split into Small (5-22) and Medium (23-30) where applicable. If they're going to make a small and medium division for these teams I wish they would just go ahead and offer Large as well like other 5/5r divisions with an athlete number of 31-38.

The "let's get rid of Worlds" talk is silly to me. It has it's faults, but it is one of the best run, most accurate, unbiased judged, and most economical competitions of the year.

I agree that the "let's get rid of Worlds" talk is silly. The rest of what you said, however, has not been our experience at all.

Last edited:
https://varsity.com/uploads/editor/files/PDFS/AllStar/18/Summit/VASS.pdf
https://varsity.com/uploads/editor/files/PDFS/AllStar/18/Summit/VASWC.pdf

I think the above is a large reason why some areas of the country start their season so early. Some gyms have figured out that their odds are better for those summit bids if they are first out of the gate and/or they just want to check that box early. (and wow I am actually quite stunned at the "geography" of the early bid events.... )

US All Star Federation: BID EVENTS

Interesting that the Worlds bid race starts later and not so predominately focused to one section of the country.

Smart gyms should have good statisticians/math people on hand to figure all this out. I am sure there is a formula that can work it to your advantage. That said... with Worlds and the Summit being when they are... that just means a longer season for those who start earlier. But maybe the bids are worth it.

Last edited:

I think the above is a large reason why some areas of the country start their season so early. Some gyms have figured out that their odds are better for those summit bids if they are first out of the gate and/or they just want to check that box early. (and wow I am actually quite stunned at the "geography" of the early bid events.... )

Interesting that the Worlds bid race starts later and not so predominately focused to one section of the country.

Smart gyms should have good statisticians/math people on hand to figure all this out. I am sure there is a formula that can work it to your advantage. That said... with Worlds and the Summit being when they are... that just means a longer season for those who start earlier. But maybe the bids are worth it.
Dang, I just noticed that all winners at NCA and CheerSport will get bids. And there are 10 PAID bids at each. Did we discuss this already?

Those bid dates dates are absolutely why the season starts so early in many area's. Some small local comps start as early as October around me. Those are generally used to test the routines and get scoring feedback.

Maybe I am reading the charts wrong. But on the 2 day chart I see how many bids are given, but it doesn't break it down into how many D2 and how many are Summit in the way it is listed on the WildCard chart. Can anyone explain?

I agree that the "let's get rid of Worlds" talk is silly. The rest of what you said, however, has not been our experience at all.
And as much as you love NCA I don't have the same experience as you do with that competition. I feel it has gotten worse over the years (which is a shame because I used to agree with you about NCA). I think anytime things grow quickly, quality gets sacrificed.

And as much as you love NCA I don't have the same experience as you do with that competition. I feel it has gotten worse over the years (which is a shame because I used to agree with you about NCA). I think anytime things grow quickly, quality gets sacrificed.

Fair enough. I can only speak from our experiences. NCA has its share of issues, but we have had far more issues at Worlds despite taking far fewer athletes and teams to Worlds. In fairness to USASF, this was probably the least disappointing year in a long time as far as the event logistics go.

I really think Summit needs to limit the crossovers between levels like NCA...
how about 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I completely agree! Im feed up with my cps gym. They cross over at least 8 level 5 cheerleaders to a level 2 or 3. Then they call it their "elite" team. Not fair to the teams they compete against nor the other members of the gym not on that team!

Last edited:
Back