USASF off the hook, why?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Personal opinion - I think everyone, Worlds included, should just use last year's NCA scoresheet and be done with it. (I don't like the new Varsity one that much.)

Just curious what you dont like about the new one?

I do like it, but it took a minute to get used to.

Far too much vague "wiggle room" for judges. I don't want a boring, completely objective scoresheet, but I think the Varsity one is too far towards the subjective side. The old NCA one was nearly perfect, IMO.

After watching the teams this past weekend, the one thing I don't like about the Varsity scoresheet is the "no deduction for hands down in tumbling/bobbled stunts" rule. Incomplete tumbling is incomplete tumbling whether it's hands down or knees or butt. I saw some pretty major bobbled stunts, too, and I guarantee you a .5 deduction would be more than the points taken off of their execution score.

Like many other things we're discussing on this part of the board, I like the idea, but I think it just needs to be adjusted, and with time, I do believe (or at least hope) that that will happen.

McLovin said:
After watching the teams this past weekend, the one thing I don't like about the Varsity scoresheet is the "no deduction for hands down in tumbling/bobbled stunts" rule. Incomplete tumbling is incomplete tumbling whether it's hands down or knees or butt. I saw some pretty major bobbled stunts, too, and I guarantee you a .5 deduction would be more than the points taken off of their execution score.

Like many other things we're discussing on this part of the board, I like the idea, but I think it just needs to be adjusted, and with time, I do believe (or at least hope) that that will happen.

I think this is another reason why we aren't ready to just jump into a universal scoresheet

This conversation really tickles me in a way. I've said this before, but USASF is not a dictatorship that violently overthrew the governing body. It was formed and has had to get buy in from event producers, coaches, gyms and parents. There has been a lot of progress made and I will fully agree that there is a long way to go.

But are any of you currently saying that USASF should dictate A or dictate B the same people that were screaming when they added the 4.2 division in the middle of the summer? What about having age changes (tweaks) each year? Did that bother you?

If everyone is so completely in favor of a universal score sheet, then have a gym owner or coach propose it this fall, have it passed at NACCC next January and there you go! Event producers probably won't have any issues with it.

You can also talk to your USASF rep and volunteer to serve on one of the many committees that work on issues.

Lots of these things will eventually change, but it's not likely to be overnight.

And everyone needs to keep in mind about paying for some of these things (like certifying judges). I am 100% in favor of it, but the money has to come from some where. USASF can't print it like Washington can.

I think a layer of transparency would help the USASF. Sometimes it feels like things just 'pop up' out of nowhere

Kingston said:
I think a layer of transparency would help the USASF. Sometimes it feels like things just 'pop up' out of nowhere

This is my grail.

I don't think that USASF should pay for judges to be certified. I think if a judge wants to judge at a major event then they should be required to pay to be certified. I believe that major events pay more for their judges so they should be required to be legit.

scflips said:
I don't think that USASF should pay for judges to be certified. I think if a judge wants to judge at a major event then they should be required to pay to be certified. I believe that major events pay more for their judges so they should be required to be legit.

Even the biggest cheer competitions don't really pay that well as far as judges go...

KB_Legend said:
scflips said:

Even the biggest cheer competitions don't really pay that well as far as judges go...

Most certified positions pay for their own education and testing.....Real Estate agents, Plumbers, Architects, Electricians, etc etc etc

KB_Legend said:
scflips said:

Really? Then they should be judging high school becasue I know what those judges make and it kind of makes me sick.

I think if competition companies have never had to pay that much for judging before it is a hard pill to swallow to start paying more. BUT, you cannot expect outcomes to change if you're always doing things the same way. (isnt that one of the defintions of insanity? heh)

Figure Skating, unfortunately, had to go through a major embarrassing scandal to get them to revamp their system to be as full proof as they could. When exposed out there like that I think it didn't matter what skaters or events thought the system had to solid. It was a major reinvention and there was transition time, but from what I saw at the Olympics a week or so ago I think it really works.

Figure Skating is a sport that is very close to ours in a lot of ways. There is a good deal of subjectivity in performance and there are some objective skill categories that also get scored somewhat subjectively. I feel like there was probably a time when there were many different scoresheets available in ice skating and winners might have been decided by who had the 'cutest' routines (I don't think they would use the word Fierce).

I feel like that whole situation could help cheerleading determine how to move forward.

If judges were better paid, the job would be viewed as more desirable and people would be more willing to pay to become certified. There needs to be set minimum, and then event producers can tweak it to get the best as necessary.

As a personal trainer I had to pay to get a certification. Those with a certification are paid a certain minimum per hour. Those without don't get hired. It is desirable to be a certified personal trainer because you get paid $25-$50 per hour and up. If I only got $10 per hour I would have never paid the fee to get certified. The American College of Sports Medicine did not pay ME to get certified, I paid the $500 to do it so I could earn the good wages.

USASF should not pay for the judges to get certified. Event producers need to up the wages and set a standard minimum rate for them, a high rate, so that judges are willing to pay the fee to get certified on their own.

Latest posts

Back