All-Star Usasf Major Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I saw it a while back. It's pretty funny actually. The language is rough, but it's pretty informative. The thing that was the biggest eye opener for me was that they said to get certified through the USASF only required a 3 hour course, followed by an open book test. I feel like they should also have to get a certain amount of hours of hands on training signed off by a gym owner that is confident in their abilities

That was the AACCA process, not the USASF process. I know you can now take the AACCA test online, but I don't know if they still offer the in person course version.

So my question is....
Our gyms suppose to hold their tryouts and or teams in limbo till the usasf figures out what there doing.

They really should go ahead and let everyone know about the rule on 10 yr olds and up on Sr teams and is youth really through 12. I see those hurting everyone the most right now.

The tumbling would only effect a potential level 5 team at this point which can wait if that is necessary.

So how long till they figure that out because it could really start messing people and their new teams up?

I'm sure I said this earlier but after reading this thread and others dealing with these new rules (if they stick) and the A.S.G.A.'s facebook page it is clear to me that there is a HUGE disconnect with the people who are charged with governing our sport and the sport itself.

So my question is....
Our gyms suppose to hold their tryouts and or teams in limbo till the usasf figures out what there doing.

They really should go ahead and let everyone know about the rule on 10 yr olds and up on Sr teams and is youth really through 12. I see those hurting everyone the most right now.

The tumbling would only effect a potential level 5 team at this point which can wait if that is necessary.

So how long till they figure that out because it could really start messing people and their new teams up?

Naw - They will release it in December... kinda like when they released the rules requiring boys to Coed Stunt on the Worlds Scoresheet.... AFTER we had tryouts and AFTER potential boys that could COED stunt didnt make the team because they didnt have a DOUBLE FULL.

Regardless of how the injury was sustained the problem is we don't give kids the ample time needed to rehabilitate and strengthen to not rely on braces. They sprain their ankle a week before we throw a brace on and put them back on the floor. If a kid gets a concussion we throw them right back out on the floor.

My boys have had injuries in their sports they participate in and the coaches won't put them out there till they are cleared from the doctor. My son had a mild concussion, before he can return he had to be 7 day symptom free and then light participation for 5 days. And then here I am with my daughter being a crazy cheer mom and letting her perform 3 weeks after her ankle sprain. Aggressive treatment in the 3 weeks were taken to get her to be on that floor and then 6-8 weeks off after. But still the risk I took of her doing more damage was dumb of me and a constant battle in my household with my husband.

Image means something and sporting tons of braces on the floor for whatever the reason does not bode well for our sport.

I think there are quite a few people like this. :) I'm glad she found something that works for her. Its frustrating to me that the "higher ups" are using something like counting braces to back their rash decisions...

No one has said the higher ups are counting braces to back anything. It is an observation and a conversation that is being conducted on a forum.

Braces are band-aids that do nothing to address the issue or make the injury stronger. Rehab, strength and conditioning, and stretching are actions that need to be done. Most Dr and PT do not recommend Long Term use of any brace as it weakens the braced body part as well as will put undo stress on other parts of the body.

Um so Elaine helped come up with a new proposal to show the board which she also serves on :confused:

I dont understand what you are implying

Elaine is part of the Coaches Congress. The Congress came up with 3 proposals to submit to the USASF to rebut the rules that the Congress was blind sided with. The Congress is the voice of the Owners, Coaches, Athletes, and Parents. And when you look at the list of names that are members on the Congress, it could be argued they are the true founders of ALL STAR CHEELEADING. A lot of people that are respected in the Industry for many years.

Members of the NACCC:
Elaine Pascale & Joelle Antico (World Cup), Victor & Kristin Rosario (Top Gun) Morton Bergue (Cheergyms.com), Kathy Penree (CNY Storm), John Hebert (POWER), Roger Schonder (Stingrays), Debbie Love, Jamie Parrish (GA Allstars), Cheryl Pasinato (East Celebrity Elite), Theapia Best (Spirit Explosion), Brett Hansen (Spirit of Texas), Julie Gillaspie (Cheer Central Suns), TJ Sawyer (EC Cats), Tanya Roesel (Midwest Cheer Elite), Craig El (Ultimate Athletics), Kimberly Dickenson (Cheer Express), Cherokee Greendeer (Green Bay Elite), Jeff LeForce (Oklahoma Twisters), Becky Herrera (CheerForce)

Yes, they get comfortable, my daugther broker her ankle when she was 11 and she is know 16 and she still wears a brace on her ankle. She also tore her ACL in September and she has never worn a brace on her knee. She is tumbling and doing level 5 skills. She has also decided that she is only going to tumble no allstar 2012-2013 to ensure that when she returns in 2013-201 she is a 100%. I really hope they allow her to perform the skills she is taking the year off to ensure her technique is correct. Removing the skills from competition is not the answer, ensuring that the kids are required to do strengthing and conditioning would go a long way in eliminating some of the injuries. Football players spend their off season strengthing (weight lifting) and conditioning. Why can't cheer???? Why not make it requirment.

