All-Star Varsity's Monopoly

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

^Second the call for sources! While I definitely agree with your point that it is HIGHLY unlike that there would be a government antitrust enforcement action against cheer or any youth sports (too much $$ at stake!), I would be so interested to see the discovery in a private antitrust lawsuit! It would be nuts!

Personally, if there was a private lawsuit, I do think there's at least an argument to be made that the the MLB antitrust exception doesn't apply in the case of youth sports (especially those like cheer, which advertise "national" championship after national championship--hard to say interstate commerce is "incidental" to cheer when everything is aimed "nationally"). And I think a court would take a dim view of the same company setting the rules for uniforms and selling the uniforms--especially when that company can change the rules, like the full-top rule, and make everyone buy new uniforms.... But at the same time, the courts have been so hesitant to chip away at the sports exception--it's a tough call.
^Second the call for sources! While I definitely agree with your point that it is HIGHLY unlike that there would be a government antitrust enforcement action against cheer or any youth sports (too much $$ at stake!), I would be so interested to see the discovery in a private antitrust lawsuit! It would be nuts!

Personally, if there was a private lawsuit, I do think there's at least an argument to be made that the the MLB antitrust exception doesn't apply in the case of youth sports (especially those like cheer, which advertise "national" championship after national championship--hard to say interstate commerce is "incidental" to cheer when everything is aimed "nationally"). And I think a court would take a dim view of the same company setting the rules for uniforms and selling the uniforms--especially when that company can change the rules, like the full-top rule, and make everyone buy new uniforms.... But at the same time, the courts have been so hesitant to chip away at the sports exception--it's a tough call.

There's an argument, however, I don't think it would be strong enough even if someone was willing to fight Congress first and Varsity second. There are actually a plethora of cheer uniform companies to choose from if you don't want to give Varsity your uniform business. CHEER UNIFORMS

I have tried to find the various state laws concerning HS athletes attending sanctioned and non-sanctioned events, but the fact remains the majority of these camps, take place on government property. As far as STP, a private convention center owner can't make people stay at certain hotels and why would they? My aha moment was when I read an article from 2015, where a private convention center owner was fighting a bill that would allow government owned convention centers to use hotel tax dollars to use as incentives to get business for their government owned convention center....but, not the privately owned. Most would agree that's a glaring unfair business practice, but evidently it's okay if it's the government. ARTICLE

TIME Magazine quote: And municipalities that once vied for minor-league teams are now banking on youth sports to boost local economies, issuing bonds for lavish complexes that they hope will lure glove-toting tykes and their families. Tourism Commission Pushes for Broader Use of Hotel Tax Dollars
The New York Times ....I could post hundreds of these types of articles.

There's an argument, however, I don't think it would be strong enough even if someone was willing to fight Congress first and Varsity second. There are actually a plethora of cheer uniform companies to choose from if you don't want to give Varsity your uniform business. CHEER UNIFORMS

I have tried to find the various state laws concerning HS athletes attending sanctioned and non-sanctioned events, but the fact remains the majority of these camps, take place on government property. As far as STP, a private convention center owner can't make people stay at certain hotels and why would they? My aha moment was when I read an article from 2015, where a private convention center owner was fighting a bill that would allow government owned convention centers to use hotel tax dollars to use as incentives to get business for their government owned convention center....but, not the privately owned. Most would agree that's a glaring unfair business practice, but evidently it's okay if it's the government. ARTICLE

TIME Magazine quote: And municipalities that once vied for minor-league teams are now banking on youth sports to boost local economies, issuing bonds for lavish complexes that they hope will lure glove-toting tykes and their families. Tourism Commission Pushes for Broader Use of Hotel Tax Dollars
The New York Times ....I could post hundreds of these types of articles.

I’m not an expert on anti trust but I don’t think the MLB exemption applies here (nor do I understand how MLB gets away with this nonsense). I do think that there’s other perhaps less cumbersome and effective ways to dismantle Varsity’s lynch hold

Varsity is awful!!!now colleges can’t do documentaries if they want to compete at NCA???? What ! Next is AS! But they are not controlling!!!

