All-Star Varsity's Monopoly

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Catlady - Are you Jeff Webb?

Lol, when a woman has a little bit of knowledge in corporate business, someone always has to go all 1950's and give some man the credit.

Well one of their original investors was Jeffrey Epstein... he is pretty mysterious but not nearly as mysterious as Ghislaine Maxwell (Epstein’s recruiter) whose father Robert Maxwell was an original investor in Bain Capital

You don't have to convince me the majority of wealthy people aren't angels, remember I'm the one waiting to hear who all of these wealthy nonprofit saints are that are going to make cheer cheaper for the masses.

All I have to say is if Varsity owns 80% of the apparel market, why the heck is my mailbox so full of uniform catalogs? It’s annoying as heck...

Lol, when a woman has a little bit of knowledge in corporate business, someone always has to go all 1950's and give some man the credit.

You don't have to convince me the majority of wealthy people aren't angels, remember I'm the one waiting to hear who all of these wealthy nonprofit saints are that are going to make cheer cheaper for the masses.
Ahh yes but in the case of Cheer we are talking about intentional deregulation efforts while escalating the costs.

Ahh yes but in the case of Cheer we are talking about intentional deregulation efforts while escalating the costs.

Are you trying to make the argument that there is some wealthy saint out there that is going to swoop in and welcome and encourage regulation? ;)

Are you trying to make the argument that there is some wealthy saint out there that is going to swoop in and welcome and encourage regulation? ;)

I Think you are trying to make that argument that it would take a wealthy saint to bring regulation to a sport. It’s already been done and not by rich saints but well intentioned mortals.. As always, I do appreciate your perspective and business acumen and your sense of humor. I do think your neighbor attorney is probably very smart as well... but he doesn’t know the inside tangled web. It looks good on paper though.

@coachrah

Back in the 70's and 80's many HS's had gymnastic programs, but the majority were let go because there weren't enough qualified coaches, the insurance costs were high, and equipment cost and storage. From a 2003 Athletic Business <article>: Between 1977 and 2001, according to the NFHS, the number of high school female gymnasts in the United States fell by 75 percent, from an all-time high of 84,943 in 3,655 schools to a near all-time low of 21,034 in 1,548 schools. The numbers for boys are even more staggering, dropping almost 95 percent between 1971, when there were 40,530 participants at 1,881 schools, and 2001, when just 176 schools provided opportunities for 2,223 gymnasts.

Putting on a corporate hat, I would fight regulation, as well. Regulation would more than likely ground cheer at the majority of HS's. HS's aren't going to purposely seek out qualified cheer coaches to put on their payroll. Lastly, if Varsity didn't have tangled webs, it wouldn't be a Corp. The fact that cheer is a small community lends to all of their "OMG, if you only knew" drama. Corp business is Corporate business, contract law is contract law, there's nothing that makes Varsity more controversial or special than any other Corp. In fact, if you compare them to drug, chemical, environmental, petroleum, tech, food Corps, the US government, and foreign governments, they really do look like angels.

@coachrah

Back in the 70's and 80's many HS's had gymnastic programs, but the majority were let go because there weren't enough qualified coaches, the insurance costs were high, and equipment cost and storage. From a 2003 Athletic Business <article>: Between 1977 and 2001, according to the NFHS, the number of high school female gymnasts in the United States fell by 75 percent, from an all-time high of 84,943 in 3,655 schools to a near all-time low of 21,034 in 1,548 schools. The numbers for boys are even more staggering, dropping almost 95 percent between 1971, when there were 40,530 participants at 1,881 schools, and 2001, when just 176 schools provided opportunities for 2,223 gymnasts.

Putting on a corporate hat, I would fight regulation, as well. Regulation would more than likely ground cheer at the majority of HS's. HS's aren't going to purposely seek out qualified cheer coaches to put on their payroll. Lastly, if Varsity didn't have tangled webs, it wouldn't be a Corp. The fact that cheer is a small community lends to all of their "OMG, if you only knew" drama. Corp business is Corporate business, contract law is contract law, there's nothing that makes Varsity more controversial or special than any other Corp. In fact, if you compare them to drug, chemical, environmental, petroleum, tech, food Corps, the US government, and foreign governments, they really do look like angels.