You bring up another huge point. Cheerleading does not have a off season. there is zero down time for the young body to recover from the season.

Like the above post and video show, there is an alarming increase of braces and injuries on the floor at any give competition. It seems to me that there is a get back at what ever the cost approach being taken by gyms, coaches, parents, and cheerleaders. Braces are not healthy by nature. They make the injury weaker. Owners, coaches and parents need to be held accountable. If my daughter is hurt, she is not on the floor until she has finished rehab.. period.

We also have to remember, our athletes are just that...athletes. My daughter DOES wear a knee brace, but not from cheerleading. She has knee pain from years of soccer and pivoting while she ran.

Edited to add...I replied to the original post then didn't see the others posting the same thing. Whoops!

Naw - They will release it in December... kinda like when they released the rules requiring boys to Coed Stunt on the Worlds Scoresheet.... AFTER we had tryouts and AFTER potential boys that could COED stunt didnt make the team because they didnt have a DOUBLE FULL.
On TOP OF THAT, it was released to be worth "25 points" then "oops I meant 5 pts" a month and a half (maybe 2) before Worlds.

You bring up another huge point. Cheerleading does not have a off season. there is zero down time for the young body to recover from the season.

I definitely agree with this. I wish there were at least 6 solid weeks that were considered off season.

I dont understand what you are implying

Elaine is part of the Coaches Congress. The Congress came up with 3 proposals to submit to the USASF to rebut the rules that the Congress was blind sided with. The Congress is the voice of the Owners, Coaches, Athletes, and Parents. And when you look at the list of names that are members on the Congress, it could be argued they are the true founders of ALL STAR CHEELEADING. A lot of people that are respected in the Industry for many years.

Members of the NACCC:
Elaine Pascale & Joelle Antico (World Cup), Victor & Kristin Rosario (Top Gun) Morton Bergue (Cheergyms.com), Kathy Penree (CNY Storm), John Hebert (POWER), Roger Schonder (Stingrays), Debbie Love, Jamie Parrish (GA Allstars), Cheryl Pasinato (East Celebrity Elite), Theapia Best (Spirit Explosion), Brett Hansen (Spirit of Texas), Julie Gillaspie (Cheer Central Suns), TJ Sawyer (EC Cats), Tanya Roesel (Midwest Cheer Elite), Craig El (Ultimate Athletics), Kimberly Dickenson (Cheer Express), Cherokee Greendeer (Green Bay Elite), Jeff LeForce (Oklahoma Twisters), Becky Herrera (CheerForce)

I think she meant that Elaine is a member of both the NACCC and the Board of Directors. So essentially, she is helping come up with a proposal to repreal/edit the rules she helped come up with that "blindsided" her.

I bleed gold and love everything Elaine has helped do for the industry, but even I agree it is a bit of a contradiction to be on committees/boards on both sides of this.

I would also like to add that I feel that the new 50%+1 rule is insane too. If that goes into place, what gives ANY gym any incentive to put more than 11 kids on a small team with the maximum skill allowed? If you score the SAME as a team with 20...why bother? I think full squad skills are amazing to watch and should be ENCOURAGED...not made to be irrelevant. SIGH :oops:

I think she meant that Elaine is a member of both the NACCC and the Board of Directors. So essentially, she is helping come up with a proposal to repreal/edit the rules she helped come up with that "blindsided" her.

I bleed gold and love everything Elaine has helped do for the industry, but even I agree it is a bit of a contradiction to be on committees/boards on both sides of this.

Yeah Something ahout a member being on the board as well as the NACCC at a time like this just seems a little off. She clearly helped come up with these rules, she is on the Board, but now she is helping come up with proposals that she will also have a part in approving. It doesn't sit well with me at all.
I love World Cup (I may be an F5 fan but Stars are a close second and I live for Ody) so me thinking this is wrong has nothing to do with the gym at all.

Yeah but everyone and their mother wants to take a team to worlds instead of going to the division they need to be in (restricted 5).

I haven't looked at the studies yet, but are they posted by an actual medical journal? If not then they don't hold much value.

This is so true! We wanted so badly to be able to go to worlds this year but its important to take the proper steps to get there. We are in the restricted division this year and We plan on being in the worlds division next year.

Back