Do we have some sort of explanation of this policy. It’s not new and it’s been in effect for at least a couple seasons. I admit I never caught it but that whole section including possible sanctions for publicly criticizing Varsity is flat out scary stuff. Who thinks that’s ok? What, honestly, have we passively allowed to happen to a sport our kids love? Seriously.

It’s a tangled web (no pun intended) because the powers that be don’t want everyday people like you and me to fully grasp how pervasive Varsity’s control really is. Most of us can understand score sheets and consider it a victory because Varsity is sometimes allowing EP’s to actually share the score sheets. Those little pieces of paper WE PAY FOR. Start looking at the bigger issues and doing ALL the leg work to sort it all out is a whole nother level of commitment.

Oh that's the reason, this explains everything.

Sure I can send you citations etc. I’m traveling internationally these next few days so WiFi is spoty

Your posts are coming through no problem, go ahead and post your sources on uniform market share, the camp land they own, and Varsity's debt to income ratio and their buy out. It's sound like you have researched a lot and I can't wait to read it all.

While it continues to be debated, I posted earlier in the thread, the Supreme Court actually deemed sport issues a Congressional matter and not anti-trust.

IDK, I could believe it. Growing up, we only used Varsity. Every single school I went to. There was no one else. And even though there are more options now, I think brand loyalty goes a long way toward something as headache-y as ordering cheer uniforms. I would imagine people who used Varsity thirty years ago would still be using them just because they have a relationship with them and don’t want to switch. I still use them for sideline unis out of sheer force of habit, and we’d probably still use them for comp unis if we hadn’t won new unis from Rebel a few years ago in a giveaway. It literally took 30 free unis and a few grand in savings for me to even look at another company. Habits die hard, and that could work in Varsity’s favor.
But 90% of the market? That’s 9 out of 10 teams. I have coached at 2 rec programs (both over 100 kids) and 3 high schools in the last 20 years. Neither of the rec programs used Varsity at all and of the HS teams, only one did religiously with the other 2 only occasionally had Varsity (and that’s with the Title I discount...). Admittedly, my own personal uniforms were Varsity in college although I haven’t the foggiest idea what my HS ones were. That’s like a 50% market share there. I realize AS is a whole other beast, but is Rebel only accounting for 1 out of every 10 teams? It sure doesn’t look like it from the outside.

But 90% of the market? That’s 9 out of 10 teams. I have coached at 2 rec programs (both over 100 kids) and 3 high schools in the last 20 years. Neither of the rec programs used Varsity at all and of the HS teams, only one did religiously with the other 2 only occasionally had Varsity (and that’s with the Title I discount...). Admittedly, my own personal uniforms were Varsity in college although I haven’t the foggiest idea what my HS ones were. That’s like a 50% market share there. I realize AS is a whole other beast, but is Rebel only accounting for 1 out of every 10 teams? It sure doesn’t look like it from the outside.

Lol, I've already deemed her "Hoosaid."

Do we have some sort of explanation of this policy. It’s not new and it’s been in effect for at least a couple seasons. I admit I never caught it but that whole section including possible sanctions for publicly criticizing Varsity is flat out scary stuff. Who thinks that’s ok? What, honestly, have we passively allowed to happen to a sport our kids love? Seriously.
I just wonder how they can even do this....

Until it became profitable by forming an alliance with FloSports - who pays Varsity to be the only vendor to be able to film and sell to us.
but varsity has had control of so many of the comps those teams have been to and have never once pitched a fit over filming. Maybe because they dont see youtube views as profitable as netflix?!?! which yeah i guess makes sense, but i guarantee awesomenesstv has made a pretty penny from those videos over the years.

