USASF off the hook, why?

Discussion in 'Discussing the Cheerleading Industry' started by scflips, Feb 25, 2010.

1. ACEDAD

ACEDAD Named "Best Veteran" meaning "Most Attractive". National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    billpresson
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Verified Member:
    Bill Presson
    USASF Hall of Fame Member
    I don't think the issue is with the coaches/gyms. The issue is with the event producers. How do you make them happy?

Most of them feel their scoresheet is what makes gyms choose to compete with them.

How do they get on board?

2. scflips

scflips Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    ACEDAD I completely understand what you are saying. As a gym we have the power to choose which events to attend.

I don't want to be a person that gets a group of gyms together and say "hey lets not go to company (x) bc we don't like their scoresheet. I don't think that is the right way to go about things but I want to know how BEST to get it done another way. I think each event has many positives and I want to be on board with supporting each event for their positives.

Location, production, bids, gifts, costs these are all things that make a company different. Levels and age grids have been implemented by ALL companys to level the playing the field and increase competitiveness throughout cheerleading.

Many of the gyms I talk to choose a competition based on location, cost and competition (teams in attendance). Yes scoresheet comes into play but I don't think that is the #1 reason gyms choose an event. I feel that companys will continue to get #'s regardless of their scoresheet. Company #'s have fluxuated based on the number of bids they are giving and people have somewhat been forced to go to these competitions bc they need the bids. (Yes I know there is more to cheerleading than Worlds but lets be honest gyms prefer to attend as a whole where they have the best chance to get a bid if they can).

Ok lets say your not choosing an event based on a bid, it would benefit your gym if whatever event you went to helped you prepare for the next.

3. Mclovin

Mclovin Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I agree with scflips (again! lol) I don't think most gyms choose what competition they attend based on the scoresheet as the deciding factor. I think it's 1) location, 2) cost, 3) bids. The only gyms that #3 wouldn't apply to are the small gyms not seeking bids. I know our gym has continued to go to competitions that we aren't giddy about their scoresheets, but we still continue to attend. I honestly don't think any company would see a decrease in their attendance just because their scoresheet changed. However, on the flip side of that, I DO think you would see a company's numbers decrease if they were no longer giving out bids to worlds...

4. BlueCat

BlueCat Roses are red, cats are blue National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    jodymelton
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    Verified Member:
    Jody Melton
    Owner of Cheer Athletics
    I can't think of a single time that we went to a competition because of the unique crafting of a scoresheet. We may have avoided some because they were different from the norm we were used to.

In other words, using a substantially different system from everyone else is much more likely to be a negative than a positive.

This is a big a no-brainer to me as standardizing the age grid and safety guidelines was. (Both of which were initially opposed by many event producers for similar reasons.) The bigger problem is simply deciding which scoring system to use.

5. scflips

scflips Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I think WHEN the universal scoresheet FINALLY gets put into affect, the "perfect" scoresheet will take some time to get right. But my thing is that regardless of what the scoresheet says, everyone will benefit.

6. Level5Mom

Level5Mom Best Parent

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    ...and when we finally get it, can we please also apply it to the International divisions? "The Best" in the USA should not be different from "The Best" in the World.

7. BlueCat

BlueCat Roses are red, cats are blue National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    jodymelton
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    Verified Member:
    Jody Melton
    Owner of Cheer Athletics
    I agree. It is very frustrating to have to build a team around the International scoresheet (heavy on stunts, light on tumbling), but have to qualify on "regular" scoresheets. VERY often, the teams that are best suited to do well at Worlds get beat out for bids during the year by teams that will have a difficult time at Worlds.

It is like picking who will run the 100M Sprint for you at the Olympics by having a high jump contest among the hopefuls.

8. Mclovin

Mclovin Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Just wanted to point out that on this very board, if you go read 90% of the posts dealing with competitions, people are saying that they are upset with Company A because of the way they are handling their bids, or they are going to reconsider going to Company B because of the way they are handling their bids. Not once has someone said they will not return to a company because of their scoresheet. Bottom line -- it's all about the bids and gyms will go to the competitions offering bids regardless of their scoresheet.