All-Star Usasf Major Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I just want to thank Les, Courtney, and all the other coaches, gym owners, and athletes who have voiced their opinions on this. The fact that Les has been faced with all of this when he wasn't part of it is awful, but the man is taking it and trying his hardest to make it right. I think Les needs to be Chairman...

I'm certainly happy to hear all of this...

However I know there just going back maybe to the voting process and what not.

So I definitely hope any changes that are agreed upon are done soon because I know people have uniforms to order and teams to create. I'd certainly hate to see people placed or not placed on teams because of what hasn't happened yet.

MissBee I am asking because I am confused and know you are an expert in both gymnastics and cheer; Are the long hours and strenuous conditioning that gymnast put themselves through more beneficial or harmful? My daughter was having serious leg pains, neck issues, etc. When I went to the doctor the first thing he told me was take her out of competitive gymnastics. He said it is too tough on growing bodies. He was comfortable with me keeping her in competitive all star cheer. What are your thoughts. I ask because in this thread many have made comments that portray gymnast and gymnastics as being safe and ideal. Is 20 hours a week really good for young bodies? Does this kind of training improve safety?

P.S. I do like that the gymnastics coaches are certified for the specific skills that they teach.

My daughter came from gymnastics and the conditioning and technique taught makes a give difference. I really think that cheer should adapt some of things gymnastics does to condition their athletes from injuries. My daughter is 13 now and was taught property technique and throws multiple skills to doubles and has never been injured because of her form and her conditioning taught from gymnastics. She has been throwing doubles since she was 9 and twists at top of set which most cheerleaders don't do. I think the problem is not the risk it is the training and the rules in cheer. Add technique in tumbling scores and get better training for coaches would help.

Would it be so bad if not every kid makes a team in a given season? Sometime you sit out a season. Sometimes your skill level just doesn't have a good fit. If the gym you want to cheer at doesn't have a team to fit your kids skill level maybe they just don't make compete this year, but you keep up with the tumble classes and whatever else and next year they make the team...just like every other sport. Why is it in all-star cheer we think our kids ought to be guaranteed a spot on a team.

For example...We moved states mid season this year and my 11/12 year old cp picked a gym where she wanted to cheer and she went to try out with the owner. The team that she could have been placed on was full as was the team below. So the owner flat out said "I would love to have her but I just don't have a place for her right now that wouldn't put her back two levels and I don't like putting 11 year old on senior teams." The owner invited her to practice with the team but said she wasn't likely to compete unless there was an injury. Also offered her the tumble classes and then said "I don't want to hold her back if she wants to compete this season and I don't want to lose her to a different gym but I'd be happy to help you find another gym that might be able to take her this late in the season if she really wants to compete."

Another gym offered her a spot. She didn't take it but has continued tumble classes at both gyms and sat the season out. (Which was really weird as she has competed since she was five.) Pretty confident that that gym owner who was completely honest about what was available has won our business for 2012-2013. Integrity pays.

I hope now that it's in the Rules Committee more clarity and, proper channels will be utilized.

I just got this email:
Dear USASF Members,

Thank you to everyone providing feedback on the rules announcement yesterday, especially the tumbling concerns. The Rules Committee is using this in developing the specific rules and implementation in concert with the NACCC. The result will be forwarded to all members at the earliest possible date.

Jim Chadwick
President, USASF

Reallycoolcheermommy Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MissBee I am asking because I am confused and know you are an expert in both gymnastics and cheer; Are the long hours and strenuous conditioning that gymnast put themselves through more beneficial or harmful? My daughter was having serious leg pains, neck issues, etc. When I went to the doctor the first thing he told me was take her out of competitive gymnastics. He said it is too tough on growing bodies. He was comfortable with me keeping her in competitive all star cheer. What are your thoughts. I ask because in this thread many have made comments that portray gymnast and gymnastics as being safe and ideal. Is 20 hours a week really good for young bodies? Does this kind of training improve safety?

P.S. I do like that the gymnastics coaches are certified for the specific skills that they teach.

My Dr also told me to "pick one, gymnastics or cheer-your body can't handle doing both if you want to walk on your 30th birthday". I went with cheer b/c I knew that on a college gymnastics team I would still be in the gym tons and tons of hours, and that cheer would allow me to be more social than I was able to be in middle school and high school.
I think that most Drs are very quick to say "gymnastics is hard on your body", because it is! Cheer is still pretty "new", so many Drs aren't familiar with how demanding it is. They all think of high school or rec cheer when you say All Star. That's probably what happened with your Dr.

Dear USASF Members,

Thank you to everyone providing feedback on the rules announcement yesterday, especially the tumbling concerns. The Rules Committee is using this in developing the specific rules and implementation in concert with the NACCC. The result will be forwarded to all members at the earliest possible date.

I don't see the word revoked in that message. I got the same email and I didn't see it there either.

Now, it doesn't mean that they'll decide to leave things the same, but I don't really get the complete joy.

Back