I just wonder how they can even do this....
You can’t do a documentary on the NFL without getting their permission and paying them, so there’s some precedent. And yes I realize that’s professional versus youth sports, but I imagine the little league World Series is similar. Anyone know what USA Gymnastics rules are?

but varsity has had control of so many of the comps those teams have been to and have never once pitched a fit over filming. Maybe because they dont see youtube views as profitable as netflix?!?! which yeah i guess makes sense, but i guarantee awesomenesstv has made a pretty penny from those videos over the years.

They’ve been cherry picking and taking those videos down for years. Way back it was actually been against the rules to even bring video cameras into events. Security would stop you at the door. I remember when gyms were penalized for parents violating that rule. The opening finally came with cell phones and the implementation of Facebook Live. They tried their hardest to squash that to. That’s what they do and that’s been their business model for over a decade.

You can’t do a documentary on the NFL without getting their permission and paying them, so there’s some precedent. And yes I realize that’s professional versus youth sports, but I imagine the little league World Series is similar. Anyone know what USA Gymnastics rules are?

Thank you! Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if it's a youth sport, all use the MLB and NFL as their business models for success. Like it or not, many youth sports have partnered with FloSports when it comes to their media rights. With that said, people really do need to be careful what they wish for. One great Netflix documentary does not mean they have the kids, parents, coaches, owners, or cheer in their best interest. @Hoosea mentioned the Penn and Teller documentary, which later on PennPoint, Penn said ShowTime made them do that segment thinking the mention of cheerleaders would get people to watch because of all the T&A and good jokes. Video Forward to 30 second mark for his exact words.

USA Gymnastics Rules:

Television/Video
NBC Sports maintains the exclusive right to broadcast USA Gymnastics championship events. Local and non-rights-holding news crews must sign the guidelines that govern access to each event. They may be allowed the following access, pending approval of USA Gymnastics and NBC Sports

• Tape or produce live segments on-site up to 20 minutes prior to the start of each session.
  • Interviews with athletes, coaches and other event personnel prior to and following competition in designated media areas.
  • Tape designated training sessions at competition venue only.
  • No live or taped competitive footage may be used without approval.
Any use of competition video without written permission from NBC Sports is prohibited.
In the event NBC is not present, USA Gymnastics may allow expanded event access to local news affiliates. Please contact a USA Gymnastics representative for broadcast restrictions and approved camera positions within the arena. USA Gymnastics reserves the right to restrict access to any video or audio recording devices at any time without notice. Prior approval and notification of presence is required in all cases. All interviews must be pre-arranged with USA Gymnastics.

By applying for a credential, you are agreeing to the above policy. Application for credentials does not guarantee approval.

i find that hard to believe. There are a lot of smaller and cheaper uniform companies that provide for high school cheer. I volunteer assistant coached for my old high school cheer one year in college and they used some unknown small brand name for their uniforms. And i guarantee a lot of high schools go through other affordable options before turning to varsity.

allstar cheer sure i believe they control A LOT. But even then with rebel i doubt they are controlling 90% at this point.

You are aware that BSN has been buying up uniform companies in earnest these last couple years.
Oh that's the reason, this explains everything.

Your posts are coming through no problem, go ahead and post your sources on uniform market share, the camp land they own, and Varsity's debt to income ratio and their buy out. It's sound like you have researched a lot and I can't wait to read it all.

While it continues to be debated, I posted earlier in the thread, the Supreme Court actually deemed sport issues a Congressional matter and not anti-trust.

As I said I’m traveling but here’s some citations to get you started

In 2019 Varsity controlled 80% of cheer events - both all star and high school - that’s 600 events in total. They control 90% (SHOULD STATE 80%) of uniform market

The business of cheer | Fortune

The Business Behind Cheerleading
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 By Reid Van Mouwerik

https://cheerwatchdog.wordpress.com

Netflix cheerleading docuseries sheds light on $2B industry | Fox Business

Meet Rebel Athletic, the $20 Million Custom Cheerleading Uniform Startup Living Up to Its Name | Inc.com

Cheerleading has evolved into a billion-dollar business

Varsity Brands Founder On The Big Business Of Cheerleading

This is Not a Democracy, It's a Cheerocracy: The Cheerleading Monopoly Varsity Brands
Matt Stoller, 2019
This is Not a Democracy, It's a Cheerocracy: The Cheerleading Monopoly Varsity Brands - BIG by Matt Stoller

https://www.investors.com/news/mana...ding-with-focus-on-athleticism-entertainment/

“The outcome has been incredibly profitable — over $1.9 billion in sales, with 9,000 employees and independent representatives.”