Oh I see what you are saying. If unregulated the under qualified coaches can fly under the
radar. The majority of Athletes won’t get trainers while doing sport maneuvers on grass and rubberized track surfaces. National championships will have no sport like path... But there will be many pretending to be one every other weekend. There will be no reporting center for sexual predators. No transparency on collected membership fees. There will be rules and regurgitated bylaws pretending to be sport-like with no ability to penalize those that break them. And those that want better for children and won’t wear corporate asshattery are drama seekers. I get it. Their halo is blinding me but I get it.

Oh I see what you are saying. If unregulated the under qualified coaches can fly under the
radar. The majority of Athletes won’t get trainers while doing sport maneuvers on grass and rubberized track surfacesships will have no sport like path... But there will be many pretending to be one every other weekend. There will be no reporting center for sexual predators. No transparency on collected membership fees. There will be rules and regurgitated bylaws pretending to be sport-like with no ability to penalize those that break them. And those that want better for children and won’t wear corporate asshattery are drama seekers. I get it. Their halo is blinding me but I get it.
Agree with all of this and really do not think the desire to be unregulated has any bearing on whether something SHOULD be regulated.

Agree with all of this and really do not think the desire to be unregulated has any bearing on whether something SHOULD be regulated.

How did regulation stop physical and emotional abuse in gymnastics? The abuse was reported many times and still continued. The premise of regulation sounds great, but it certainly doesn't stop idiocy, abuse, fraud, inherit risks, etc. I'd counter your argument with the fact that a lot of abuse of power and fraud happens when regulation takes over. Our food, drugs, and environmental chemicals are regulated, anyone care to talk about the rise of cancer and auto immune disease?

I don't know where the IOC is in fully recognizing the ICU as an official Olympic sport, but impacting the HS feeders with expense and possible elimination seems counter productive in helping cheers sport path. If I truly believed that regulation would provide well trained and non abusive coaches to every HS, and mats that would actually be used at practice and not just left aside to save time or spring floors that were going to be carried in and out of storage for practice, then I might be able to get on board with regulation.

How did regulation stop physical and emotional abuse in gymnastics? The abuse was reported many times and still continued. The premise of regulation sounds great, but it certainly doesn't stop idiocy, abuse, fraud, inherit risks, etc. I'd counter your argument with the fact that a lot of abuse of power and fraud happens when regulation takes over. Our food, drugs, and environmental chemicals are regulated, anyone care to talk about the rise of cancer and auto immune disease?

I don't know where the IOC is in fully recognizing the ICU as an official Olympic sport, but impacting the HS feeders with expense and possible elimination seems counter productive in helping cheers sport path. If I truly believed that regulation would provide well trained and non abusive coaches to every HS, and mats that would actually be used at practice and not just left aside to save time or spring floors that were going to be carried in and out of storage for practice, then I might be able to get on board with regulation.

The evolving transparency in sexual abuse, harassment, bullying, emotional and physical impropriety has lead to sweeping revisions in sport legislation. The #Metoo movement is not going away any day soon. USA Swimming, Wrestling, Diving Martial Arts and Gymnastics have all had their issues. Add the Catholic Church, Boy Scouts, Hollywood, Politics, and the Music Industry to that list. The Governing Bodies of all sports and the higher agency that they report to have been under widespread and rapid change as it pertains to policy. As a Division One collegiate coach I am required to test on multiple platforms from institutional such as The Clery Act and Title IX , to the State level for Mandatory Reporting and to the NCAA on Sexual Assault and Catastrophic Injury Prevention. The deaths of Frostburg State and University of Maryland’s football players during preseason drills and training has resulted in multilayered areas of protection for student-athletes. They have changed the certification process for Strength and Conditioning coaches in response to those said lawsuits and Pre-season guidelines with distinct regulations that speak to athlete readiness. USA Soccer in response to head injuries, concussions and CTE was in my opinion extremely smart in their “heading “the ball changes. They were proactive rather than reactive. Football not so much and in their resistance for flag under 14, youth participation numbers are drastically dropping and insurance is escalating. I highly doubt that the argument of keeping cheerleading unregulated to grow the sport would bear weight wear within the Courts. As the American Medical Association has repeatedly noted they are doing acrobatic, aerial and gymnastic maneuvers. Varsity/Ridell and another entity was sued in 2012 by a former NFL player for CTE. One cannot feign willful blindness as a means to growth over safety standards. Heck, NFL pro Reggie Bush was awarded millions for running off the turf and onto the surrounding concrete surface. And I 100 thousand percent agree with you that regulation will not deter the savviest of predators or silence keepers BUT with regulation and the EDUCATION that is afforded to the participants because of that regulation they are more empowered to utilize their resources. They are afforded the OPPORTUNITY to know and utilize the protective measures. Mental health counselors and professionals are service providers. I truly value your insight as you are a very candid and intelligent. What in your opinion would be the downside of regulation for the athlete? And please note ... there is no safe space to report abuse that brings a meaningful penalty while under investigation for cheer. None to my knowledge anyway.

