All-Star Usasf Major Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What really keep my puzzled after reading through this whole thread: where are the gyms where all those janky fulls and doubles (and all the other janky tumbling one sees at competitions) are produced at?

Because in this thread I don't know how many people assured that "at my gym we follow through with progression and unless you have perfected your skills, you get not to work on the next skill".

I get the feeling that there are more coaches/parents/athletes that don't know what perfecting a skill before progressing to the next one is, than I ever thought possible...

I posted something about this in another thread regarding the change in tumbling rules, but I feel like it belongs here to.

Since USASF main purpose of changing the tumbling rules is to curve injuries, what is going to stop the athletes from throwing doubles and standing fulls at practice? Unless their coach strongly follows the rules, the athlete could still throw the skill, or even go to a gymnastics gym or tumble class to throw it. And since most injuries occur at practice and not competition, will these rules even do anything at all except hold back the sport?

What really keep my puzzled after reading through this whole thread: where are the gyms where all those janky fulls and doubles (and all the other janky tumbling one sees at competitions) are produced at?

Because in this thread I don't know how many people assured that "at my gym we follow through with progression and unless you have perfected your skills, you get not to work on the next skill".

I get the feeling that there are more coaches/parents/athletes that don't know what perfecting a skill before progressing to the next one is, than I ever thought possible...

There are a few gyms (coaches,athletes,and parents) that I have in mind who I haven't heard a peep from while I know that their tumbling can be a bit scary to watch because skills are not executed well at all.

Oh please, if they change the appearance and etiquette guidelines but leave the real issue (bottom age on seniors and tumbling) alone I will scream. I can get on board with the appearance stuff...whatever it doesn't hurt the sport. The bottom age on seniors will effectively take out some small gyms. If it was just Sr Restricted 5...okay. But to insist that every kid on your senior level 3 team be over 10? What they are asking gym owners to do is to exclude kids from the sport because they are "to advanced" or not advanced enough. Susie's parent's are going to high tail it for the nearest large gym that has a youth or junior 3 and probably take a majority of Susie's friends with them. Cheer parents can be vicious. Yes some will understand and be adults about it, taking their kids to another facility. But for every one of them there is a psycho behind them that will take it personally and try to take as many people with her as possible.
I can understand the concerns with tumbling but the way that it was "solved" is horrible. It would be akin to President Obama standing in front of Congress and saying, "I have decided to change x, y, and z! Don't like it? To bad." I don't like any governing body telling me what they think is best for me or my kid. You govern all star and I'll decided what she wears, what gym we go to, and who trains her.
Just to drop a little knowledge on the athletes screaming they'll go to gymnastics. Be prepared what you wish for. You will be doubling if not tripling your practice time. My cp was training 6-9 hours a week as a Preteam Level 3 (because you don't get to compete until your level 4 most places). When we moved to Texas...as a Level 4 competitive gymnast...20 HOURS A WEEK. They wanted her home schooled and doing 2 a days. Have a boyfriend? Forget it... Have a an "extra" activity you like to do? Drop it.... And what other posters have said is true also, you will be stripped down to your back handspring (if your lucky) and built back up. Now Power Tumbling and Acro may be different, and I believe that if kids do run for gymnastics that is the two areas they will be funneled into.
I still think USAG is gleefully rubbing their hands together in the corner waiting for this to all fall out. We have to many gold medalists that think we are pretty awesome and Amanda Borden herself just started an all star program of of her gym in AZ. What I personally think is happening is that they are trying to force the sport to look more like STUNT and A&T so parents can make the connection between All Star and what their kid can get a college scholarship in. Laugh all you want but we are one step away from long sleeve jerseys with numbers on the back.

Dear USASF Members,

Thank you to everyone providing feedback on the rules announcement yesterday, especially the tumbling concerns. The Rules Committee is using this in developing the specific rules and implementation in concert with the NACCC. The result will be forwarded to all members at the earliest possible date.

MissBee I am asking because I am confused and know you are an expert in both gymnastics and cheer; Are the long hours and strenuous conditioning that gymnast put themselves through more beneficial or harmful? My daughter was having serious leg pains, neck issues, etc. When I went to the doctor the first thing he told me was take her out of competitive gymnastics. He said it is too tough on growing bodies. He was comfortable with me keeping her in competitive all star cheer. What are your thoughts. I ask because in this thread many have made comments that portray gymnast and gymnastics as being safe and ideal. Is 20 hours a week really good for young bodies? Does this kind of training improve safety?

P.S. I do like that the gymnastics coaches are certified for the specific skills that they teach.

you can no longer click on the rules changes on usasf.net. I guess voices were heard and they are re-thinking some of there proposed changes??

Dear USASF Members,

Thank you to everyone providing feedback on the rules announcement yesterday, especially the tumbling concerns. The Rules Committee is using this in developing the specific rules and implementation in concert with the NACCC. The result will be forwarded to all members at the earliest possible date.
You beat me to it!

Back