Varsity's Monopoly

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by SL&AM, Jan 15, 2020.

1. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the Premier Athletics gym franchise is/was owned by Varsity.

This was a while back so I don't know if in 2020 that is still the case.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. OldskoolKYcheercoach

OldskoolKYcheercoach There are Cheeropedia articles about me!

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    that would be the one.

Attending a camp at a premier gym gets your team “credentialed” for HS nationals.

Doing choreography and training at a premier gym gets you special practice mats at HS nationals.

It’s not really a big secret.

3. tojofasho

tojofasho I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    MsCoachMartin
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    They just expanded this requirement as well, making USA 'Nationals' require credentialing starting next season (75% or more of your team must attend a Varsity camp in order to be able to compete). Super frustrating, the two major reasons we attend USA is because #1 we don't have the skill for NHSCC, and #2 the financial aspect of the season. And now you're telling me I have to tack on a $300 commuter camp in order to spend $500 on Nationals? Gotta love the monopoly

4. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    UIL is becoming popular in Texas for High School Cheer. Is UIL tied to Varsity?

5. luv2cheer92

luv2cheer92 Moderator Staff Member Bracket Winner Video Curator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    UIL is the Texas high school sports league. It's what runs the state championships and playoffs, etc and essentially governs all Texas high school sports/activities. So no.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. OldskoolKYcheercoach

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Have them come do a home camp? $150 a person for the 2-day variety (unless they’ve raised the cost for that. I admittedly havent opened my camp catalog yet).

7. weheartcheer

weheartcheer I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    Their state championship is run by Varsity

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Serious question. Do you really think government is going to step in for cheerleading, especially when government specifically uses sports to bring in money?

Without a doubt I want some of these requirements challenged legally. However, people are going to have to open their eyes that the same legal issues with schools transporting athletes across state lines create loopholes and business opportunities to get around them. I'm guessing that's where the rule "must attend accredited camp" nonsense came from. I would hope parents would put pressure on school officials to challenge the legality of that requirement, but you can't ignore the fact that most of those camps take place on government owned properties and get a good portion of those expensive camps. In the case where Webb admitted requiring merchandise purchase for additional points, wouldn't you hope our legal system would fine him for admitting that and require him to cease that practice? Did they? If not, no one should be giving money to that comp.

I own up to the fact I defend Varsity on STP, but only to the extent I've noticed too many of these questionable big money requirements end up revolving around and requiring government owned facilities and land. It's happening in all youth sports, not just with Varsity.

9. SL&AM

SL&AM Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Are people willing to take him on though? That is where I think the buck stops.

People get disgruntled and they complain, but no one is hiring lawyers and pooling people together. They either do 1 of 2 things: They pull their kids from the sports because they don't want to deal with it anymore or they put up with it quietly so their child isn't unfairly targeted/affected.

Until people are willing to challenge the legality of Varsity, the government isn't going to bother.

10. catlady

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I don't think you are understanding what I wrote. Government property is involved in those questionable and money making STP and Camp requirements, and government is taking in HUGE money because of them.

Also, there is no longer a "him," there's Bain Capital.

11. caffeineandglitter

caffeineandglitter Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
  12. catlady

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    MLB News: Supreme Court Yet Again Declines to Strike Down MLB's Anti-Trust Exemption

Washington Post's: How the Government Helps the NFL Maintain It's Power and Profitability
    *The NFL's Anti Trust exemption is limited.

Forbes: Sports Industry to Reach $73.5 Billion by 2019

The Supreme Court has said repeatedly the MLB's exemptions do not fit within the guidelines of interstate commerce regulation affairs and sport regulation needs to be handled at the congressional level. Let's be honest, if Congress takes away those anti-trust exemptions, the government stands to lose a lot of money. The government has funded stadiums and infrastructure with taxpayer money and in return promised hundreds of billions in sport revenue to taxpayers. Cue the battle for media rights, another area where Congress has applied special anti-trust exemptions.

13. chardaeeeee

chardaeeeee I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
  14. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Conversation” we will let you film for a % $$$”. Anything for a buck!

15. OldskoolKYcheercoach

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    That’s what makes the world go round