'A passion project:' Varsity Brands not only sells sports gear, but works to create school spirit | Generational Insights

USA Cheer – 15 Board seats of which 9 are Varsity employees and 1, the Exec Direc was hired from a Varsity comp

“USASF / 18 Board seats of which 12 are Varsity Employees (direct and contractual)”
US All Star Federation: USASF Board and Committees

IASF has removed their list of Board members from online. I have the list on my laptop. If memory serves Varsity controls roughly 70% of those seats.

Varsity Brands Owns Cheerleading and Fights to Keep it From Becoming an Official Sport
LEIF REIGSTAD | JULY 21, 2015 | 7:00AM

https://cheerwatchdog.wordpress.com

Varsity Brands Finds Bigger Growth Partner In Bain Capital
Posted by SGB Media | Jun 20, 2018 |

Chief Executive Magazine, 2018

Varsity Financials SEC CIK #0000874786, 2003

SEC Info - Varsity Brands Inc - S-1/A on 2/2/00

Hoover’s, 2020

Varsity Brands | The Fashion Industry Law Blog

Private equity firm celebrates $2.5B sale of Varsity Brands
By Richard Morgan, New York Post June 19, 2018

Varsity Brands Finds Bigger Growth Partner In Bain Capital
Posted by SGB Media | Jun 20, 2018 |

“Varsity Brands charges $200 per camper for its four-day session, meaning participants and their parents shell out an estimated $54 million for the camps alone. There are also additional costs associated with the camp experience — including must-have apparel, photos, videos and late night pizzas — all which can add up to more than $500 per cheerleader.”

Note: This was in 2002 BEFORE Varsity completed acquisitions of independent event producers and camps.

Mellody's Math: Cheerleading Ca-Ching - ABC News

“Bain Capital Private Equity bought Varsity Brands for $2.5 billion in 2018. Varsity Brands' annual revenues exceed $1.35 billion, according to the company. It has more than 4,000 full-time employees.

“330,000 athletes in teams attend over 4,000 Varsity Spirit cheerleading training camps each summer.

Varsity Spirit puts on over 600 cheerleading competitions across the country annually. The events attract some 900,000
participants. The company has partnered with Disney for 25 years and hosts nearly 90,000 athletes at seven of Varsity Spirit's most premier events at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Fla.

For the last 35 years, Varsity Spirit partnered with ESPN to broadcast their cheerleading competitions around the world. The broadcasts reach over 100 million homes and 32 countries annually.”

Bain Capital Private Equity bought Varsity Brands for $2.5 billion in 2018. Varsity Brands' annual revenues exceed $1.35 billion, according to the company. It has more than 4,000 full-time employees

DFW sports company acquired by Bain Capital in estimated $2.5B deal, 2018”

https://www.investors.com/news/mana...ding-with-focus-on-athleticism-entertainment/

The Battle for the Cheerleading-Uniform Industry Is Surprisingly Cutthroat and Appropriately Glittery
By LEIGH BUCHANAN
FEB 22, 20163:34 PM

Honestly I could provide dozens more. These conversations (and sources) have been taking place, privately, for years.

Do you have proof of this? I really don't see the 90% of uniform market control. Outside of the all-star world (rec & school, which are both really big), Varsity does not have a big stronghold. I've coach at a handful of those programs and none of them used Varsity OR Rebel. They use much cheaper, no name brands. Throw in the gyms that use Rebel and I just don't see them controlling 90% of the uniform market.

I provided sources in another post with one correction - it’s 90% of the uniform it’s 80% which I indicated in an earlier post. It’s 90% of the cheer market over all.

Sources posted

Back