All-Star Usasf New Grid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Can someone tell me what the reason is for the changes in standing tumbling for level 4 and 5R? Is standing tumbling becoming less important?

Can someone tell me what the reason is for the changes in standing tumbling for level 4 and 5R? Is standing tumbling becoming less important?
I can't say for certainty, but it is likely to make a more steady progression of skills through the levels. There was too much of a gap before, particularly between levels 3 and 4.

The Cheer Canada grid has Open (17+) 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 to encourage more adult participation for next season.

"Cheer Canada has created opportunities for young adults to continue to compete after they “age out” of Senior divisions by offering new Open categories for athletes aged 17 and older, as well as non-tumbling divisions enabling Long Term Athlete Development and cheerleading as a Sport For Life."

All Star Age Grids, 2018/19 – Cheer Canada – Canada's National Sport Organization for Cheerleading
My bad, it was definitely a post about Canadian cheer where I saw open 3. Lol. I'll be interested to see if any Canadian gyms or EPs offer any of these categories. Seems unlikely...

Can you expand on that?
With current rules, level 3 does standing series back handsprings. Level 4 you can do standing to whips/layouts, with connections of BHS in between. Essentially skipping standing bhs to tuck as layouts are what is expected to max out. This can lead to rushed progressions through standing to tuck and we see a lot of piked over/whipped layouts due to no set.
The new rules will max level 4 at standing handspring to tuck, allowing more focus on the set opposed to just whipping the legs over to get a "layout".

With current rules, level 3 does standing series back handsprings. Level 4 you can do standing to whips/layouts, with connections of BHS in between. Essentially skipping standing bhs to tuck as layouts are what is expected to max out. This can lead to rushed progressions through standing to tuck and we see a lot of piked over/whipped layouts due to no set.
The new rules will max level 4 at standing handspring to tuck, allowing more focus on the set opposed to just whipping the legs over to get a "layout".
Thank you. So a standing BH to tuck will not be a 3 skill anymore?

My bad, it was definitely a post about Canadian cheer where I saw open 3. Lol. I'll be interested to see if any Canadian gyms or EPs offer any of these categories. Seems unlikely...

I know where we are we offer anything on the age grid. Our gym is considering an Open 3.0 for our coaches to do. I know I’m young enough to stunt but far too old to learn to tumble! I think it’s a great idea to promote the sport to adults!

Last edited:
Got it. I kind of thought that but the way luv2cheer92 explained it, I thought I might have misunderstood that. I get it now.
Sorry. So instead of going standing handspring series to handspring to layout/allowed to do handspring-layout-handspring-layout all connected, it will be standing handspring series to handspring to tuck.

It's a thing already in the UK but I think this is just at the EP's discretion. BCA do it as I competed Open 2 at the weekend, however everyone in the divisions for that and level 3 were all 17 and over.

But then we allow over 18s in the senior divisions so I’ve found that open divisions tend to be uni teams. Though as I’m now on an open 2 team as well I’m hoping that the other big gyms start making them and we can have more competition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there such a thing as "progression" tumbling in cheer?

The thing to keep in mind is that every decision you see being made right now all centers on becoming a legitimate Olympic sport. So while we don't see a lot of "progression" tumbling right now, changes have to be made to institute it going further. When we were in the gymnastics world everything was progression. For example, just vaulting over....first they just jump off the springboard onto mats, then they handstand fall over onto their back, then they front handspring off the springboard onto their back, then to their feet, then they bring in something to go over...it takes a long time before that athlete ACTUALLY handsprings over an actual vault.
You are going to see a lot more kids being at the same level for an extended period of time, until that front roll is perfect. I predict we will see more levels considering other tumbling sports go to 10. The age progression will also move more to a standardized FIFA scale like we are seeing with IASF.
Personally, I'm excited because we are going to see less injuries, less burnout, and more appropriate age/skill progression then we have now.

Back