Last edited:
The evolving transparency in sexual abuse, harassment, bullying, emotional and physical impropriety has lead to sweeping revisions in sport legislation. The #Metoo movement is not going away any day soon. USA Swimming, Wrestling, Diving Martial Arts and Gymnastics have all had their issues. Add the Catholic Church, Boy Scouts, Hollywood, Politics, and the Music Industry to that list. The Governing Bodies of all sports and the higher agency that they report to have been under widespread and rapid change as it pertains to policy. As a Division One collegiate coach I am required to test on multiple platforms from institutional such as The Clery Act and Title IX , to the State level for Mandatory Reporting and to the NCAA on Sexual Assault and Catastrophic Injury Prevention. The deaths of Frostburg State and University of Maryland’s football players during preseason drills and training has resulted in multilayered areas of protection for student-athletes. They have changed the certification process for Strength and Conditioning coaches in response to those said lawsuits and Pre-season guidelines with distinct regulations that speak to athlete readiness. USA Soccer in response to head injuries, concussions and CTE was in my opinion extremely smart in their “heading “the ball changes. They were proactive rather than reactive. Football not so much and in their resistance for flag under 14, youth participation numbers are drastically dropping and insurance is escalating. I highly doubt that the argument of keeping cheerleading unregulated to grow the sport would bear weight wear within the Courts. As the American Medical Association has repeatedly noted they are doing acrobatic, aerial and gymnastic maneuvers. Varsity/Ridell and another entity was sued in 2012 by a former NFL player for CTE. One cannot feign willful blindness as a means to growth over safety standards. Heck, NFL pro Reggie Bush was awarded millions for running off the turf and onto the surrounding concrete surface. And I 100 thousand percent agree with you that regulation will not deter the savviest of predators or silence keepers BUT with regulation and the EDUCATION that is afforded to the participants because of that regulation they are more empowered to utilize their resources. They are afforded the OPPORTUNITY to know and utilize the protective measures. Mental health counselors and professionals are service providers. I truly value your insight as you are a very candid and intelligent. What in your opinion would be the downside of regulation for the athlete? And please note ... there is no safe space to report abuse that brings a meaningful penalty while under investigation for cheer. None to my knowledge anyway.

What I will agree with is EDUCATION, and good people, are the best regulators around. Whether #Metoo, Smoking, Vaping, Concussions, Opioid Crisis, etc. the biggest changes have happened when people are educated. As with concussions, that information didn't come from a sport governing body, the information that truly impacted people came from the documentary Peter Landesman wrote and produced. #Metoo didn't come from a government group, it came from women that were tired of the silence and shame. Title IX doesn't come without its own controversies and is being challenged not only by the accused, but the victims, as well. Public schools are struggling to meet regulatory math, science and reading scores with their current budgets, and as I said in my first statement, I believe the majority of schools would be forced to ground their cheer programs if regulated. There is no money just sitting around waiting to "afford cheerleaders the opportunity to know and utilize protective measures." Honestly, I hope you're right and I'm wrong, and thank you, I love a great discussion and appreciate your input, as well.

@dat.jpp the above video was put together and articulated well, however, there really wasn't anything to expose. Varsity created businesses to support their businesses (camps, comps and product), from there, it opened the door for private gym owners and other cheer related businesses. Currently, there is no sport to take back, because the score sheet, age grids, safety regulations, etc. continue to evolve every year to adapt to cheers fast growth, skill level, and safety needs. If the IOC fully recognizes the ICU as a sport, I believe it will cause another huge evolution from the top down. Like everything though, unfortunately, it takes a lot of money and patience to get there.

Last edited:
Oh man the video was set to private. I really hope this girl continues with the series, I would give her shimmies if Youtube had the option.

Back