All-Star Violence In The Sport

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not any more than it matters that the USASF hasn't done anything. Quite frankly, I don't know what you think they should do. In other youth activities, a fight might get you suspended from a game or two, maybe the rest of a tournament, but you can be sure the kid would play the rest of the season if the coach allowed it.

I'm not giving the coach a pass on this one, that would be grounds for removal from any team I coached; but we all know all star cheer coaches are not well-known for placing character above victory. However, if the team on the receiving end chose not to seek retribution through the USASF, I'm absolving the USASF of responsibility on this one because I don't think they have jurisdiction to go looking for problems when no one has reported it.

I don't feel this falls on USASF... it falls on the coaches. And let's face it... if the child is talented or needed most all star coaches are willing to look so far the other way and/or make excuses rather than remove the athlete from the team. A less-talented member of the team might be made an example of for the same infraction.

So a male athlete physically assaults a female athlete at a competition earlier in the season. They are both in their early teens. This male athlete is still competing and being allowed to attend competitions because the USASF says they have not received a complaint. Shouldn't they be proactive upon hearing about this and conduct their own investigation? Shouldn't this male athlete be banned from competing at all? If this was any other sport I'm sure he would be suspended. When do we let ethics and safety of the athletes take priority over talent of an athlete? Thoughts?

Were the police contacted? If yes, then USASF needs to be given a copy of the report.

If not, then that is on the parents and coaches for not handling the situation correctly at the beginning of the incident.

Also, how old were these kids? You said early teens, do you mean 14-16 teens? or 11-13 teens? Was it an assault, or younger kids who can't keep their hands to themselves.? With little kids 11-13, their immaturity can change the dynamics of the situation. Was there bullying? "tweens" bully regardless of gender; a girl can bully a boy. Hitting is never justified, but in these situations, with kids that young (hormones, etc), it happens. Ask any middle school teacher.

With younger kids, sometimes things can be resolved with a time out, lecture, apology, shake hands, and talk to the parents. If the kids were older, it may be a real abuse situation. Has either of the athletes been involved with anything like this before? Are their numerous complaints? Is there a history of violence with this athlete? With either athlete? Did the parents of the athletes involved have a meeting with the coach? Maybe they all decided, collectively, that it was a minor issue and to put it behind them.

You need to clarify these things before you start in. Rumors have a a way of opening wounds that are healing. It may not be the healthiest thing to broadcast or speculate on something that may not have been what it appeared, to someone on the outside looking in. At least, I wouldn't want someone doing that to me on a message board if I were one of these kids. Would you want that for your CP?
JMHO

Last edited:
Back