Varsity's Monopoly

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by SL&AM, Jan 15, 2020.

1. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Has any gym’s team been DQ d or threatened for not using STP? I have always wondered about that....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  2. coacha

coacha I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Do you have proof of this? I really don't see the 90% of uniform market control. Outside of the all-star world (rec & school, which are both really big), Varsity does not have a big stronghold. I've coach at a handful of those programs and none of them used Varsity OR Rebel. They use much cheaper, no name brands. Throw in the gyms that use Rebel and I just don't see them controlling 90% of the uniform market.

3. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    i find that hard to believe. There are a lot of smaller and cheaper uniform companies that provide for high school cheer. I volunteer assistant coached for my old high school cheer one year in college and they used some unknown small brand name for their uniforms. And i guarantee a lot of high schools go through other affordable options before turning to varsity.

allstar cheer sure i believe they control A LOT. But even then with rebel i doubt they are controlling 90% at this point.

4. tojofasho

tojofasho I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    MsCoachMartin
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    I don't think it's up to 90%, but I will say that Varsity has something called the Mohave grant for high school/rec teams in Title I or high-poverty schools that make them pretty much the exact same price as those cheaper uniform companies. It's a blanket 10% discount and free shipping on every single item (even just one pair or spandex, still ships for free), and it applies on top of other discounts. I know personally my Varsity rep can get uniform prices down to like $150 that would usually be $200+.

5. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Varsity is awful!!!now colleges can’t do documentaries if they want to compete at NCA???? What ! Next is AS! But they are not controlling!!!

6. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    IDK, I could believe it. Growing up, we only used Varsity. Every single school I went to. There was no one else. And even though there are more options now, I think brand loyalty goes a long way toward something as headache-y as ordering cheer uniforms. I would imagine people who used Varsity thirty years ago would still be using them just because they have a relationship with them and don’t want to switch. I still use them for sideline unis out of sheer force of habit, and we’d probably still use them for comp unis if we hadn’t won new unis from Rebel a few years ago in a giveaway. It literally took 30 free unis and a few grand in savings for me to even look at another company. Habits die hard, and that could work in Varsity’s favor.

7. Hoosea

Hoosea I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Sure I can send you citations etc. I’m traveling internationally these next few days so WiFi is spoty

8. Hoosea

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Proof of my comments are more than easy to provide - fixing this mess is where the problems arise

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  9. Hoosea

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    And unfortunately brand loyalty isn’t the issue here. It’s hard for me to explain via messaging the intricate web known as Varsity that exist in this sport. It’s pervasive and each Varsity, or organizations controlled by Varsity, nitch (ie insurance, camps, training) funnels into another Varsity controlled Nitch. Jeff Web said it best when he subtly “warned” the cheer world a decade ago that his vision was to create a one stop shop and eliminate choices.

10. Hoosea

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    It’s a tangled web (no pun intended) because the powers that be don’t want everyday people like you and me to fully grasp how pervasive Varsity’s control really is. Most of us can understand score sheets and consider it a victory because Varsity is sometimes allowing EP’s to actually share the score sheets. Those little pieces of paper WE PAY FOR. Start looking at the bigger issues and doing ALL the leg work to sort it all out is a whole nother level of commitment.

11. Hoosea

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    My daughters new comp cheer uniform, from of course Varsity, was $700. Their able to give breaks to Title 1 schools etc because in addition to that cheer uniform, I like the thousands of other parents out there, have also paid them in the 19/20 season for memberships, insurance, training, the ability to watch cheer comps on TV, being held at publicly funded venues, comp fees, hotels etc etc etc. And guess what you’ve probably paid some of the those cost as well. They aren’t giving you, or me, or anyone else, on a break on uniforms. We’ve reimbursed them for that break 10 times over.

12. Hoosea

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    A
    And UIL is one of MANY State High School Sport Associations that Varsity serves as the sole provider of uniforms, training, insurance, certifications etc WHILE being responsible for determining the rules, enforcing those rules (or not) AND serving as the sole Event Provider. Welcome to the world of Varsity.

13. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Why does varsity care what navarro did, but hasnt cared for years about smoed and reckless filming at comps...

14. Hoosea

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I could be wrong but I don’t STP has anything to do with whether it’s an event held at a publicly funded facility. It’s driven by EP’s (most of which are owned by Varsity) and is based on the following factors: Tier 3: Housing Not Required; Tier 2: Housing is required at select Two Day Events. Benefits could include things like rebates, comp rooms, team rooms, etc.; Tier 1: Housing is required for Worlds Bid EventS & select City Wide Events.

15. Hoosea

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Until it became profitable by forming an alliance with FloSports - who pays Varsity to be the only vendor to be able to film and sell to us.