All-Star Usasf New Grid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The thing to keep in mind is that every decision you see being made right now all centers on becoming a legitimate Olympic sport. So while we don't see a lot of "progression" tumbling right now, changes have to be made to institute it going further. When we were in the gymnastics world everything was progression. For example, just vaulting over....first they just jump off the springboard onto mats, then they handstand fall over onto their back, then they front handspring off the springboard onto their back, then to their feet, then they bring in something to go over...it takes a long time before that athlete ACTUALLY handsprings over an actual vault.
You are going to see a lot more kids being at the same level for an extended period of time, until that front roll is perfect. I predict we will see more levels considering other tumbling sports go to 10. The age progression will also move more to a standardized FIFA scale like we are seeing with IASF.
Personally, I'm excited because we are going to see less injuries, less burnout, and more appropriate age/skill progression then we have now.
Yep I taught gymnastics for many years and I am amazed at tumbling teaching sometimes!!! Also how some skills are thrown at comps!

I can't seem tp to get over the idea that there will be so many divisions next year. As it is, we sometimes go to comps where multiple divisions end up having no competition. When more divisions are added, it will happen even more often. Which really waters down the experience for me as a spectator. And I suspect that some gyms will choose their division strategically to avoid competing against other particular gyms.

This is more likely scenario for lower level teams at regional comps. But that's generally what our gym attends. I guess the new goal is high score of the day.

Yes, I'm quoting myself. I am looking at a comp schedule for this weekend. There are 11 all star divisions with only one team. This is really a showcase event, not a competition.

The thing to keep in mind is that every decision you see being made right now all centers on becoming a legitimate Olympic sport. So while we don't see a lot of "progression" tumbling right now, changes have to be made to institute it going further. When we were in the gymnastics world everything was progression. For example, just vaulting over....first they just jump off the springboard onto mats, then they handstand fall over onto their back, then they front handspring off the springboard onto their back, then to their feet, then they bring in something to go over...it takes a long time before that athlete ACTUALLY handsprings over an actual vault.
You are going to see a lot more kids being at the same level for an extended period of time, until that front roll is perfect. I predict we will see more levels considering other tumbling sports go to 10. The age progression will also move more to a standardized FIFA scale like we are seeing with IASF.
Personally, I'm excited because we are going to see less injuries, less burnout, and more appropriate age/skill progression then we have now.

Now, I don't know how to make partial quotes but yes to the gymnastics progression example above. My CP does all of her tumbling training at a gymnastics gym and I have learned a lot via observation and asking questions about how gymnastics progression works and the vaulting progression is an excellent example. CP was also not allowed to move onto the next tumbling skill UNTIL she perfected not just threw it but PERFECTED each skill starting from the power hurdle. But moving along to the sentence in bold. I remember the first competition my CP's great gram came to see and she was amazed at seeing so many "little children" as she said that were on crutches, in casts, and the knee braces I recall her saying "I haven't seen this many body braces in one spot and i'm 87!" So yes, if these changes will lower injuries in general I can get with it.

I can't seem tp to get over the idea that there will be so many divisions next year. As it is, we sometimes go to comps where multiple divisions end up having no competition. When more divisions are added, it will happen even more often. Which really waters down the experience for me as a spectator. And I suspect that some gyms will choose their division strategically to avoid competing against other particular gyms.

This is more likely scenario for lower level teams at regional comps. But that's generally what our gym attends. I guess the new goal is high score of the day.

The new goal in all stars is to make sure that every little kid gets to wear a national championship jacket. I'm surprised they don't have a neonatal level 0.0 division. Two minutes and thirty seconds of laying on a cheer floor drooling and whoever's diapers are filled the most get the jacket.

That may be the goal, but I challenge that it will ever achieve buy-in from the masses. Cheer has a history of throwing caution to the wind and allowing kids to perform skills they have no business (or hope) attempting to execute.

Plus the "gradual change" approach would not be the most efficient method of doing so. If this is truly the goal, then it needs to be DONE, and it needs to be done despite the resistance of the major players in the game. If someone wants this type of change to occur, it's going to require a backbone, and the USASF is wayyyyy to0 amoeba-like for that.

Sorry. So instead of going standing handspring series to handspring to layout/allowed to do handspring-layout-handspring-layout all connected, it will be standing handspring series to handspring to tuck.

Sorry late to the game here, but just want to clarify that means no standing whip passes ending in tuck in Level 4 next year? What about whips in running tumbling? My CPs current gym has the old skills still listed for pre-tryout skills and want to be sure before opening my big mouth. Thanks!

Sorry late to the game here, but just want to clarify that means no standing whip passes ending in tuck in Level 4 next year? What about whips in running tumbling? My CPs current gym has the old skills still listed for pre-tryout skills and want to be sure before opening my big mouth. Thanks!
Not 100% sure on standing, but I believe running is still the same as it's been. I don't have access to the rules to check, but I don't think whips are allowed in standing, but I could be wrong about that.

Not 100% sure on standing, but I believe running is still the same as it's been. I don't have access to the rules to check, but I don't think whips are allowed in standing, but I could be wrong about that.
In the past whips were for standing, is there a reason the rules are now top secret now? Do we have anyone with access that is will to post them? If not I can go to Justin but if I get it from him I probably cannot share it.

In the past whips were for standing, is there a reason the rules are now top secret now? Do we have anyone with access that is will to post them? If not I can go to Justin but if I get it from him I probably cannot share it.
Any athlete/parent that controls an athlete's USASF account or coach has access to the rules. The rules have been protected on the USASF site for the current season as well, though I believe there is a site or 2 that shared them. I know whips are currently allowed in standing, but I don't believe they will be allowed next season. They should still be allowed in running though.

I am just a Cheer Mom. I can see it, but doesn't work when I post the link.

Back